Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #43
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Finally got all the parts, fittings and hoses together and completed the dry sump install right before C5 Fest. Ended up using a Z06 tall oil tank from ARE. Installed it where the HVAC stuff was at the back left of engine bay. Had to cut a small panel off of tank for proper right front wheel clearance. A/C deleted and pump sits where compressor used to be. Will dyno again soon to see if we picked up a few hp too.

PS If I had to do over again, I would have just installed tank in the trunk and let the long oil lines act as my oil cooler.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #44
jman17

Drives: 2011 SS-2/1969 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
I like to take my car to the road track. My LS3 had been modded to produce 500rwhp/465 lbs torque. I wanted more torque so that I could enter and exit corners and not focus on being in the right gear/rpm combo for fast smooth exits. This would allow me to focus on the right lines, hit my apexes, etc. I also wanted something fairly robust that wouldn't be running on the edge all the time. So after looking at all the stroked LS3 combo's, LSX options, etc we decided to do something different. We ordered and spec'd an ERL 500 cu in block. It's a LS block bored and sleeved with a forged bottom end. We asked Comp to design a cam to produce a monster flat torque curve (versus a peak hp build for drag racing). Heads are TSP LS7 400 cfm. LSXR 102 intake and we reused my NW 102 TB. 2 inch headers to a 3 inch catless exhaust. Parts started arriving in early November but the difficulty here is in the details. The first spacer plate (from ERL) for the intake didn't align properly. And with the heads/intake/etc now sitting higher in the car, lots of custom fabbing to make everything fit. Once put together and in the car, first firings had the engine a little too noisy for us to rest easy. After going back and forth with ERL/Comp/Lunatti we settled on the pushrod preload recommended by ERL and it sounds great now. Finally had it on the dyno for the initial tuning and after six runs the clutch slave cylindar failed. Damn...so close to getting my car back. It was making 590+/590+ before we really got into maxing the tune. The real world result was that this motor makes 100 ftlbs or more torque than my old motor all across the curve and makes good numbers starting at 2500 rpm. Once we get the clutch fixed, I'll post a dyno chart and give my driving impressions out on the road track. And after we break it in, then we're going drysump. Didn't want to do that now as it's hard enough to trouble shoot a new engine w/o having to worry about an oiling system too.

Well do some cosmetic stuff like getting rid of the "mardi gras" look of red/purple/black anodized aluminum with everything black, paint the intake cover, Katech valve covers, coil relocate, and do a custom wiring harness to neaten things up.
How'd you go about mounting your coils to the valve covers? Do they just use the same holes as the coil brackets?

2011 SS-2 LS3 M6 MODS: P1X ProCharger, Squash dual fuel pumps, ID fuel injectors, Cam: Pat G designed/EPS Ground (228/234 .629”/.629” 114 LSA +4 advance), Lethal Racing ported throttle-body and intake manifold, Kooks 1 7/8” Long Tube Headers, Dynomax Bullet Cat-Back System, Skip Shift Eliminator
jman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #45
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Coils were relocated off the valve covers using the KaTech Coil Relocation Kit and KaTech valve covers.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #46
jman17

Drives: 2011 SS-2/1969 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleblank View Post
Coils were relocated off the valve covers using the KaTech Coil Relocation Kit and KaTech valve covers.

Thanks Sir!

2011 SS-2 LS3 M6 MODS: P1X ProCharger, Squash dual fuel pumps, ID fuel injectors, Cam: Pat G designed/EPS Ground (228/234 .629”/.629” 114 LSA +4 advance), Lethal Racing ported throttle-body and intake manifold, Kooks 1 7/8” Long Tube Headers, Dynomax Bullet Cat-Back System, Skip Shift Eliminator
jman17 is offline   Reply With Quote