#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #43
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyman View Post
Enjoy what we have available now. These cars are from another universe compared to that 60s stuff which is by todays standards little more than unreliable, dangerous, junk that requires continuous maintanence. These are without question the very best of times in the auto performance world. You are quite correct about the electrics, much much more to come. You haven't even seen the tip of the iceberg in this arena. Keep in mind that these electrics are in their infancy and there has yet to be a purpose built electric performance car. Look out when it hits the street.
I like my 60's junk, I've touched every nut and bolt on the car. It's actually as reliable as any new car and superior in some ways. The greatest part about it is that I don't need anything but a laptop for ignition tuning but other than that I can use my decades old wrenches. My old junk isn't built to go around corners at all but it goes straight in short order. Having over 900 hp on tap with an old unreliable carburetor is a kick in the pants. Now having said all this, I'll go on record as one who would seriously consider the ZL1 were the (my) older 60's junk not faster (n/a at that). Lol
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #44
speedyman
Account Suspended

Drives: ATS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
I like my 60's junk, I've touched every nut and bolt on the car. It's actually as reliable as any new car and superior in some ways. The greatest part about it is that I don't need anything but a laptop for ignition tuning but other than that I can use my decades old wrenches. My old junk isn't built to go around corners at all but it goes straight in short order. Having over 900 hp on tap with an old unreliable carburetor is a kick in the pants. Now having said all this, I'll go on record as one who would seriously consider the ZL1 were the (my) older 60's junk not faster (n/a at that). Lol
Yeah, I did the whole nine yards with 60s junk for many years. unfortunately it was mostly Mustangs which were arguably the absolute worst cars ever made. Nightmare rust buckets that would rot and bend in half with 70,000 on them. 60s stuff is very cool to see at shows etc. but that is where it ends for me. No more laying underneath that garbage, no more weekly tune-ups, no more annual rust work, done, you can have that crap. I'll take a current ZL1, GT500, Z06, etc. and enjoy life. No comparison in my book and I have been around the block more time than I can remember with those old jack ass carts.
speedyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:54 PM   #45
93oh

Drives: 2017 ZL-1
Probably not ... but hell keep one in wrappper and anything is worth $
93oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #46
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Not for at least 30 years and that is not guaranteed a classic.

True story. I tried to save my 2010 (bought in 2009) SS2 Camaro. The car had crazy low miles when I traded it in for my 2013 ZL1. Sure a got a few dollars more but the car still sold for 2/3 what I paid.

So I vowed to drive my ZL1 a ton. 3 years and 31K miles later I traded it in. At the time many gen 5 ZL1 owners were selling. My car had 6 times the miles of many of the ones traded in. My trade value was 1,000 lower than a ZL1 with 4,000 miles on it. Let that sink in. I drove 6 times more. Every single day I drove it to work. Went on trips, car shows, and a few trips down the drag strip. I went through 3 sets of tires. All it cost me 1,000 in trade. People mod and do crazy upgrades and never drive. Each to their own but the best money I ever spent was the 1,000 to drive and enjoy my ZL1.

So my Z06 is almost a year old..... 9K miles of glorious fun.

If not driving your car more power to you. For me ENJOY the ride. All the numbers and bench racing means nothing if you don't use it.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #47
396ssrat

Quote:
Yeah, I did the whole nine yards with 60s junk for many years. unfortunately it was mostly Mustangs which were arguably the absolute worst cars ever made. Nightmare rust buckets that would rot and bend in half with 70,000 on them. 60s stuff is very cool to see at shows etc. but that is where it ends for me. No more laying underneath that garbage, no more weekly tune-ups, no more annual rust work, done, you can have that crap. I'll take a current ZL1, GT500, Z06, etc. and enjoy life. No comparison in my book and I have been around the block more time than I can remember with those old jack ass carts.
I suppose if I were to have had the misfortune of owning a Mustang I'd likely feel the same way as you. The paint on my old relic is 14 or so years old and still in pretty good condition. No rust though, not to say there wasn't any in the past 51 years but although minimal it was handled along with the paint. I keep the car locked up inside so the car stays fairly decent. To suggest someone may not enjoy life because they have an old car is a little disingenuous. The beauty of it is that I can work on it myself. I'd suggest you stay away from a dragstrip with your new car because it's likely some old wreck will embarrass you. I wouldn't go to a road course with mine either. Not dissing the ZL1 at all as it has it's place, it's a damn nice car and handles very very well. At $62k ish it's a hell of a deal.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #48
RedCamaroZL1

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
Not for at least 30 years and that is not guaranteed a classic.

True story. I tried to save my 2010 (bought in 2009) SS2 Camaro. The car had crazy low miles when I traded it in for my 2013 ZL1. Sure a got a few dollars more but the car still sold for 2/3 what I paid.

So I vowed to drive my ZL1 a ton. 3 years and 31K miles later I traded it in. At the time many gen 5 ZL1 owners were selling. My car had 6 times the miles of many of the ones traded in. My trade value was 1,000 lower than a ZL1 with 4,000 miles on it. Let that sink in. I drove 6 times more. Every single day I drove it to work. Went on trips, car shows, and a few trips down the drag strip. I went through 3 sets of tires. All it cost me 1,000 in trade. People mod and do crazy upgrades and never drive. Each to their own but the best money I ever spent was the 1,000 to drive and enjoy my ZL1.

So my Z06 is almost a year old..... 9K miles of glorious fun.

If not driving your car more power to you. For me ENJOY the ride. All the numbers and bench racing means nothing if you don't use it.
You nailed it! I didn't get as much fun out of my 2013 low miles ZL1 and basically sold a "new" car to get the 2017. Wish I had driven 20k miles on the one I sold because I'd have gotten about the same money selling it and way more fun out of it!
Planning to drive this new one a lot more! I don't think the value will increase for at least 30 years. 4th gens still aren't worth what they were new... not even close.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:30 AM   #49
speedyman
Account Suspended

Quote:
I suppose if I were to have had the misfortune of owning a Mustang I'd likely feel the same way as you. The paint on my old relic is 14 or so years old and still in pretty good condition. No rust though, not to say there wasn't any in the past 51 years but although minimal it was handled along with the paint. I keep the car locked up inside so the car stays fairly decent. To suggest someone may not enjoy life because they have an old car is a little disingenuous. The beauty of it is that I can work on it myself. I'd suggest you stay away from a dragstrip with your new car because it's likely some old wreck will embarrass you. I wouldn't go to a road course with mine either. Not dissing the ZL1 at all as it has it's place, it's a damn nice car and handles very very well. At $62k ish it's a hell of a deal.
You suggest that I stay away from the drag strip for fear of 60s muscle cars. Get serious. Those cars are a ROFL joke compared to current muscle and everyone knows this. Factory config. vs factory config. and my ATS4 takes a major dump on just about everything considered muscle in the 60s. My Z06 or a '17 ZL1 would run through the traps 30-40 car lengths ahead of those 60s turds. Forget about it.

Here is a little peek at one of the hot pieces from the 60s. This is a laugher for sure.

Another drag strip monster from the day, 14.1 out of the almighty 426 HEMI. There are SUVs today that will smoke this jack ass cart.

I know you can make anything faster. People modify lawn tractors and race them.

Last edited by speedyman; 04-07-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:00 PM   #50
396ssrat

Quote:
You suggest that I stay away from the drag strip for fear of 60s muscle cars. Get serious. Those cars are a ROFL joke compared to current muscle and everyone knows this. Factory config. vs factory config. and my ATS4 takes a major dump on just about everything considered muscle in the 60s. My Z06 or a '17 ZL1 would run through the traps 30-40 car lengths ahead of those 60s turds. Forget about it.

Here is a little peek at one of the hot pieces from the 60s. This is a laugher for sure.

Another drag strip monster from the day, 14.1 out of the almighty 426 HEMI. There are SUVs today that will smoke this jack ass cart.

I know you can make anything faster. People modify lawn tractors and race them.
Yes, Muscle cars of the 60's were reasonably slow by comparison however, they weren't as slow as you might think. 14's was commom and some were quicker. One example would be an old friends 66 small block Nova. 12.26 with tires only. The car was very impressive. There were only a couple L-88 Corvettes built but although advertised at 430 hp they were in reality a out 560hp.
Suspension has improved vastly over the past 50 years hence better handling. The supercharger and the computer are why cars can make power today.
The vast majority of today's cars aren't exactly rocket ships and on a drag strip are still all that quick UNLESS they are supercharged or turbo'd. It is what it is.
On occasion, we will see a new Vette, CTS-V or Challenger run a number but they are also modified just like our old "Lawnmower" dinosaurs. You have to keep in mind that our older designed junk does quite well on a track. One guy I know just did the Texas mile in his '67 Corvette and made the 200mph club. His old junk is an 8 second driver on the drag strip but that said it's an old big block Chevy with modern twin turbo's. You might consider reeling in your imagination a little bit. Some of our old junk will still bring in the money when it comes to resale value. It is so for a reason. Like I said, I still like my old junk enough to stay with it but if I were to desire something new, knowing what I know today it might be a ZL1 or maybe even the biggest baddest, most powerful car ever produced, the upcoming Dodge Demon. That car is a purpose built, without competition, monster. A shame Chevy always has to play catch up.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #51
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
Hell ya! Hagarty says so. It's a FIFTY!!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  168.7 KB

Last edited by NB2017ZL1; 04-07-2017 at 12:34 PM.
NB2017ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:58 PM   #52
speedyman
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yes, Muscle cars of the 60's were reasonably slow by comparison however, they weren't as slow as you might think. 14's was commom and some were quicker. One example would be an old friends 66 small block Nova. 12.26 with tires only. The car was very impressive. There were only a couple L-88 Corvettes built but although advertised at 430 hp they were in reality a out 560hp.
Suspension has improved vastly over the past 50 years hence better handling. The supercharger and the computer are why cars can make power today.
The vast majority of today's cars aren't exactly rocket ships and on a drag strip are still all that quick UNLESS they are supercharged or turbo'd. It is what it is.
On occasion, we will see a new Vette, CTS-V or Challenger run a number but they are also modified just like our old "Lawnmower" dinosaurs. You have to keep in mind that our older designed junk does quite well on a track. One guy I know just did the Texas mile in his '67 Corvette and made the 200mph club. His old junk is an 8 second driver on the drag strip but that said it's an old big block Chevy with modern twin turbo's. You might consider reeling in your imagination a little bit. Some of our old junk will still bring in the money when it comes to resale value. It is so for a reason. Like I said, I still like my old junk enough to stay with it but if I were to desire something new, knowing what I know today it might be a ZL1 or maybe even the biggest baddest, most powerful car ever produced, the upcoming Dodge Demon. That car is a purpose built, without competition, monster. A shame Chevy always has to play catch up.
We all know that just about anything can be made to accelerate faster. We also know that this applies to 60s Muscle Cars. I would wager that the majority of us here know that the 60s stuff as it left Detroit was crap and sucks massively when compared with todays performance offerings. I spent over 20 years repairing, modifying and restoring these old heaps. There came a day when I just saw the light as Ford and GM began performance era II in the 90s and some would say possibly back into the late 80s. I know the score when dealing with those old jack ass wagons. You spend a fortune, bust your knuckles, waist ridiculous amounts of time and end up with a PIA that isn't worth half of what you have in it. Anyone who has done the drill and paid their dues in that arena as I have knows that this is 100% fact. Sorry, that is reality my friend.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #53
396ssrat

Quote:
We all know that just about anything can be made to accelerate faster. We also know that this applies to 60s Muscle Cars. I would wager that the majority of us here know that the 60s stuff as it left Detroit was crap and sucks massively when compared with todays performance offerings. I spent over 20 years repairing, modifying and restoring these old heaps. There came a day when I just saw the light as Ford and GM began performance era II in the 90s and some would say possibly back into the late 80s. I know the score when dealing with those old jack ass wagons. You spend a fortune, bust your knuckles, waist ridiculous amounts of time and end up with a PIA that isn't worth half of what you have in it. Anyone who has done the drill and paid their dues in that arena as I have knows that this is 100% fact. Sorry, that is reality my friend.
Must have been a very challenging life or you. Building and restoring cars and losing money on every one. Fwiw, hobbies cost money and not all are up to the task. That's is why new cars sell. I love my old junker. BTW, I spent 19 years building Chevy's for a living. I liked that job very well. If those old cars hadn't done well you wouldn't be driving a Chevy. Btw, my old car is not an investment, it's a labor of love. I built it myself the way I wanted it and it's faster than your new Blown Camaro.
My old Chevy will still bring a pretty penny, 51 years later.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #54
speedyman
Account Suspended

Quote:
Must have been a very challenging life or you. Building and restoring cars and losing money on every one. Fwiw, hobbies cost money and not all are up to the task. That's is why new cars sell. I love my old junker. BTW, I spent 19 years building Chevy's for a living. I liked that job very well. If those old cars hadn't done well you wouldn't be driving a Chevy. Btw, my old car is not an investment, it's a labor of love. I built it myself the way I wanted it and it's faster than your new Blown Camaro.
My old Chevy will still bring a pretty penny, 51 years later.
Quite cocky there aren't we. You enjoy yourself my friend, you are welcome to all the bloody knuckles, bent wrenches and piles of rust on the floor. Sounds like that is what you really enjoy.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #55
396ssrat

Quote:
Quite cocky there aren't we. You enjoy yourself my friend, you are welcome to all the bloody knuckles, bent wrenches and piles of rust on the floor. Sounds like that is what you really enjoy.
I live in California, we don't worry about rust. We don't salt the roads or highways. I'm not a flat rater so busted knuckles are rare but still part of the game. Yes, I'm a little cocky because I frequent the track and see what does what on a weekly basis. We're only down a couple weeks a year over here.
We'll see where the 2017's are in 51 years. Well OK, I won't. Lol
Old 04-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #56
speedyman
Account Suspended

Quote:
I live in California, we don't worry about rust. We don't salt the roads or highways. I'm not a flat rater so busted knuckles are rare but still part of the game. Yes, I'm a little cocky because I frequent the track and see what does what on a weekly basis. We're only down a couple weeks a year over here.
We'll see where the 2017's are in 51 years. Well OK, I won't. Lol
I'll be lucky if I know where they are in 25 years. It is absolutely pointless to prognosticate what these cars will be worth in 50 years. Technology will have long erased the mystique that there is around this. Todays performance cars will be as useless as typewriters.