Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #631
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
Max IAT's we see in 95-100 in the FL summers cruising usually 60-70* max.

Jeremy,

I'll be in Sat until noon, and then Sunday most of the day. Just call.

Customers all drool over your car w/the cage & black wheels.
Old 12-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #632
B.Buster

Drives: 2010 AquaBlue 2SS/RS
Very close to the numbers I see. I was down to 26* ICWT a few days ago.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #633
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Max IAT's we see in 95-100 in the FL summers cruising usually 60-70* max.
well that's pretty impressive. I'd be very interested in getting this system if that's the case. I'd want to leave the system running all the time just because I wouldn't want to have to think about turning it on or off.

I assume it can run all the time w/o any ill effects?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #634
Turbo99

Drives: 08' F250 Diesel & 10' Camaro 2SS
Yeah you can run it all the time, the only time it is off is if you A/C copressor is off, so say the winter time you run the heat and not the compressor, it the bypasses the cooler and run through the normal heat exchanger that comes with the super charger.

So if your riding around with the A/C on the chiller is working. Now at the track to prevent drippage you have a toggle switch which turns off the inside part of our A/C and therefore doesnot pull humidity out and the chiller only is working so you can race at the track w/o any issues.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #635
SLOWG8

Drives: g8
will this kit work on the pontiac g8?
Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #636
SC2150
Account Suspended

Yes, we are doing a G8 version.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:10 AM   #637
SC2150
Account Suspended

Smoke 1LT's system got down to 29*F the other night when it was in the mid 80's here before he left. On a 1100 mile endurance test drive back to PA today...heat in the low to mid 90's.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #638
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
So off the wall question.... some cars have had AC problems. Mine was actually blowing hot air a couple of times before with AC turned on last year - hasn't happened since. What happens if you're counting on low AIT's to protect from detonation and AC has a blip? Can enough timing be pulled in the tune using a relocated Maggie IAT sensor to reverse possible detonation in the event of a failure?

Has anyone proven the AC can withstand the loads from high boost (17), chiller, hot summer 100 degree days driving 1000 miles to Cfest? I know this is going against the grain, but what about Torq dual pass HE combined with Chiller? It's been responded to (thanks), still on the fence obviously.

Could run chiller for track type events and just HE normally. If at the track, could leave fans turned on for HE and not leave engine running/heating up, kick on chiller before run, off momentarily to circulate cold fluid into HE, back to chiller, do the 1/4 mile run and when @WOT have more cold fluid capacity down the track. I'm obviously not building for gas mileage, but running the AC all the time has to have effect on mileage. (just thinking out loud and juggling ideas)

Other option would be larger HE with fans & ice tank for track days only, other times increased fluid capacity could only help steady the AIT's.

Yes I'm full of questions and ears are open! Anyone's game to jump in - I like lots of opinions that point in the same direction.

Thanks
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Old 06-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #639
SC2150
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
So off the wall question.... some cars have had AC problems. Mine was actually blowing hot air a couple of times before with AC turned on last year - hasn't happened since. What happens if you're counting on low AIT's to protect from detonation and AC has a blip? Can enough timing be pulled in the tune using a relocated Maggie IAT sensor to reverse possible detonation in the event of a failure?

The variable output compressors already have the capacity for a rear,or dual AC system such as most SUV's have so no added stress with the Super Chiller. Also, smoke 1lt just drove 1100 miles straight w/no issues and we have these that have been running for 10's of thousands of miles w/out issue. If the AC should fail, or be turned off the RX Super Chiller automatically senses this and defaults back to the super chiller operation.

Has anyone proven the AC can withstand the loads from high boost (17), chiller, hot summer 100 degree days driving 1000 miles to Cfest? I know this is going against the grain, but what about Torq dual pass HE combined with Chiller? It's been responded to (thanks), still on the fence obviously. See above reply. If you use a larger HE it would be good insurance for extra cooling if not using the Super Chiller, but since the super chiller bypasses the HE so it is not fighting all the extra coolant when in use and the ambient air temps, (a HE can only cool to within 10-20* of ambient air temp no matter how large or efficient the HE, the RX Super Chiller uses the freon at or below freezing so that is whay it works so well and you need 50/50 coolant mix to not freeze the coolant in the system.).

Could run chiller for track type events and just HE normally. If at the track, could leave fans turned on for HE and not leave engine running/heating up, kick on chiller before run, off momentarily to circulate cold fluid into HE, back to chiller, do the 1/4 mile run and when @WOT have more cold fluid capacity down the track. I'm obviously not building for gas mileage, but running the AC all the time has to have effect on mileage. (just thinking out loud and juggling ideas)

Other option would be larger HE with fans & ice tank for track days only, other times increased fluid capacity could only her temp steady the AIT's.

That would be a very inefficient way to cool the intercoolant as you would be fighting all the HE coolant and ambient air temp.

Yes I'm full of questions and ears are open! Anyone's game to jump in - I like lots of opinions that point in the same direction.

Thanks
Good questions, keep the questions coming, and be aware that purchasing a large HE that can only cool to within 10-20* of ambient air temp at equal, or near the cost (some are even more) is a waste of $ IMHO as it will only be use your AC fails or is turned off. If you have the $ to spend on both then it is a good back-up.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #640
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
What about his timing question.... if the A/C messes up will it pull timing with the right tune? Also, if timing is aggressively added with this system how does it keep from detonation when its not in use (sorry if that doesnt' make sense, sounds better in my head, but hopefully you get what im saying)?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #641
jasycz28
J.Sick

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by se7en View Post
What about his timing question.... if the A/C messes up will it pull timing with the right tune? Also, if timing is aggressively added with this system how does it keep from detonation when its not in use (sorry if that doesnt' make sense, sounds better in my head, but hopefully you get what im saying)?

In the tune you can have the timing pulled if their is a rise in the IAT's.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #642
se7en

Drives: 10 Procharged SS
Im interested in this but need to read through the 17 pages and get familiar with it. Im stuck at an airport so it will give me something to pass the time
Old 06-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #643
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
I saw where this isn't recomended for road racing guys... and quite frankly don't know how long they run for normally. Can this be used on a road course for 15-20 minutes? Probably 1-3 times a year max. 1/4 mile is more my interest, but hardly make it there either with time constraints.

Also, big question.....will the system clear my Rotofab coil pack covers?
(looks is just as important as performance for me)

1st pic is installed, 2nd pic the cover is ready for removal - just resting on the supports. Keep in mind my fuel rails were raised 1/2" with the RDS thermal spacer, so the upper braces for the cover were modified for the angle difference.

As far as if AC compressor went out for any reason, I'll have the Aeroforce programable gauges with AIT display and alarmed, besides - not looking to have tuned to utilize lower temps. Mostly for safety and not having timing pulled.
Attached Images

Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Old 06-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #644
SC2150
Account Suspended

jasy is correct. Your tuner only needs to tweak the IAT tables.

Road course is not an issue.....have several running them road racing & autocross.

It should clear the coil covers, but will be tight.

Our adaptor hs the low-side tube exiting downward so it should clear.

Closed Thread