Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #547
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
On second thought, it could have an actual steering wheel from a Toyota Camry and I'd still want the car. It's god damn beautiful.

GM has put the "holy shit" back in the Camaro (not that either the SS or V6/RS cars were lame), but thinking back to the 4th gen, it was really slim vanilla pickins for quite a while. Magnetic ride in a Camaro? Alcantara suede? Supercharged o-m-g huge V8? This is a very serious performance car.

Naming conventions aside, 2012 is fast upon us and this is the ZL1 Camaro. It's not a lame retro throwback, it's a game changer that just happens to give a nod to its heritage while in the ring.

My only beef now will be the price tag, but only because I need to jump to about the next 2 levels in my career to be able to afford one. Looks like I've got some work to do
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:14 AM   #548
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viz View Post
They will actually state all day long that it does add to the performance. When the vacuum actuator opens the other pipe, it diverts exhaust flow through an unbaffled route in the muffler opening up flow when it is optimally needed.
I'll believe it when someone takes the car down the track "open" pipe and then closed and compares the results. Those with LS3 cars who have replaced their mufflers with straight pipe aren't seeing any difference performance wise so why should this?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #549
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viz View Post
They will actually state all day long that it does add to the performance. When the vacuum actuator opens the other pipe, it diverts exhaust flow through an unbaffled route in the muffler opening up flow when it is optimally needed.
I've read ZR1/Z06 guys remove the fuse to leave the valve open all the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaymoreZ28 View Post
I really like the tech specs and what they have done for performance and handling
- Will be great handling / great performing drivers car !

I really dont like how the car looks inside and out
- Too much black pastic on front - Front grille may look better with paint but not sure
- Hood is ok - but would prefer more of a forward facing intake - as opposed to the vents on top
- Dont like the suede inside or the flattened steering wheel
- Even my wife and kids took one look and said that it looked too plasticky and preferred the SS
I have to agree here. I'd like to see the black textured lower aero pieces painted body color. It looks like an afterthough left raw. If not - I'll do it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
On second thought, it could have an actual steering wheel from a Toyota Camry and I'd still want the car. It's god damn beautiful.

GM has put the "holy shit" back in the Camaro (not that either the SS or V6/RS cars were lame), but thinking back to the 4th gen, it was really slim vanilla pickins for quite a while. Magnetic ride in a Camaro? Alcantara suede? Supercharged o-m-g huge V8? This is a very serious performance car.
Naming conventions aside, 2012 is fast upon us and this is the ZL1 Camaro. It's not a lame retro throwback, it's a game changer that just happens to give a nod to its heritage while in the ring.

My only beef now will be the price tag, but only because I need to jump to about the next 2 levels in my career to be able to afford one. Looks like I've got some work to do
Umm... These comments are full of WIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
I'll believe it when someone takes the car down the track "open" pipe and then closed and compares the results. Those with LS3 cars who have replaced their mufflers with straight pipe aren't seeing any difference performance wise so why should this?
If ZL1 comes SAE certified, then that's enough for me

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #550
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
NO TO THE FOLLOWING.....IMHO

I don't think it should be a convertible.....defeats the purpose of it being made for the track (strip or road coarse), can't have it on either without adding roll cages/bars.

Since they stated it was a car that is track ready, it shouldn't be a automatic either, but I know the drag strip guys are going to disagree, but that is why I said "IMHO" in the title.

No, I don't really car for the rims...just something about them...just doesn't do it for me...I would prefer the SSX, CTS-V, or the ZR1 rims....

Having said that, I love the car, I hope the price is REAL competitive (read much cheaper, 2 to 3,000) then the GT500.

I like the hood a lot better than I thought I would. I never said anything bad about it, but was a little worried in my head...

I hope the side rockers (oem ground effects) can be added to the car. I love them on my 2ss, and I think they would look B.A. on the ZL1.

Hopefully they get a little more than the 550HP out of it, but if not, hopefully they have underpulleys and such things in the GMPP ready to mod, or possible get when you order the car......

GOOD JOB GM!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #551
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I have to agree here. I'd like to see the black textured lower aero pieces painted body color. It looks like an afterthough left raw. If not - I'll do it myself
do a photoshop of it. im willing to bet it wont look as good. like the gfx kit on the ss when painted it looks out of place, and makes the front chin appear way to big
Old 02-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #552
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ty8 ls1 View Post
when i was at the philly auto show, i talked with the slp rep for a little while. he said that the zl1 has a 7.0L block (ls7) with a tvs 2300 that made 750 hp at the flywheel. maybe that's the top of the line option? i hope the lsa brings that price down from the $115,000 price tag i was told...that's way to freakin expensive.
SLP has their own ZL cars. Expect it to be half as much as what SLP is asking for their creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
I heard MINIMUM 550 hp during the webchat. I did not hear that LS9 would not be an optional upgrade. HMMMMMMM ???? Now that would give the ZL1 a little higher tag close to $60 for those of you with bucks to spare..........
I did not hear that it won't have a rocket engine installed in the trunk ...

not hearing something won't happen, doesn't mean that it will happen
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltmark View Post
I'll put this is other words since my last post was deleted. I was told that this was the Z28 from the folks here on this website. When did it change?
Maybe never. Since this is the first time GM has said anything official, they likely haven't had a name until recently. The assumption for years was that the car in this particular configuration it would be called Z28, and that includes some people within GM not just enthusiasts on the outside. In retrospect, we should have kept up the nomenclature from before we heard about the SS. At the time, we called them the base V8 and the top dog (instead of SS and Z28), if I do recall correctly. But the overwhelming majority figured there were only 2 names GM could use on V8 Camaros, so I bet any efforts to keep it general were swamped by people just calling the supercharged model Z28.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #553
DarthNacho08
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 1999 camaro
Send a message via AIM to DarthNacho08
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
SLP has their own ZL cars. Expect it to be half as much as what SLP is asking for their creation

I did not hear that it won't have a rocket engine installed in the trunk ...

not hearing something won't happen, doesn't mean that it will happen

Maybe never. Since this is the first time GM has said anything official, they likely haven't had a name until recently. The assumption for years was that the car in this particular configuration it would be called Z28, and that includes some people within GM not just enthusiasts on the outside. In retrospect, we should have kept up the nomenclature from before we heard about the SS. At the time, we called them the base V8 and the top dog (instead of SS and Z28), if I do recall correctly. But the overwhelming majority figured there were only 2 names GM could use on V8 Camaros, so I bet any efforts to keep it general were swamped by people just calling the supercharged model Z28.
DarthNacho08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:03 PM   #554
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondain View Post
To each his own, but if you're liking 14 of the 15 new features but crying that GM 'missed the mark' because of a $200 steering wheel, please feel free to stand aside while I buy one at my dealer with cash in hand. You seriously won't be missed
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #555
chd1

Drives: 68rs/69z28/2010 2SSRS-callaway
nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #556
greg_74

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
I like everything except that there is too much suede. I like the inserts on seats, but the dash and steering wheel are too much. I think just gloss black (or color matched) plastic looks good on the dash and I like leather steering wheels. Now hopefully I'll like the price.

2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS #7590
345 HP Package, LPP Headers and ORY, GMMG, SLP CAI and Smooth Bellows, PHB, Chrome TTM's
greg_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #557
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I think that's an extreme prediction....but even if it's correct, this car is a TON more than a supercharger.

Price out how much it would be to modify an SS to all the specs of the ZL1, and I think you'll find the overall package to be quite the bargain!
Especially with the Magnetic Ride Suspension.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #558
Tysen

Drives: 2011 RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_74 View Post
I like everything except that there is too much suede. I like the inserts on seats, but the dash and steering wheel are too much. I think just gloss black (or color matched) plastic looks good on the dash and I like leather steering wheels. Now hopefully I'll like the price.
Suede is optional, leather is standard.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #559
9c1ny

Drives: C6 Zed-oh-six
The "bi-mode" exhaust in Vettes is known as "NPP" , I'm sure a mild to wild set up will come out for it-

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...tch-p-231.html

all you guys are bitching about this and that now but in the months to come I can see all the threads-

"Will a Z28 steering wheel fit on my SS?"

"Can I add the bi-mode exhaust to my car?"

ect ect ect ect
Old 02-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #560
KMK454

Drives: 91 B4C Camaro
Finally a 5th gen I'd consider... that being said, if it comes in at 50-55k, then it's a tough sell. There are just too many other awesome cars in that price range on the used market: CTS-V, C6 Z06, C6 Grand Sport, Viper SRT-10, etc.

I think the front end is a bit too aggressive/transformerish, but there's an easy fix: paint the upper portion of the lower front splitter to match the body color.
KMK454 is offline   Reply With Quote