Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-15-2014, 08:01 AM   #603
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3350 View Post
This looks amazing! Are there any downsides to this kit? Does it retain steering wheel control? Does it work with iPhone 4 and 5? I may order this if there isn’t anything I’m losing. How is the navigation?

I believe you lose steering wheel controls.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:23 AM   #604
electronic1961

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben3350 View Post
This looks amazing! Are there any downsides to this kit? Does it retain steering wheel control? Does it work with iPhone 4 and 5? I may order this if there isn’t anything I’m losing. How is the navigation?
I didn’t found any downside… maybe one, the sound quality but I get fixed this by upgrading the RCA cables from main unit to the amplifier. I also installed 4CH BOSS IMPACT 1000.4 amplifier, Mono block amp BOSS R2400D and 10” subwoofer BOSS AR10D, and I am very satisfy with the quality of the sound. I must tell you the whole upgrade (head unit and subwoofer box include) did cost me les then MyLink retrofiting. The HITS unit does retain steering wheel controls. I don’t have iPhone so I can’t tell you anything about that, I think should work. They include IGO Primo navigation and I can’t complain but you can always change the nav software if you don’t like, the Google Play Store have many of them.
electronic1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #605
Toasty
Custom User Title :D

Drives: 2011 Summit White 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I believe you lose steering wheel controls.
Steering wheel controls work for the radio, apparently, but they don't control the iphone/ipod/etc...
Old 02-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #606
bnorman

Drives: 2015 1SS
Steering wheel controls are there...seems like maybe something to do with programming.

So it controls volume, source, station, mute, etc....But when playing music from a USB through the Music Player, it still wants to address the radio station. However it still controls volume, mute.

Also with the USB BT Module he sells, I think you can get by on just picking one up online or Best Buy, etc. There is no driver software to install anymore, I just plugged it in and it picked up the OBD2 module, so you can run Torque or probably a BT keyboard (havent tried mine).

Issue with the USB is maybe one is primary (powered internally) and one is a secondary. I am guessing my main USB line is run to the center console, the secondary is run to the glove box. If my USB is plugged into the Center Console, loads right up and music will start, in the Glove Box, not so much, have to unplug and plug back in.

Same with the USB BT dongle. Plugged in the Glove Box, it's an issue. Plugged into the Center Console, no problems, picks up everything and Torque loads right up.

I have emailed him about the 4.0 and he never addresses the question, if its the only one, he doesnt respond (I don't care for that). Now I have also emailed him about the USB issue and waiting for a response.

On the plus side for someone who knows how to work around a rooted android device, this is rooted. So you can download Apps that need root to work. I have downloaded one but just to see if it would download. Someone with experience might be able to tweak the settings to work out the kinks. I dunno.

Overall I would rate this a 7, I have had installed since November 2013.
Major issues a 6 (fitment, one lock up so far, BT quality)
Minor issues a 8 (USB issues, reverse camera quality, instructions, communication)

I can put up with the minor things, and have found a way to sidestep or fix the major issues with the exception of BT quality. Cheaper then new brand name headunit with the bells and whistles, looks stock, music quality is fine and makes the car and drive more intuitive.
bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #607
SinisSick
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 ss
Im just looking for a stock like system. I never use the BT or Nav. Just more for music and looks to me. Looks like I would need to update the Amp though.
SinisSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 11:07 PM   #608
CamaroLS

Drives: 2014 Blue Ray Met. Camaro 1SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moein85 View Post
I will try installing it to see if it fits okay. If it does I'll let you know. My headunit will be here on Monday
What all did you buy? Did it cost you 800.00 total shipped?
CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #609
CamaroLS

So is it really hard to see the 4 gauge pack with this radio?
Old 02-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #610
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroLS View Post
So is it really hard to see the 4 gauge pack with this radio?

From the pictures posted earlier I'd say so yes.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #611
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Wow, that headunit looks great. Glad to see a few members taking the plunge with this kit. Hope to hear positive experiences with it.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:58 PM   #612
CamaroLS

Ok. The ones who have this unit already have you heard if you will be able to upgrade to the 4.0 software?
Old 02-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #613
Moein85

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Hey guys I received my head unit today it is running on 4.0
I havnt installed it yet once I do ill post pictures and videos
Moein85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:11 PM   #614
GTPprix
I hack cars.

Drives: Lots ;)
Quote:
Hey guys I received my head unit today it is running on 4.0
I havnt installed it yet once I do ill post pictures and videos
Does it have the menu/power buttons that look like Stevie Wonder put them in?
GTPprix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #615
Moein85

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisSick View Post
Im just looking for a stock like system. I never use the BT or Nav. Just more for music and looks to me. Looks like I would need to update the Amp though.
I Installed a 4 Channel Amp ( Alpine KTP 445u). I just finished installing my Head unit. It sounds amazing. steering wheel controls work on every Mode (USB, CD, Bluetooth Music, And Radio.

the only down side was the fitment. It took me about an hour to Modify it.
Moein85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #616
CamaroLS

Quote:
I Installed a 4 Channel Amp ( Alpine KTP 445u). I just finished installing my Head unit. It sounds amazing. steering wheel controls work on every Mode (USB, CD, Bluetooth Music, And Radio.

the only down side was the fitment. It took me about an hour to Modify it.
Sounds like they made some strides but still did not fix the fitment issues out of the box. Have any pics? Thanks