Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-12-2015, 09:56 AM   #43
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
When did a car become an asset?
You can sell it. It has liquidity. It is really both an asset and a liability. An asset can be a poor one. In this case, it is a depreciating asset.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #44
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Choco, we are yet to track our 1LE. That day will come, but until it does, there is not one single curve or corner that I go through that I do not know that the correct choice was made. You either appreciate and enjoy awesome handling or you don't, and from your comments it's not very important to you. You like drag cars, as do I. It's why we hang on to the big block '69, and yes, due to the gearing, suspension and tire, a standard SS might outperform a 1LE at the drag strip, but that same standard SS is going to get its lunch handed to it on a nice twisty road. They really are two different cars. Pick the right tool for what you want to do. For what it's worth, we would not consider buying a gen 5 camaro until the 1LE package was introduced. I was not at all impressed during the test drive of the standard SS.
And that's fine. If you like the 1LE, get the 1LE. I personally love the looks of the 1LE. Is it better than an SS? That depends on the person. For the average person, the answer is "no." The average person that buys a Camaro cares more about straight line performance, muscle cars have their heritage at a drag strip, not the track.

I think most people that buy a Camaro regardless of model will never see a track of any kind. Of those that do, it'll overwhelmingly be a drag strip, so I would estimate most would not want to spend an extra $3,500 on a package that would diminish drag strip performance.

But that being said, that's why it's an option. I think people need to actually look at what they're purchasing. The 1LE package is a performance package, but it may not be the performance you're looking for. It takes away a bit of straight line performance and traction for the gains in the twisty.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:11 AM   #45
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
And that's fine. If you like the 1LE, get the 1LE. I personally love the looks of the 1LE. Is it better than an SS? That depends on the person. For the average person, the answer is "no." The average person that buys a Camaro cares more about straight line performance, muscle cars have their heritage at a drag strip, not the track.

I think most people that buy a Camaro regardless of model will never see a track of any kind. Of those that do, it'll overwhelmingly be a drag strip, so I would estimate most would not want to spend an extra $3,500 on a package that would diminish drag strip performance.

But that being said, that's why it's an option. I think people need to actually look at what they're purchasing. The 1LE package is a performance package, but it may not be the performance you're looking for. It takes away a bit of straight line performance and traction for the gains in the twisty.
I agree with this, and these thoughts support the comments made by Engineer Al in the 1LE intro video where he talked about it being a car for about 2% of the Camaro consumer.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:45 AM   #46
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Keep the V6.
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:54 AM   #47
custommx3

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2023 3LT RS, 2011 2LT RS
I too had a little buyers remorse, but the plan from day one was to give the car to my son when I feel he's old enough. He picked it out. I get told daily on how nice my car is by strangers, and I really enjoy them telling me on how much they love the Camaro. I never plan on racing my car, and the tap shift auto is perfectly fine for my long commutes in heavy traffic. I wish I had the rumble of a v8, but I dont regret the V6, every time I fill up.
custommx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:19 PM   #48
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
V6 Camaros is a lot of car for the money. An excellent value.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:42 PM   #49
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I feel ya...

I skipped the V6 to 2SS and went straight to the ZL1. Didn't want to upgrade twice.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:05 PM   #50
Sandman1969

Drives: 2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Kaboom, That ZL1 is gorgeous!

I am positive I will be happy with the 2SS. At that point if I want to get more I will start looking at some mods then. I may try to find a used one as well, ideally 2014 or 2015 as I love the tail lights and I really like how they changed the hood scoop to more "ZL1'ish" with the middle louvers.

At the time of the purchase I wanted to keep my payments relatively down, however, the more I thought of it the more I should have went ahead and gone up to the 2SS/RS. Also, I am at a better position now with getting rid of a good chunk of debt since then.

2015 2SS Red Hot Adrenaline
Sandman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #51
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Only thing I regret is not having a bigger garage

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:41 AM   #52
Sandman1969

I went into the dealership the other day and I didn't budge on what I wanted to get out of the deal. They came up 4k on the trade-in and pretty much covered the payoff on it. Actually it would now as another payment cleared.

Got the 2SS/RS with NAV and sunroof down to about 37,500 I think it was before the fees. They would have to had to get it moved from another dealership as I am definitely sticking with Red and they only had solid black in stock.

But still didn't like the jump in payments it would get me, even with 0.0% financing.

I may discuss a lease as I only put about 8k a year on the car with my incredibly awesome commute. So don't miss the 50 mile drive up to DC every morning. Now I am 8 miles away and don't even have to touch the interstate.

We leased my wife's pilot and dont' have any regrets with that. So gonna see what they can do with that. Then I could buy it after turn-in if I like.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:49 AM   #53
BigRedViking

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 5.7L 2016 1SS M6 NGM
Send a message via Yahoo to BigRedViking
Usually when people say "I LOVE your car!" The next question is "Is it a V8?!?" I kinda enjoy telling them I got the base model My other Camaro is a V8 that gets about 12mpg... I'm very happy with my V6 Camaro, the 24 valve four cam forged crankshaft engine has really impressed me. Definitely get the one that you want, I'd hate for you to be unhappy in your Camaro! Camaro has always been a performance car, not a muscle car, or a pony car. When I think of a muscle car, I think of the Chevelle! I would love to see the rebirth of the Chevelle SS! My dad had a 1968 Chevelle SS 396 four speed, we called it The Bumpy Car! He sold it in 1985 for 500$ and joined the V6 Camaro club.

I always wondered why he went from the big block to a V6, it was a better handling car. When the 3.8 liter debuted in the 96' he got one of those too! I'm sure he had intended for the 85' to be my first car, and it was. But I had to have a V8, and I almost died in that car due to being young, and dumb. Times have changed, and with the standardization of the aluminum V8 handling has greatly improved! But, I have realized that it's better to add power to a naturally lighter vehicle. Remember that the first Camaro was a 6!
BigRedViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #54
Sandman1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedViking View Post
Usually when people say "I LOVE your car!" The next question is "Is it a V8?!?" I kinda enjoy telling them I got the base model My other Camaro is a V8 that gets about 12mpg... I'm very happy with my V6 Camaro, the 24 valve four cam forged crankshaft engine has really impressed me. Definitely get the one that you want, I'd hate for you to be unhappy in your Camaro! Camaro has always been a performance car, not a muscle car, or a pony car. When I think of a muscle car, I think of the Chevelle! I would love to see the rebirth of the Chevelle SS! My dad had a 1968 Chevelle SS 396 four speed, we called it The Bumpy Car! He sold it in 1985 for 500$ and joined the V6 Camaro club.

I always wondered why he went from the big block to a V6, it was a better handling car. When the 3.8 liter debuted in the 96' he got one of those too! I'm sure he had intended for the 85' to be my first car, and it was. But I had to have a V8, and I almost died in that car due to being young, and dumb. Times have changed, and with the standardization of the aluminum V8 handling has greatly improved! But, I have realized that it's better to add power to a naturally lighter vehicle. Remember that the first Camaro was a 6!
Don't get me wrong, I really do LOVE my car. It is awesome in every way, except with it not being a V8 and having that sound. Yeah I can put exhaust on the V8, but it will never be a V8.

Nice on the Dad's chevelle. My dad had a 69 with a LT1 in it. He would run it at Manassass when I was young

It was gonig to be my first car, but the housign market tanked and he had to close up shop and sold it to a father for his Daughter's graduation present. I think he sold it for right around a grand in, funny about the same year as your Dad did.

She totaled it like 2 weeks later!

Old 06-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #55
BigRedViking

Drives: 1987 IROC-Z 5.7L 2016 1SS M6 NGM
Send a message via Yahoo to BigRedViking
I miss The Bumpy Car, so I think I might have to do one as my next project! LS engine, six, or a seven speed. I really like those 96-00 vortec 7400 engines though. But I will admit that the LS platform is far superior. For the record, my V6 has more drones than the government but they can sound really nice! Just depends on your preferences, I love them all ! Especially my 87' Camaro with the 5.7 with full exhaust, and high performance cylinder heads! That's the last project I got to work on with dad, priceless!
BigRedViking is offline   Reply With Quote