Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-22-2015, 10:30 PM   #43
Vick415

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Check out this post:https://m.facebook.com/ACRATT/photos...pe=3&source=54
Vick415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:53 PM   #44
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Have the PD who took your report contact OnStar and give them your VIN. They can trace it if they want to regardless of whether you are subscribed or not, but it usually takes law enforcement intervention to get them to do it.

OnStar are assholes unless you're paying them.
Onstar will be disabled before the car leaves the scene. These cars in Cali are driven away in minutes. Onstar is completely useless.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:44 AM   #45
RDBURNR

Drives: 2016 Camarro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeDawn View Post
Somebody from the FBI needs to have somebody join one of these groups and get tons of Intel on them and nab them when the time is right. You can't rely on local Law Enforcement anymore. They're overwhelmed with other crap, and this sort of shit most likely gets thrown in a pile of paperwork.

It's time everyone band together and contact the local FBI Office and see if something can be done. If the numbers you posted are correct (30 to 40 a week), that's a good reason to go to the next level up the food chain. I'd be seething if this were my ride (since this is my only ride).

I live in a decent area, but it can still happen here too! Too bad KARMA won't happen since it's a pile of rubbish. Hopefully these idiots will get caught in the act soon and snitched out. Hopefully they'll get the entire ring of soulless/heartless cowards.

These idiots are prob stripping it and selling it on Craigslist! I think EVERYONE should put a special indentation/mark on their engine somewhere. If an engine gets sold on Craigslist (and your vehicle as recently stolen) you should ask to check it out as a possible interest/buyer for Drag Racing Purposes with a Beater Car and see if that mark is there.

There has to be a way.

**The Bay Area** is a draining place. Just today after work the traffic was HORRIBLE (gridlock) and I read that it's only roughly 80 thousand cars on the road a day here in NorCal combined with San Jose, SF and general Bay Area traffic. I mean holy crap! Los Angeles has a projected of 250 thousand cars a day.

This is INSANE! I blame it on tons of foreigners overpopulating every city and creating a huge massive cluster ****. I truly want to get the Hell out of here! I hate it now, I truly do. Everyone is inconsiderate, rude, snobbish, elitist, and irritating! The cost of living is a crisis here and the only GOOD THING is the food........oh and the fact that you can hop over to any major city within 45 minutes. That's it! NOTHING MORE.

The weather may be clear and nice, but we lack rain BADLY...Hopefully El Nino will make a difference ....if it does for the matter! I mean they were talking about shutting off your water after a specific time! Thankfully I live with my folks and pay a lot less rent every month rather than living on my own and paying around 3000 a month. I mean my paycheck every weeks combined can't even cover 3000.......You need to live with a roommate or get out of the Bay Area to survive now.

These last 8 years have been miserable for me......I've owed the State for the second time in my life and I still get paid the same. Inflation is killing me! I catch myself getting stressed and pissed off every time I read about stolen Camaro's...I feel bad for you guys, I truly do. It angers me that nothing is being done.....This place sucks now.....I miss the late 90s and early 2000s (except for 9/11/01). I remember when traffic was a breeze, and occasionally....OCCASSSSIONALLY there was a pocket of traffic on 92 or 101 ......peek hour 5ish....NOW IT'S ALL THE FRIGGEN TIME.

Is there a way we can submit/create a petition to the Moderators and Administrator to have a special Headline about the Stolen Camaro's in the Bay Area?
Unless part of a local Task Force, there would have to be an Interstate nexus, car outbound of California for the FBI to have a federal interest.
RDBURNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:49 AM   #46
jimlem

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I know this is not exactly what you want to hear but the FBI only gets involved in stuff that crosses state lines or is committed over phones, internet etc. (Wire Fraud)

Take heart though. Most PDs, even smaller ones have a car theft squad. Many times 6-8 PDs will form a regional task force. This is the best setup cause they get intel and extra officers from many depts. Believe it or not these guys are aces. They know where all the chop shops are, who's doing and where, etc. They usually try and make a bust when the big men are present. It may seem like they aren't doing much but read the papers. When they do take down a big chop shop you'll be reading about it for days.

Not much they can do if they find your stripped and burned hulk. But at least they can tell your insurance to stop stalling the car is never going to be found.

Last edited by jimlem; 09-23-2015 at 04:00 AM. Reason: spelling
jimlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:51 AM   #47
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Sorry to hear that. Hope no one chops it.
Troy
Old 09-23-2015, 04:47 AM   #48
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal ZL1 View Post
Onstar will be disabled before the car leaves the scene. These cars in Cali are driven away in minutes. Onstar is completely useless.
Probably... but maybe not. It's worth a shot.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:51 AM   #49
ActNup NY

Drives: 2011 1LT Black Camaro
Sorry to hear!! Good luck on your search.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #50
dantemcc

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Man, these stories are starting to put some fear into me. I dont live in Cali anymore and when i did i stayed in the bay (510 Hayward) and it was a known town for car thefts in the early 2000's. My brother had his decked out Accord couple stolen. People are saying aftermarket security systems and gps are the way to go. What brand of systems are recommended?

Sorry OP for your loss. Hope you get her back in one piece and undamaged.
dantemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 06:49 AM   #51
SimplyJa5on

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Dude, I'm sorry I would cry like a baby if something happened to my camaro.
SimplyJa5on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:07 AM   #52
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Did you have your car serviced recently at a dealership? In 2001 I had a 2000 WS6 Trans Am that was stolen. Someone at the dealership was definitely involved, long story. But theses theft rings will pay people at dealerships for information on specific cars they are looking for. That way the thieves get the specific car they are looking for and the car is sent out of the country in a container to a client overseas.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #53
jason2574

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 12/29/14-9/21/15(RIP);
Hi, guys. Thanks for all the kind thoughts (and occasional rants).

Today's update is that there is nothing to update. Still no news, and in this case no news is definitely not good news (that's a triple negative, but oh well).

Talking with my insurance agent to give a detailed statement in about an hour...
jason2574 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #54
thegreatwhite

Drives: 2014 SS
i live near the bay area and have been coming on the board for awhile now and as far i know this has been goin on for a long time. last i heard its at an epidemic level i read last year 3-5 camaros were getting stolen every week, thats why i asked in another post if its still at the rate it was i heard before. im eager to hear if law enforcement has made any kind of progress or any news at all. i dont drive my camaro when i go to the bay cause of the stories iv read on here, their stealing them straight off dealer lots, out of peoples driveways and right off the side of the street. dont know if its multiple groups of people responsible but there is at least 1 gang with pretty good car jacking skills. they hack the onstar an alarm an then turn the car on an drive right off in just a few minutes and iv read they tow the cars. their stealing them so they can take out the LS3 an manual transmissions an sell those usually leaving the car somewhere in oakland. the LS3 is valuable overseas thats why their shipping them in containers. these guys are looking around for nice camaros i dont doubt at all that they saw you driving somewhere and followed to see where you parked it. ya it pisses me off. i dont like writing about it on here cause theres a good chance their comin on this board also to look for cars im only writing this to let any of you guys know that dont know yet. im tired of hearing about peoples prized possessions being taken by thieves. always keep an eye on it.
thegreatwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 11:38 AM   #55
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Sorry for your loss, Jason... this really sucks.

Another suggestion for those who are looking for ways to defeat the scumbags is to install a creative kill switch. You can go as cheap or as expensive as you want to go, but it just needs to be able to disable the car in a way that even professional shitbags are not going to be familiar with. They know how to defeat electronic disabling systems, alarms, LoJack, OnStar, etc., because that's all pretty standard stuff. But if you (or a custom shop) can install a kill switch, say, one that disables the fuel pump, or cuts battery power to the starter, or whatever with a hidden switch, that's a little tougher. Make it so that you have to flick the high beam switch three times... or turn the AC on while holding the radio button... or just put a toggle switch in an unexpected area (or disguise the toggle switch as something else!). Be creative...

It won't stop tow thefts, and it won't stop the lucky thieves... but it IS likely to prevent SOME thefts.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #56
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
It's time for bait Camaro
TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote