Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-17-2008, 02:52 AM   #43
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I am an electronic technician and worked for Best Buy for 13 years (not in Geek Squad - I have an associates degree in electronics, and I worked in a regional service center, not a store - I am factory authorized and trained to repair to component level, read and understand schematics, use oscilloscopes and volt meters, and replace 500 pin surface mount microprocessors as well as any other electronic component on a circuit board).

Bose was one of the manufacturers we laughed at, because their marketing is about the best in the world. There is no doubt they do an excellent job in making people believe they engineer high end, high quality stuff. But when you actually take their stuff appart, and see how it's made, it will make you laugh.

Their systems are waaaaaay overpriced - the 3-2-1 system is over 1500 bucks and a Yamaha theater system is twice as nice for half the price. But the kicker is Bose doesn't even use discrete outputs - they use the PAL7001 amplifier IC you will find in a 150.00 Pioneer car CD head unit!!!! Their circuit boards are cheap, thin, and flimsy, they don't use any high current B+ rails (just the thin circuit board traces - real amps use solid copper or even gold bars soldered in to the circuit board for high current and low signal loss).

Bose does a great job with their marketing, and telling people how the "wave radio" and "virtual surround" works with only two little speakers and a sub.

But true high end home theater really starts with McIntosh like Tag said. I saw a demo from one of their factory engineers where he ran a 60 Hz sine wave into the amp, hooked a regular home vaccum cleaner into the outputs of the amp, and turned up the amp and ran the 6 amp vaccum off the outputs! Try that with a Bose

As for my home theater, I use an Adcom GTP-830 pre-amp, 4 AudioSource power amps (the two fronts and center are each briged mono at 50 watts rms, 200 pk per channel and the rears are run with a larger 400 watt amp, 200/channel stereo), Pinnacle speakers and a BCI 10" 200 watt sub.

All in all its about 1200 watts pk, 300 rms.

Yeah, it gets the job done

Yamaha's "Natural Sound" line of consumer home receivers/amps REALLY do "kick!"

But, if you want to go really high end, you do have to start with such names as McIntosh.

Be prepared to spend 15K+ JUST for an amplifier. Speaker-sets can start as high as 5K-8K PER PAIR, or more, and so on......

Megabucks.

We should be happy BA produces our drivers. I hope the DSP/amp vendor produces a quality product, with superior inter-connects, shielding, and engineering.

I think they will. The Camaro breaks "quality vs. price" barriers all across the board. Why should the premium audio system stray from this dictum?
Old 08-17-2008, 09:54 AM   #44
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Yamaha are AWESOME for not being separates.

I have an older Yamaha RX-V1 6 channel reciever and it KICKS.

It sounds better then my new Pioneer Elite THX 7 channel HDMI reciever in my theater. 118" Carada Fixed screen.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:04 AM   #45
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
For the Average home theater, I love Yamaha and Boston Acoustics.

Good stuff!

The problem with Yamaha is the customer service. They have a reputation for being awful. Hopefully they are changing that.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:20 AM   #46
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Yes, but my Yamaha RX-V1 isn't average. 63# and retail $3400.

I have had 6 Yamaha recievers and never had a problem.
JEFF2010SSMANUAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #47
boswepw

Drives: 2010 IBM 2LT RS
I've had a couple of cars with Bose systems - not impressed. The BA system in my Camaro seems OK (still need to get the EQ settings worked out) but by far the best factory stereo I've experienced to date was the Harmon Kardon system in my MINI Cooper - great sound/volume. The DVD audio system in my wife's Acura TL was very impressive also when playing those rare audio DVD's (Metallica Black album for example).
boswepw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #48
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
HOLY NECRO THREAD BATMAN!
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #49
badkarma

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
HOLY NECRO THREAD BATMAN!
Some people do
badkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #50
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
No highs, no lows, must be bose. Bose is one of the worst audio companies out there.

At home i run a Denon 3808CI powering Axiom audio all around. M60s for fronts VP150 for center and then QS4's for the surrounds. As for the sub im running a custom enclosure (built myself) TC sounds TC-3000 15" powered off an EP2500. I am a huge audiophile. That is my main setup.

In the basement im running Pioneer Elite and Paradigm speakers. Again custom sub for down there too.

Yamaha does make pretty good receivers for the money. I had a yamaha before this denon. I would love to go seperates but i just cant get myself to spend that kind of money. Plus the room is not real big so my denon gives plenty of headroom.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote