Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-15-2014, 02:02 PM   #5881
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Well, I'm about to sound like a total noob...and well quite frankly I am when it comes to rifles. I want to pick up an AR here in probably a month but I have no idea where to start as in whats good/not good. I'm sure its probably better to buy your parts and build one yourself but I have no idea how so I'm just gonna buy one from the store. I'm looking to spend $800-$1200 and I know that isn't going to get me anything fantastic, but its a start. In that price range, what do you guys suggest I start to look at? I was probably going to go with .223 unless you all think there is something else I should go with?

I'm open to any suggestions good or bad. I currently own 3 guns...my 20 gauge shotgun my parents got me ages ago as a gift, my marlin .22, and my ccw gun, a springfield XD9 sub compact.

Thanks.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:51 PM   #5882
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
When it comes to AR's, ask the vendor if the rifle is Mil spec or Commercial spec. You want Mil spec simply because 90% of the parts out there are designed for Mil spec rifles so it will be easier to mod the gun if you decide to later.

Also your $800-$1,200 limit is too high. If you spend that much your stupid. AR-15's can currently be had for $600-$700. Don't be fooled by someone saying the big names are better and thus worth the extra money, all you are paying for is the name, that's it. There is only 4 companies that actually make the main parts of an AR, they just etch whatever companies name on the parts and charge extra. A $600 Delton will shoot just as good, be just as accurate, and be just as reliable as a $1,800 Colt.

If you're buying the gun, stick with .223. Other calibers that come in AR-15's require you build some and will be over your limit.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 PM   #5883
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
When it comes to AR's, ask the vendor if the rifle is Mil spec or Commercial spec. You want Mil spec simply because 90% of the parts out there are designed for Mil spec rifles so it will be easier to mod the gun if you decide to later.

Also your $800-$1,200 limit is too high. If you spend that much your stupid. AR-15's can currently be had for $600-$700. Don't be fooled by someone saying the big names are better and thus worth the extra money, all you are paying for is the name, that's it. There is only 4 companies that actually make the main parts of an AR, they just etch whatever companies name on the parts and charge extra. A $600 Delton will shoot just as good, be just as accurate, and be just as reliable as a $1,800 Colt.

If you're buying the gun, stick with .223. Other calibers that come in AR-15's require you build some and will be over your limit.
Where should I go to buy them for that price. I've only really looked at Academy's prices and most I see are well over the $600 price hence where I got the $800-$1200 range.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #5884
Mr_Draco

Academy is overpriced on their guns. Check you local gun shows and Walmart. Every Walmart near me has at least 4-5 AR's to choose from in that range.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #5885
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The M&P 15 is a good place to start or if you want a higher quality, the Daniel Defense DDM4 or LMT Defender are good rifles.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #5886
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Colt makes some good entry level AR's, as does Windham Weaponry. I personally would stay away from DPMS.

I do disagree with Draco that 800-1200 bucks is too high, but it really depends on how "basic" of a rifle you're looking for (he and I might have a different idea of "basic"). Like anything else, not all AR parts are truly equal. Some manufacturers really charge for the name (POF comes to mind), but some are better than others. Some come with different accessories, for instance the 1400 dollar Sig AR comes with a quad rail and flip up irons, instead of a plastic hand guard with no sights... etc etc.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:23 PM   #5887
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKid300 View Post
Well, I'm about to sound like a total noob...and well quite frankly I am when it comes to rifles. I want to pick up an AR here in probably a month but I have no idea where to start as in whats good/not good. I'm sure its probably better to buy your parts and build one yourself but I have no idea how so I'm just gonna buy one from the store. I'm looking to spend $800-$1200 and I know that isn't going to get me anything fantastic, but its a start. In that price range, what do you guys suggest I start to look at? I was probably going to go with .223 unless you all think there is something else I should go with?

I'm open to any suggestions good or bad. I currently own 3 guns...my 20 gauge shotgun my parents got me ages ago as a gift, my marlin .22, and my ccw gun, a springfield XD9 sub compact.

Thanks.
It's REALLY easy to build an AR. Just start reading into it. We could help you with any questions.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:47 PM   #5888
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The M&P 15 is a good place to start or if you want a higher quality, the Daniel Defense DDM4 or LMT Defender are good rifles.
Thanks, I check them out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
Colt makes some good entry level AR's, as does Windham Weaponry. I personally would stay away from DPMS.

I do disagree with Draco that 800-1200 bucks is too high, but it really depends on how "basic" of a rifle you're looking for (he and I might have a different idea of "basic"). Like anything else, not all AR parts are truly equal. Some manufacturers really charge for the name (POF comes to mind), but some are better than others. Some come with different accessories, for instance the 1400 dollar Sig AR comes with a quad rail and flip up irons, instead of a plastic hand guard with no sights... etc etc.
That's what I thought. I don't want basic basic. I want a quality AR that isn't going to jam, fu*k up, ect but not buy one of those $2,000 one

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
It's REALLY easy to build an AR. Just start reading into it. We could help you with any questions.
If you guys point me in the right direction I'd definitely be willing to give it a shot.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:59 PM   #5889
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:

That's what I thought. I don't want basic basic. I want a quality AR that isn't going to jam, fu*k up, ect but not buy one of those $2,000 one

If you guys point me in the right direction I'd definitely be willing to give it a shot.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #5890
13FastBlkSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Just added a Springfield M1A .308 and S&W M&P 9mm to my collection tonight

2013 Black / Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6 w/Magnuson TVS2300, ZL1 Fuelpump / ADM FPCM, NPP Exhaust, Cold Air Inductions CAI w/ Scoop, Elite Engineering Catch Can, VMAX Ported TB, OEM 1LE Front Splitter, AAC Ghosted Side Markers, Dropped on BMR Split Drop Springs
Build#24869
13FastBlkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:40 AM   #5891
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Some come with different accessories, for instance the 1400 dollar Sig AR comes with a quad rail and flip up irons, instead of a plastic hand guard with no sights... etc etc.
You can buy both of these for about $100. You're really better off buying just a basic gun and then adding the things you want, you'll save money in the end.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #5892
kalimus

Quote:

Well that again depends on what you mean by basic. The majority of AR's sold aren't going to jam up unless you feed them crappy ammunition. For that matter, most of their parts won't wear much faster than others (except possibly barrels). Accuracy for example could be affected though, if the parts fit losely... but it still won't be terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
You can buy both of these for about $100. You're really better off buying just a basic gun and then adding the things you want, you'll save money in the end.
100 bucks? You're going to get a heavier crappy drop in 2 piece quad rail instead of a free-float, and polymer sights (although if you don't plan on ever dropping it, no big deal)... and still exceed $100. And sure, by "heavy" I mean another 6-8 ounces, but start adding 2 or 3 things that are 6-8 ounces heavier than a nicer piece... a 7 pound AR will turn into a 12 pound AR real quick.

I do agree that buying a basic gun and adding is a good idea in general, but the build quality of a basic gun is still different if you were to compare a "basic" DPMS to a "basic" Sig or a Colt. There is a reason DPMS rifles are as cheap as they are. Just like anything else, the materials used are cheaper, allowing for a cheaper rifle. Tolerance is looser on the parts. The Wal-Mart Sporticle has no chrome-lined barrel, no forward assist, no sights, no case deflector, and a plastic handguard, and it costs about 700 dollars (not on sale). That's bare-bones basic, and you'll ultimately spend just as much adding or replacing those things as you would if you just spend the extra 200-300 dollars in the first place. DPMS used just as an example, because I had one when I was younger. I would never buy another.

ETA: I should point out that things like chrome-lining are not necessary and are really a preference more than anything. A non-lined barrel will work great, and if cleaned properly. My preference for chrome lining is more prior military preference (they're easier to clean, and less prone to corrosion... both of which might not matter to another person).

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
Old 05-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #5893
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Quote:
Well that again depends on what you mean by basic. The majority of AR's sold aren't going to jam up unless you feed them crappy ammunition. For that matter, most of their parts won't wear much faster than others (except possibly barrels). Accuracy for example could be affected though, if the parts fit losely... but it still won't be terrible.

100 bucks? You're going to get a heavier crappy drop in 2 piece quad rail instead of a free-float, and polymer sights (although if you don't plan on ever dropping it, no big deal)... and still exceed $100. And sure, by "heavy" I mean another 6-8 ounces, but start adding 2 or 3 things that are 6-8 ounces heavier than a nicer piece... a 7 pound AR will turn into a 12 pound AR real quick.

I do agree that buying a basic gun and adding is a good idea in general, but the build quality of a basic gun is still different if you were to compare a "basic" DPMS to a "basic" Sig or a Colt. There is a reason DPMS rifles are as cheap as they are. Just like anything else, the materials used are cheaper, allowing for a cheaper rifle. Tolerance is looser on the parts. The Wal-Mart Sporticle has no chrome-lined barrel, no forward assist, no sights, no case deflector, and a plastic handguard, and it costs about 700 dollars (not on sale). That's bare-bones basic, and you'll ultimately spend just as much adding or replacing those things as you would if you just spend the extra 200-300 dollars in the first place. DPMS used just as an example, because I had one when I was younger. I would never buy another.

ETA: I should point out that things like chrome-lining are not necessary and are really a preference more than anything. A non-lined barrel will work great, and if cleaned properly. My preference for chrome lining is more prior military preference (they're easier to clean, and less prone to corrosion... both of which might not matter to another person).

Thanks! I don't really know how else to describe basic other than I already have since I don't know much about them.

I really like Sigs but from what I've seen they are generally out of my price range.

I guess maybe I should explain it like this. I want a quality, tight fitting parts gun that doesn't have many plastic, cheap parts that looks like this...

so that I can then buy aftermarket accessories as I get the cash to make it looks more like this... (obviously just using this as an upgraded AR example not of what i want to do to mine lol)
Old 05-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #5894
kalimus

Quote:
Thanks! I don't really know how else to describe basic other than I already have since I don't know much about them.

I really like Sigs but from what I've seen they are generally out of my price range.

I guess maybe I should explain it like this. I want a quality, tight fitting parts gun that doesn't have many plastic, cheap parts that looks like this...

so that I can then buy aftermarket accessories as I get the cash to make it looks more like this... (obviously just using this as an upgraded AR example not of what i want to do to mine lol)
Well, I'm a Sig fan so I'm partial, but I actually don't own a Sig AR. My room-mate does though, and those parts fit very snug. On sale, I think the M400 is actually right at the top end of your price range.

As for plastic, you've got to understand that a lot of AR parts are plastic/polymer. Buttstock, handguards, buffer tube, pistol grips, foregrip (if you get one)... they're like that to keep them light weight. That second AR picture you showed probably weighs far too much for a "battle rifle", and tbh most of that crap is just for show. The first one, as gawdy as it looks, will be the lightest.

What you could do is build your own (even if you don't know how). There are many ways to do it, so that you can put it together how you want. You can buy lower receivers that have no parts (stripped) or a lower that has all the parts you need (complete lower). Then you can pick the upper, type of barrel, type of system (gas or piston), type of hardguard/rail, bolt carrier... etc. You don't even need to put the pieces together, although learning how would help you greatly understand your firearm.

This way you're not paying for things you don't want/need. For instance, my favorite mod on my AR is the BCM charging handle. It's like 40 or 50 bucks. I replaced the factory one, and now it just sits there. What you can do, is buy an upper without a bolt carrier/charging handle, and buy them separate. See what I mean? Lots of people here can help you with this process.

Tags
camaro gun