Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #43
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
its perfectly BORING around town. id rather buy a C63 AMG for the money.

OK...this tells me enough to qualify your opinion.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:13 AM   #44
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
I currently own the 135i .. I think stock for stock in the twistys it would win .. straights, the SS would win. I think you should go w/ the camaro SS because I believe that for the cost, you can get more power and excitement out of it ... if you have lots of money to burn .. you could get some good power out of the 135i, but currently the fuel system and small turbos are the limiting factors ..

Crowley
I am a member on 1Addicts with well over 2,000 posts. I know all about the 135i. And agree with what you say. The fuel pump problem along with the 29.2 program lag makes me wonder. I think the Camaro SS/RS manual would be a blast with the V8 roar and the sheer power not relying on the turbo's. I wish I could afford both. But my max is about $40k. If I got the 135i I would spend about $42k max.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:17 AM   #45
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
Thanks for supporting American automakers with both your current 2007 Civic and your possible future choice of an overrrated BMW. Way to help out!
Excuse me. I have owned MANY GM ONLY cars. Chevelle, Impala, Riviera, 2 Saturns, Firebird WS6. I am now waiting to drive the Pontiac G8 GXP. I think the choice would be between the GXP and the Camaro SS. I also drove the new CTS and loved it, but the power is a little low. I want a car that can do 0-60 in under 6.0 seconds and is rear wheel drive with a manual.

OK.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:22 AM   #46
JEFF2010SSMANUAL
JEFF2010SSMANUAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
both cars i've bought were german sorry if you don't think i'm helping out the country enough

overall - this is an odd comparison of german vs american and double the price in difference.

i agree the CTS-V is better for this comparison.
HECK YAH! I wish I could afford a new black manual CTS-V. It would be in my driveway NOW. I would take that car over almost anything. I can only wish! CRAP.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:38 AM   #47
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecammi View Post
Thanks for supporting American automakers with both your current 2007 Civic and your possible future choice of an overrrated BMW. Way to help out!
Talk about wearing blinders. So if I’m looking at 4 different cars, 1 German, 1 American, 1 Japanese and 1 Korean and after all is said and done decide that one of the non-American ones is the best choice for me and my family I would be unpatriotic? If we all kept buying GM, Ford and Chrysler cars like we did in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s where would be the incentive for them to change and make better cars?

The entire reason GM and others are making quality cars now is because of Japanese, Korean and German competition. It was because they were/are getting their ass handed to them that they finally figured out “Hey we need to make more reliable cars with better interiors”.

So you should be thanking Jeff2010 not condemning him. I’m pretty sure he’s paying taxes, shopping at his local grocery store and Wal-Mart just like the rest of us.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:08 AM   #48
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Next time we make comparisons, let's compare cars that are similarly priced and competitive in their respective segments because honestly when you compare a E92 M3 to a Camaro SS, I think the large majority of us who had both sitting right in front of us (I'm talking in a dream world... ) and we could just pick which car we wanted would take the M3. But for most of us that would have to pay for it, for the sake of what a new M3 costs would probably take the Camaro SS.

Now the 2010 Mustang GT VS Nissan 370Z thread? Good comparison.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:23 AM   #49
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
Talk about wearing blinders. So if I’m looking at 4 different cars, 1 German, 1 American, 1 Japanese and 1 Korean and after all is said and done decide that one of the non-American ones is the best choice for me and my family I would be unpatriotic? If we all kept buying GM, Ford and Chrysler cars like we did in the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s where would be the incentive for them to change and make better cars?

The entire reason GM and others are making quality cars now is because of Japanese, Korean and German competition. It was because they were/are getting their ass handed to them that they finally figured out “Hey we need to make more reliable cars with better interiors”.

So you should be thanking Jeff2010 not condemning him. I’m pretty sure he’s paying taxes, shopping at his local grocery store and Wal-Mart just like the rest of us.

You have a good point, but I think the reference is based on the current economic climate. The fact is that if people don't give the American companies a chance, you may not have a choice at all in the future of any American cars. I don't think the country will be better off if that happens (although I am sure Germany and Japan's economies would pick up).
Old 11-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #50
ponycrusher21
Christopher Fernandez

Drives: Toyota Prius
word^
Old 11-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #51
stratman
Goldmember

Drives: 06 CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
OK...this tells me enough to qualify your opinion.
I have also driven a lot of Benzs and they were mostly not fun or exciting. Their general equation is to take a car that wasn't very sporty to begin with and dump another 150hp into it. You don't get a sporty car until you fork over big bucks on a Komp or AMG and the base models feel like they have a time delay on the accelerator. But as far as luxury they have that down. That’s at least me opinion as of a few years ago.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:23 PM   #52
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
I have also driven a lot of Benzs and they were mostly not fun or exciting. Their general equation is to take a car that wasn't very sporty to begin with and dump another 150hp into it. You don't get a sporty car until you fork over big bucks on a Komp or AMG and the base models feel like they have a time delay on the accelerator. But as far as luxury they have that down. That’s at least me opinion as of a few years ago.
Isnt that what muscle cars were in the 60's and early 70's?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #53
SdustinK

Drives: 2009 335i Coupe
I hope the camaro's sterring is not as tight as BMW but a tighter then a Benz
Old 11-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #54
stratman
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Isnt that what muscle cars were in the 60's and early 70's?
Not entirely in my opinion. Muscle cars were sports coupes for the most part even before they got the big cube treatment. A base Camaro is more of a sports car than a base C class to me. Mercedes with one or two exceptions makes luxury and sport sedans. Coupes are another ball game. Notice no one has been bringing up the M5 in comparisons (what did that just start). 60s and 70s muscle cars were also not rich folks expensive even for their day. Plus the fact that it's 2008 not 1968 and I want a car that is nimble not just straight line raw.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 PM   #55
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman View Post
Not entirely in my opinion. Muscle cars were sports coupes for the most part even before they got the big cube treatment. A base Camaro is more of a sports car than a base C class to me. Mercedes with one or two exceptions makes luxury and sport sedans. Coupes are another ball game. Notice no one has been bringing up the M5 in comparisons (what did that just start). 60s and 70s muscle cars were also not rich folks expensive even for their day. Plus the fact that it's 2008 not 1968 and I want a car that is nimble not just straight line raw.
you would have a hard time convincing anyone that there was anything sporty to cars like the Chevelle before they had a big engine.

Anyway, a really powerful engine in an otherwise ordinary car isn't a bad formula for a 25k car. But for something that starts a couple times that, yeah you'd better get something more than a strong engine. Especially in this day and age
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 11-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #56
stratman
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
you would have a hard time convincing anyone that there was anything sporty to cars like the Chevelle before they had a big engine.

Anyway, a really powerful engine in an otherwise ordinary car isn't a bad formula for a 25k car. But for something that starts a couple times that, yeah you'd better get something more than a strong engine. Especially in this day and age
What I was implying was that even though the Chevelle was not sporty by today's standards that was about as sporty as it got back then. At least in this country and for reasonable money. It's all relative. The price for performance of the C was what I was getting at. I think the C63 MSRP is like $63,000. You are paying a large majority of that for something other than performance of the vehicle. And I think most here would be in agreement what sports car/sedan we would be going after for that price.

Closed Thread