Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-28-2013, 06:02 PM   #43
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevey_frac View Post
Do we actually have any evidence of significant damage from that oil though? Like.. It's oil... It's a nice rust inhibiting compound, and it's not plugging anything... The milky crap people pull from their cars is just moisture... i.e. PCV doing exactly what it is supposed to. That water will just get kicked right through the engine.

Most cars aren't modified, and it's not like we see an epidemic of cars going in for dirty intakes...
... So... I'm not so hot on the catch can.
With a direct injection engine we don't have the benefit of fuel passing over the tops of valves in the intake. It's a hot environment and oil is carbonized (basically turned into coal) when it enters the area.

Before long it can interfere with airflow and have adverse effects on engine performance.

Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #44
stevey_frac

Drives: 2010 LT2/RS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
With a direct injection engine we don't have the benefit of fuel passing over the tops of valves in the intake. It's a hot environment and oil is carbonized (basically turned into coal) when it enters the area.

Before long it can interfere with airflow and have adverse effects on engine performance.
Does someone has a dyno of this then? Not trying to be contrary here, I just want more proof than 'My intake isn't clean any more'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
The catch can would warm up as the engine does so freezing shouldn't be a problem. I can only speak my experience of not having a catch can for the first 18 months of having my car, owned from mile one. My car would hesitate, sputter, then I bought a used catch can from another C5 member. NIGHT and Day, No hesitation, clean manifold. As for the comment about cars not going in for service for dirty intake. The 24000 mile service is a Top End Cleaning...IE you pay $ to have the intake cleaned. Get a catch can!
That there is a top end cleaning service is telling ... That's a fair point. I'm still hesitant on the catch can freezing. All that goop in there IS going to turn into a block of ice at -40C. Then you're going to run mildly warm / moist air over it for 20 minutes (at which point the oil is still only around freezing), then you're going to turn it off and do it again. That can only go on for so long until bad things happen. GM didn't just give up sales by saying "don't install this in the winter' for no good reason ...
275 / 40 / 20 Continental ExtremeContact DW's on all corners

Next up:
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Purchased but not installed)
EBC Redstuff street pads
Carbotech XP8 / XP12 track pads
1LE Track Pack

Note: This car built by JDP Motorsports!

Last edited by stevey_frac; 10-28-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Saw other post.
stevey_frac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apex motorsports, llt v6, v6 camaro performance