Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #43
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tainoxl View Post
Guys have to remember there is awhole new generation coming up. A few years ago if you wanted affordable performance and quality we the nintendo generation had mostly imports to look foward too. Now we have these sexy and quality built muscle cars. This is probably the Golden Age in American performance autos. Every one cried for the Z/28 well now you got it and boy is she a beast!
Makes me want to go pop Mario kart in my Nintendo now ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
3.91's, TSP Longtubes, SWG Tune, Vararam, and a heavy foot
jph2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:39 PM   #44
Cam2011

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Your wallet (and mine) is their competition.
Cam2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #45
tainoxl

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jph2275 View Post
Makes me want to go pop Mario kart in my Nintendo now ...
More of a Contra guy Zelda was alright too
tainoxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #46
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Yes ... And 007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
3.91's, TSP Longtubes, SWG Tune, Vararam, and a heavy foot
jph2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #47
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
gm shurely made some market research for it ..this Z/28 will sell.. maybe it's already sold out.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #48
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
That's simply not true. Look at all the M cars that BMW sells, all the RS cars that Porsche sells and don't forget the Z06. All are very capable for track days, even if they're not ready to go out and compete in a W2W race.

And regarding street legality, my W2W race car competes in a stock based class and is still street legal. Yes, it's ridiculously stiff and not much fun on the street, but I can still drive it to the track if I want to.
Theres a differences between a car thats is capable for tracking driving, and one that is only made for tracking driving.

A car that is made for only tracking driving would have a rock hard suspension and be low to the ground. Would most likely have a roll cage, most likely a loud and free flowing exhaust system because on the track emissions are less/not enforced.etc.... that a few thing off the top of my head.

I just get think the term "track car" is mis used a lot around.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:17 PM   #49
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
Theres a differences between a car thats is capable for tracking driving, and one that is only made for tracking driving.

A car that is made for only tracking driving would have a rock hard suspension and be low to the ground. Would most likely have a roll cage, most likely a loud and free flowing exhaust system because on the track emissions are less/not enforced.etc.... that a few thing off the top of my head.

I just get think the term "track car" is mis used a lot around.
I disagree. I think the term "track car" shows car companies realize they have a small cadre of loyal and vocal fans who would rather spend a day or afternoon at the track than on a golf course. It's a growing trend in Europe, and some major markets in North America. One I hope, that continues to grow. Bring on the self driving cars for the daily commute but give me an option of a track focused street legal car for a little bit of R'n'R.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #50
45TH RS

Drives: 2012 45TH 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
SS did not always mean big block.
Plenty of small block SS Camaro's. My first Camaro was a '69 SS that had the 350 in it.

Chevy is doing exactly the right thing with the new Z/28.
The 1st gen Z/28 was a track ready street legal car, created so they could go road racing.

I applaud them for not just slapping the Z/28 badge on a Camaro as an appearance package.
The new '14 Z/28 will be able to wear that badge with honor.

They knew going in this was going to be a special limited edition Camaro.
It is not for everybody. But those who buy one, will know exactly why they want it.

Cool styling with very good decent street performance: LS and LT models
Step it up a notch with V8 muscle: SS
For a little added track capability: Add the 1LE package to the SS
Style, comfort and track capability: ZL1
Ultimate track capability for a street car: Z/28

Well said!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #51
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS 2011 View Post
Call me crazy. Is there THAT much competition on the racetrack to offer these models? Z28 SS 1LE/SS COPO ZL1. I have stated in an earlier post that GM totally destroyed the traditional Camaro Badge naming convention by coming out with a Z28 and giving it a 427 . Z28 was always the model under the SS..It seems like they are trying to offer models like in the 60's that were rare etc.. which is a good thing.. but ..

Are they trying to revive or jump start a culture that now isn't quite what it was in this country years ago?

Are they just trying to compete with Ford for magazine bragging rights?

I mean who really can afford to buy a 60K Plus car just for the track. I'd rather build an older car to compete.. Then again that's just my opinion.

Or could it be that Government Motors is just spending the money that the Gov't gave them.

Who on this board goes to the track religously. I just wan't to guage the responses
You are very uninformed. Time to peruse the Z/28 threads.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:34 PM   #52
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
You didn't mention the COPO for the drag strip.
Your right, I did forget to mention the COPO.
But you can't just walk into a dealer and order one of those.

But it is nice to know Chevy has you covered there too.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #53
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Lets not forget there is a lot of money in this country. I think our government has a large majority of us believing the sky is falling. But have any of you looked at just the smallest things. There are always people at the gas line, the grocery stores are always packed, department store lots full. If the economy was in such turmoil, where would these people get the money they are spending? The housing market thing is a sham.......the gubment giving folks an out to abandon their responsibilities.
I think the demand for the ZL1 exceeded GM's expectations, and shows people do have money and are willing to spend it. I believe the Z/28, though limited in production, will sell easily and will be in great demand.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #54
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I think people keep confusing Z28s with THE Z/28. Big difference. This is like a modern version of THE Z/28.
Really? And just what is that deference?
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 02:59 AM   #55
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
Really? And just what is that deference?
1967 - 1969 Z/28 = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...rst_generation)

1970 - 1981 Z-28 = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...ond_generation) notice the lack of the / mark during this era. Between 1974 to 1977 1/2, there were no Z28's produced.

1982 - 1992 = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...ird_generation) notice the lack of the / mark during this era

1993 - 2002 = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrol...rth_generation) notice the lack of the / mark during this era

And if you look at your 73, it doesn't have the / in it. But of course you already knew that. You have all those Camaros and probably lived that era, you should know the difference.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:04 AM   #56
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
You didn't mention the COPO for the drag strip.

Like this? Exactly as the factory delivered ~200 of these Z/28s in 1991 except there was no passenger seat.
The windows had slides, no cranks.
I think they were competing with everyone

ya i would say that car is made for track purpose over daily driving. factory can produce track cars.

Last edited by mikeSS; 03-30-2013 at 03:21 AM.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote