Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Should the police have a Camaro
No 48 33.80%
Yes 97 68.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2008, 11:45 PM   #43
camaro_burns_all

Drives: 04 Pathfinder
I said no, waste of tax money. they already got the charger.
camaro_burns_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:38 AM   #44
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
I think it is a great advertisement for the car. "HOLY CRAP! Did you see that cop car? I've gotta get one of those!"
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 12:56 AM   #45
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude26 View Post
the majority of those who wear the uniform are a class act...and i'm sure hawaii is a fantastic nice place to live ...but here in corrupt mob infested,drug trafficking, heavy tax state of nj...its a far different experience...perhaps many officers become desensitized to what they see on a daily basis and assume everybody is on drugs or a criminal but what i experienced was not pleasant and surely wasn't up to the standard of the boys in blue and an insult to every outstanding officer in the country ...thank you for doing your job efficiently and being a class act...

and yes captain awesome...the system is set up to bring in as much revenue as possible...as soon as you get a ticket you get all sorts of advertisements from lawyers many of whom are friends with the judges and proscecutors...and then the insurance companies are in on it as well...just a big nanny state and way to suck more cash from the citizens...there are plenty of horrible speed traps out there
Maybe after I'm a CHP for a while I'll T-fer to NJ, just so I can ticket you for having the wrong car air freshener...since that apparently meets the criteria of what you're referring to.

I'm kidding btw...
hell - my brother thinks all the cops in my city are corrupt so I somewhat understand where you're coming from...

but then again, my brothers not exactly right in the head...
(Not a biological brother!)

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:11 AM   #46
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head
Quote:
the majority of those who wear the uniform are a class act...and i'm sure hawaii is a fantastic nice place to live ...but here in corrupt mob infested,drug trafficking, heavy tax state of nj...its a far different experience...perhaps many officers become desensitized to what they see on a daily basis and assume everybody is on drugs or a criminal but what i experienced was not pleasant and surely wasn't up to the standard of the boys in blue and an insult to every outstanding officer in the country ...thank you for doing your job efficiently and being a class act...
My bad bro...didn't see where you lived. I would like to think, without sounding naive, that majority of police officers in the nation are doing the right thing. As far as tickets goes, our department does not get any of that monies generated. 100% of it goes into state general fund, which the politicians get to decide what is best for it.

Thanks for the kind words also.

Take care
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:58 AM   #47
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
a lot of police members are corrupt members of society who don't have anybody to watch over them because of a complete lack of balance of power...

they are inept high school dropouts and the standards are so low its sad...

don't give them camaros

the way the ticket system is setup it is used as a cashcow for the liberal government and as a tax and for police to harass law abiding citizens for citations and they treat everybody as if they are a criminal...

a point system instead of cash penalties will take out the incentive for the state to constantly harass over small things which aren't criminal and ensure that the police are doing their job of protecting and serving law abiding citizens
First, why do I always feel the need to explain??? .....well, here goes...

Ok....I'm not a high school dropout. Actually, high school drop outs aren't even eligible for applying to our dept (and probably ALL other depts as well for that matter). Not only did I finish HS, but moved on and graduated w/ my degree in Criminal Justice. I've also completed and obtained my Intermediate PO license. I can't move on yet in the licensing dept since I don't have the proper time accrued on the job. That won't be too much longer, though.

Moving on...If we can't have Camaros, can we have Mustangs? Because they're out there w/ red and blues on....and I don't see anyone complaining about that. Kind of makes the point moot, no? Really, what's the difference? They (for this situation) are both cars.

Next point. Law abiding citizens don't get harassed. It's that easy. Drive lawfully, wear your seat belt, don't speed, use your turn signals, and all around be safe.....you'd be surprised that you just might not get stopped.

I don't know how your state works, but aren't tickets part of the point system?? Don't you get a ticket and get a point added to your license? You see....if you break the law, you might get stopped. If you get stopped, you might get a ticket. Some officers want you to know what you did wrong and understand that correcting the problem is all that it takes. Those types of stops could be corrected w/ a warning. But, "there was no way in heck I was speeding!!!! RANT, RANT, RANT!!!" won't get you that warning. I'm not going to stop you for speeding unless I'm 100% sure you were speeding. If I did, I'd be going against everything I know and stand for.

As far as cash, incentives, and penalties.... Cash goes to the city for improvements, etc....called a city budget. You don't want to help with the city budget, don't break the law. I had my fair share of speeding tickets when I was younger, so don't even start w/ me on money penalties not being a deterrent. Yes, it is....and yes, it will continue to be. I know...I paid A LOT to the city... so much that I finally knocked it off.

Next. I don't get incentives for stopping you other than maybe saving your life by making you put on your seatbelt or making you slow down. We don't have quotas, or any other nonsense you might hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanewittman View Post
Dude, have you had issues with law enforcement??? I don't personally know about New Jersey, but in almost every other location I have worked in, a high school dropout wouldn't qualify. A lot of departments require college educations. Most cities have oversight boards that watch out for corruption and injust police practices. Finally, the ticket system may be a little biased towards rewarding the city/police dept for issuing tickets, as they get some of the revenue from those tickets. However, they are not going to be able to cite someone if they are LAW ABIDING.

Now, back to the thread at hand. Cars like Camaros, Mustangs, Chargers, etc are a great incentive for police departments. Those cars help recruit and retain great officers. Cars like a Camaro do not cost police departments much more than the standard Crown Vic, so why not have a few in the motor pool? They are also a great attention getter. People such as those in these forum would appreciate seeing one of these great cars in person, (hopefully not behind you with the lights on...)!

Sorry to be long winded... this is something that gets under my skin when people do not respect law enforcement for the great work they do. If their respective cities, states, etc want to put a Camaro into the work force, I say go for it.
Welcome to the site! Excellent first post!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
I wish there was a cop around when my Trans Am was broken into and stolen.
I wish I would been there too! Heck, I wish I would have been there when my old C1500 pickup was broken into and stolen....ugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
How many of you guys have a town nearby with a highway department that picks a nifty spot on a 55 or 60MPH highway, like that the base of a steep hill out in the middle of nowhere and erect 40-45MPH signs for a 1/2 mile stretch near a convenient place for police to park their cruisers so they can catch all the criminals who are not reacting to the signs before the radar beam hits them?

By the way, do we have any lawyers out there who can explain to my how come when you get a speeding ticket that the very basis of our legal system is thrown out? You're GUILTY unbless you can prove your innocence and you CANNOT get a trial by a jury of your peers. Tell me the system isn't rigged. I dare you!
Yes, some traffic guys pick some really nifty spots to run traffic. If you see a sudden drop in the speed limit, ...slow down. Again, first hand experience being stopped by Helotes police dept as I was speeding up to get into the 60mph area while it was still 45mph. I got up to 64 or so...just before the sign....and you can guess the rest. What a .....but, my fault. I should have waited.

Now, your second part of your post surprised me. Why? Because you say you can't get a trial by your peers in traffic court. I don't know how the system works by you. But, we have trials by our peers going on everyday at our municipal court. And, by signing the ticket, you are not admitting guilt, you are only making a promise to appear in court for the class c traffic offense. The burden of proof, in this instance, rests on the prosecution to prove the defendant was speeding. If the officer doesn't show up for court, do they automatically say you are guilty and fine you??? NO. They dismiss your ticket or reset your court date. You don't have to prove A THING. Therefore, you are not automatically considered GUILTY as you say. Dare taken.... and "dare" I say...proven

Chevydude...one last final note if I may. I apologize for any corrupt officer you might have come across. We all know it exists. We all hope what was, isn't today, nor ever will be. But, we must keep on trying to do our best to keep the people in our cities, states, and country safe.

I'll leave it with my sig..The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:20 AM   #48
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
The "interceptor" version of an SS Camaro, should it be made (it will) -- would be a GREAT addition to any highway patrol/state trooper, etc. --where an interceptor is warranted, and needed.

It's already been done with the 4th gen. Why would the 5th gen be any different?

Of course, its up to "them" to decide if the car is justifiable for "their" force. But, as has been said -- more Camaro sales = good for ALL of us!!!

I'm not really sorry if some have had a "bad" experience with LEO's -- I will still have the utmost respect for those that place their lives on the line, every day, for the well-being of those that they serve. Be they LEO's, military, firefighters, whatever.

The world is a better place to live in, in the long run, if some decide that their time is worth protecting our sorry azzes in some capacity, in lieu of their own well-being, IF NEED BE.

The cases where the NEED BE isnt needed, are better for all of us, as well.

<fragmented, biased rant over>
Old 07-30-2008, 06:34 AM   #49
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
If the officer doesn't show up for court, do they automatically say you are guilty and fine you??? NO. They dismiss your ticket or reset your court date. You don't have to prove A THING. Therefore, you are not automatically considered GUILTY as you say. Dare taken.... and "dare" I say...proven
Guilty? No, not if the cop doesn't show. But what if the cop does show up to court, the burden of proving you're innocent belongs to "you" the defendant. In other words you're already guilty before you get to court and open up your mouth; you have to prove you didn't commit the violation which consequently most people can not. What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"? Guilty until proven innocent is more like it, seems to be a mockery of the justice system.

oh and... I think cops should not get a Camaro. You ever look in your rear view and notice a crown vic approaching, only to later find out it's some old guy and his wife? I don't want to feel like I'm driving a cop car.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #50
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Well, if GM needs to make more money from selling Camaro's as fleet vehicles in order to keep costs down, either they will offer a badass Police Interceptor Camaro that will make itself a good reputation as a high-speed pursuit vehicle......or you'll see a huge influx of bare bones white rental Camaro's that don't do justice to the name.

I say let the police have 'em. Besides, every time I see the Interceptor Camaro's and Mustangs on those World's Craziest Police Video shows, I get a huge smile on my face, because I know things are about to get a lot more interesting.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #51
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
new york police officer knocks bicyclist for no reason....and then arrests him with a bunch of false charges...well there you go...another incident just like i described...

http://hotair.com/archives/2008/07/2...parent-reason/
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:29 AM   #52
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Now, your second part of your post surprised me. Why? Because you say you can't get a trial by your peers in traffic court. I don't know how the system works by you. But, we have trials by our peers going on everyday at our municipal court. And, by signing the ticket, you are not admitting guilt, you are only making a promise to appear in court for the class c traffic offense. The burden of proof, in this instance, rests on the prosecution to prove the defendant was speeding. If the officer doesn't show up for court, do they automatically say you are guilty and fine you??? NO. They dismiss your ticket or reset your court date. You don't have to prove A THING. Therefore, you are not automatically considered GUILTY as you say. Dare taken.... and "dare" I say...proven
I don't know how it works where you live but in NY you cannot get a trial by jury for a speeding violation. A single Judge decides your fate. This is NOT a jury of peers. They quickly learned YEARS ago that peers sympathize with the driver and so they changed the laws so you couldn't demand a jury trial.

As far as being assumed guilty, technically you are correct but that's not how it works in real life. Without a jury of peers it's up to the judge to decide and you can have 1000 witnesses and GPS tracking to back your case and you can still get a guilty verdict. I've seen people with solid proof get ruled against and have extra penalties added (sent to "Safe Driving" school) because they "Wasted the court's valuable time." It happened to my buddy for going 60 in a 45 zone (farmland with hardly any houses). He got lectured in court for being a danger to everyone on the road, blah blah blah.

For the next week my buddy followed the judge around with a video camera and caught him on tape regularly going 20+MPH over the posted speed limits, running red-lights, rolling through stopsigns and doing 60 in a 25MPH school zone. The tape was submitted to the police and nothing ever happened.

It's probably not like this everywhwere, but corrupt people exist.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:34 AM   #53
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Chevydude, I think you should move. Seriously, if it's as corupt as you say come down here to Texas. It's a little warm but this place is great! And the great thing is if you move here you become a Texan.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #54
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Chevydude, I think you should move. Seriously, if it's as corupt as you say come down here to Texas. It's a little warm but this place is great! And the great thing is if you move here you become a Texan.
not a bad idea...my family was going to move a few years back when i was in high school...in the fort worth dallas area...i really liked it too...it was just super hot ....but yeah texas is probably fantastic...probably a lot of hot girls down there too...but yeh i'm getting out of jersey as soon as i decide where to open up my future business
chevydude26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:26 AM   #55
rgrizzard

Drives: Wanting New Camaro
Let them drive rustangs...
rgrizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:06 AM   #56
Beelzebubba
cheap plastic member

Drives: Mazda6s
They don't need a Camaro.

Nothing outruns Motorola. Nothing.

Let them drive 2.4 ecotec 4 cylinder Malibus with the 6T40E transmission and have specially prepped Tahoes for PIT manuevers.

The 4 cylinder Malibus accelerate almost as well as a Crown Vic, handle better, they aren't prone to exploding on impact like Crown Vics, they have nearly as much interior volume if not more for transporting prisoners, and think of all the money departments will save in gas with a car that averages 25 mpg instead of 12.

Definitely keep Tahoes to keep my hometown's GM plant running
Beelzebubba is offline   Reply With Quote