Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-06-2016, 10:33 AM   #43
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I don't see it as a "game" at all. The engine is just louder in the passenger compartment. Ok with me.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:42 AM   #44
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
You're still being played. At least into thinking you're making/using more power than you are.

Cue up "Won't get fooled again", by The Who . . .

Norm
Old 11-06-2016, 11:00 AM   #45
Mr. Grumpy
Car Enthusiast

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper16 View Post
You were misinformed. It does not deactivate in Sport or Track mode. It is just a tube. There is no valve to control it. It is always "ON".
He was't talking about the sound enhancer, he was referring to the noise cancelation feature in these cars.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #46
central limit

Drives: 2016 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
You're still being played. At least into thinking you're making/using more power than you are.

Cue up "Won't get fooled again", by The Who . . .

Norm
Out of curiosity, does this reasoning apply to anyone who purchased a car of any make with the option-up exhaust? GM (Camaro, Corvette, Commodore/SS), Porsche (911), Lamborghini (Huracan), Audi (various RS models), to name a few.
central limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:35 AM   #47
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grumpy View Post
He was't talking about the sound enhancer, he was referring to the noise cancelation feature in these cars.
You are correct sir. I completely miss read that post. Note to self: no posting until after 1st cup of coffee.

In the words of the immortal Rosanne Rosanna Danna "never mind".
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:38 AM   #48
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by central limit View Post
Out of curiosity, does this reasoning apply to anyone who purchased a car of any make with the option-up exhaust? GM (Camaro, Corvette, Commodore/SS), Porsche (911), Lamborghini (Huracan), Audi (various RS models), to name a few.
To the extent that they appeal more to the subjective impression of performance than actually add any performance - I will apply exactly the same reasoning.

I've been there with the mechanically-actuated dual-path muffler that was OE-fitted to the Maxima in my sig, and it was never on the 'make' side of 'make or break the deal'. Just something that was there with a few things I did want and the 5MT that if it wasn't there would have been the absolute deal-breaker. Had it been a stand-alone option, I wouldn't have paid more than maybe $10 for the claimed 5 extra HP. Not even a dime for the sound. And I actually like the sound of a sixxer.

Norm
Old 11-06-2016, 12:03 PM   #49
RenegadeXR

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Although I don't have a 6th gen for testing, has anybody taken an audio recording of revving the engine at a certain RPM both from the cabin and the exhaust? Maybe on a stock SS without NPP for example for the most fair baseline?

If they sound similar or the cabin is even a little more quiet, I don't see what the fuss is all about. You're getting a realistic representation of how the car sounds to other people. Better than hearing almost nothing from the cabin while people outside are nearly at the point of covering their ears. That's how my car is -- it's loud as f**k for people behind me, and I often don't realize it until something is next to or behind me to bounce the sound back to my ears.

Also it's not like the engine is pumping completely fake noise via speakers like Ford was doing. Now *that* is truly lame.
RenegadeXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #50
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeXR View Post

Also it's not like the engine is pumping completely fake noise via speakers like Ford was doing. Now *that* is truly lame.

Not sure what the point of all this is. I like to open my windows so I can hear the engine better
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #51
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
I'm putting on my tin foil hat. No way is GM gonna play any games with me.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:13 PM   #52
Michael2000

Drives: .
A lot of companies are faking engine sound now. I'm not a fan. The worst offenders are the one that play it through the stereo.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #53
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael2000 View Post
A lot of companies are faking engine sound now. I'm not a fan. The worst offenders are the one that play it through the stereo.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept
Quote:
I absolutely agree with this. Synthesized sounds that don't even have to belong to the engine that's installed in the car is, well, I'm kind of at a loss for words on this approach.

Quote:
If they sound similar or the cabin is even a little more quiet, I don't see what the fuss is all about. You're getting a realistic representation of how the car sounds to other people. Better than hearing almost nothing from the cabin while people outside are nearly at the point of covering their ears. That's how my car is -- it's loud as f**k for people behind me, and I often don't realize it until something is next to or behind me to bounce the sound back to my ears.
It's tacit admission that the features-and-luxury folks have gained too much control, to the point where interiors of performance models have become overly sterilized and anaesthetized "for your protection". This pendulum has swung too far.

Norm
Old 11-06-2016, 06:01 PM   #54
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
BMW is pretty bad about the engine noise playing through the speakers. The funny thing is, almost everyone on the forums thinks the cars sound better after the fake sound is deactivated.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 06:31 PM   #55
central limit

Drives: 2016 1LT M6
For anyone who considers the sound from the pipe to be fake:

If the actual intake tract was routed along the firewall and bolted to it, that would also make the intake sound louder. Would that be fake too?

The noise pipe makes this coupling possible, while letting the actual tract follow a logical, short path from throttle body to inlet.

Opening window = hear actual intake more clearly
Tube attaches intake to firewall = hear actual intake more clearly

Play fake engine sound through speakers = mask/camouflage intake and other combustion related noises
central limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #56
16CamaroSS

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro SS (2SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper16 View Post
First off - suzook and I have exchanged ideas in the past and I was just busting on him. = poking fun. If he wants to bust back it is his prerogative, not yours.

You should probably get more than 9 posts under your belt before you designate yourself as thread monitor and assume the responsibility of giving directions to forum members. Are you going to jump in every time a comment is made or a thread goes sideways? If so you are going to be very very busy. .........Now let's leave it at that.
Odd that since you were poking fun, you couldn't just say that the first go round but whatever.

And post count doesn't mean squat though I've gotten my thousands of posts over a variety of forums if it makes you feel better. What it really comes down to is basic forum "decorum" which is pretty universal. My guess is the the way you want to talk down to the "new guy" says a lot about you and post counts will never fix it.

So sure, I'll ignore your condescension towards someone who mistook a non-obvious joke for punkish behavior which was followed by actual punkish behavior and you can ignore anything I have to say and call it a day. Cheers.
16CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote