Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #43
bluman

Drives: '10 Corvette GS/'13 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post

Now you need some of Adam's polishing pads! I have used other polishing pads in my day. I have found adam's to be the best bang for your buck.

+1
2010 Camaro SIM/CGM RS/2LT VIN #310 SOLD

2010 Corvette Grand Sport
bluman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:55 AM   #44
buddylok

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Hey BuddyLoc, have you put that polisher to use yet?
Been working on my camaro in the past few days with the PC, 2 stage polish, sealant plus a coat of wax.

I love my polisher
buddylok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #45
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddylok View Post
Been working on my camaro in the past few days with the PC, 2 stage polish, sealant plus a coat of wax.

I love my polisher
Post some pics when you're done!

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 02:08 AM   #46
buddylok

Drives: -
AJ, pls check out my new thread: (Lots of pics)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77933
buddylok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:46 AM   #47
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Just unboxed my Porter Cable polisher.

Questions: Is the spacer necessary for the polisher pad?

Rotating the polisher head by hand I noticed it rotates in an elipse and not a circle. I'm assuming this is designed this way and it is not a defect?
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:01 AM   #48
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post

Rotating the polisher head by hand I noticed it rotates in an elipse and not a circle. I'm assuming this is designed this way and it is not a defect?
Yes you need that washer/spacer. If you don't put it on you'll never get your backing plate off.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #49
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Evidently I didn't get a backing plate with my pc. The box indicates it doesn't come with one. What size do I need?
Old 04-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #50
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Depends entirely on what pads you're running... sizes of pads and style of pads very from company to company. Our backing plate is a 5.875" I believe and works with our pads which are 7.5" of pad face, but the guide/snap ring is the size of the BP.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #51
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post

Yes, the PC is an elliptical (orbital - doesn't mean circular) buffer it's not broke

Quote: Dual action polishers are excellent for enthusiasts of all skill levels. Dual action polishers are characterized by the motion of the head. It spins on a central spindle, and this spindle rotates around an eccentric offset. A good metaphor for a dual action polisher is the earth’s orbit. The earth itself spins and it also orbits around the sun. Dual action polishers are also called random orbital polishers for this reason.

A dual-action polisher like the Porter Cable 7424 XP enhances the performance of many rubbing compounds and swirl removers by providing at least twice the rubbing action than you can by hand. These polishers attack scratches from all sides without the user doing extra work. This multidirectional motion also enhances the results of buffing bonnets by moving in a faster and more consistent motion than you could by hand. You get results faster with the Porter Cable 7424 XP.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #52
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Yes, the PC is an elliptical (orbital - doesn't mean circular) buffer it's not broke

Quote: Dual action polishers are excellent for enthusiasts of all skill levels. Dual action polishers are characterized by the motion of the head. It spins on a central spindle, and this spindle rotates around an eccentric offset. A good metaphor for a dual action polisher is the earth’s orbit. The earth itself spins and it also orbits around the sun. Dual action polishers are also called random orbital polishers for this reason.

A dual-action polisher like the Porter Cable 7424 XP enhances the performance of many rubbing compounds and swirl removers by providing at least twice the rubbing action than you can by hand. These polishers attack scratches from all sides without the user doing extra work. This multidirectional motion also enhances the results of buffing bonnets by moving in a faster and more consistent motion than you could by hand. You get results faster with the Porter Cable 7424 XP.
That metaphor doesn't work for me since I believe in the geocentric universe.