Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #673
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
GTAHVIT is correct. I wouldn't worry so much about 'lack of performance' to make your decision on 22s. Especially if 95% of your driving is on the streets. 315 wide Pirelli tires on those 22s aren't exactly non-performance tires. My Camaro makes 535 rwhp with the supercharger and I'm just fine on the 22s. Could it be faster with 20s? Sure, but how fast do I need it? Its fast enough for me, I'm not trying to beat someone in a race. 535 rwhp is plenty enough to blister the tires no matter what size you choose. At the end of the day, you still have more power than the tires will hold on the street, and you will still need to learn how to drive it properly.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #674
Chrisrp454

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6, 98Z28 M6
So did they fix the old wheels or send you new one?

Ordered 5/23/2009
3400 with TPW of 08/03/09
3800 8/11/2009
Arrived 8/21/2009 2SS/RS/Aqua Blue/Grey Interior
Chrisrp454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #675
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
They look great. Had you to do it all over again, would get the 22's?
No.

But NOT because of performance. It's a durability thing. And maybe I'm wrong, but considering the situation, they seem (to me anyway) to be a little fragile. GTAHVIT, and Nine Ball have both assured me over and over again that they are just fine as far as that is concerned. But I can't get it out of my head. It may take a while. Maybe I'm just really aware of my car, but there IS still the slightest of vibration. I think many wouldn't notice it now. (a month ago the passenger could easily feel it, and hear it) But I do. May be considered acceptable and if it never gets worse I'm fine with it. If I order more in the future, they will be 20s even if just to give me piece of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JProberts View Post
Is it the particular Savani wheels that have you concerned about adding the supercharger or 22's in general?
22s in general. I've bought or obtained rims a number of times in the past and I've never had so much as a sniff of a problem. So I buy 22 inchers and I hear things like "22 inch wheels are not as perfectly true as smaller rims".

Again, maybe it is just my recent experience, but the guys at the shop questioned the same wheel that was considered the worst wheel. So it's not like they were trying to find a problem. How is a consumer supposed to feel after all that has happened to have them get back and see the tech and manager of a wheels shop look at each other as if they are trying to decide what to do? Then tell you to run them and see if it's ok?

Shouldn't they spin them and say "Ok, these are good"? 3 of them were. Front passenger wheel is what they debated over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
GTAHVIT is correct. I wouldn't worry so much about 'lack of performance' to make your decision on 22s. Especially if 95% of your driving is on the streets. 315 wide Pirelli tires on those 22s aren't exactly non-performance tires. My Camaro makes 535 rwhp with the supercharger and I'm just fine on the 22s. Could it be faster with 20s? Sure, but how fast do I need it? Its fast enough for me, I'm not trying to beat someone in a race. 535 rwhp is plenty enough to blister the tires no matter what size you choose. At the end of the day, you still have more power than the tires will hold on the street, and you will still need to learn how to drive it properly.
Like I said, I just need some 'mental reenforcement' over time with these wheels. May have been fine if the guys at the shop hadn't reacted the way they did. AND it was the same wheel that was questionable the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrp454 View Post
So did they fix the old wheels or send you new one?
They didn't send a new one. That would have taken a lot longer anyway. I'm not sure what they did. Maybe took it apart and retouqued it? I don't know.

Last edited by PQ; 05-14-2010 at 12:03 PM.
PQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #676
Savini
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to Savini
not funny...

hahahaha.... jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
I never get tired of square wheels!

EDIT: added spy shot..
Savini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #677
Savini
Account Suspended

We did change parts on the damaged wheel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
But how would they fix it without changing any parts?
Old 05-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #678
Savini
Account Suspended

PM sent:

In regards to the washers... all I know if that there was impressions on the wheels from something like that. Whether it was from the rotor or a washer I couldn't tell you.

I totally agree in regards to the quality and expectations of the wheel. Sometime there are things we have no control of, like damage in shipping. Once we got the wheels back we inspected and took pictures of all the read outs and conditions and found them to be sufficient except that one wheel. I am completely surprised that first shop you went to even mounted the tires with a wheel that damaged...

Anyways, I apologize again for all the trouble and I hope that it is to a point now where you can at least enjoy the wheels and all the head turns! They really do set the car off! If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to contact me! Thanks Randy
Old 05-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #679
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
FWIW... I did not have retaining clips/washers on either of my Camaros... totally flush.

Glad you're back on the road with those sweet wheels Randy... I know exactly what you mean about gaining confidence in 22" wheels. First time for me too...
Old 05-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #680
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Savini:
Please make sure to pack my wheels in bubble wrap and double boxed! Also mark them "FRAGILE!" This thread is making me nervous!

PQ, your wheels look fabulous!
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #681
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savini View Post
We did change parts on the damaged wheel...
Sweet. Good to hear. I just needed to know I'm not crazy.

Quote:
PM sent:

In regards to the washers... all I know if that there was impressions on the wheels from something like that. Whether it was from the rotor or a washer I couldn't tell you.

I totally agree in regards to the quality and expectations of the wheel. Sometime there are things we have no control of, like damage in shipping. Once we got the wheels back we inspected and took pictures of all the read outs and conditions and found them to be sufficient except that one wheel. I am completely surprised that first shop you went to even mounted the tires with a wheel that damaged...

Anyways, I apologize again for all the trouble and I hope that it is to a point now where you can at least enjoy the wheels and all the head turns! They really do set the car off! If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to contact me! Thanks Randy
Well, it all makes sense now. The shop yesterday basically was surprised I sent all 4 back.

I now know, you can't take your good wheels to just any shop.

These things turn heads no doubt. And I'm hoping the subtle vibration I have now is my mind playing tricks and it's just the road. And once again, if it stays like this, I'm happy.

Once again Nick, thank you for your extra attention. I know it's not normal to actually take pics and video for a customer. AND to send pics of the process as you've done with Emma. That's first class service.

Quote:
not funny...

hahahaha.... jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
FWIW... I did not have retaining clips/washers on either of my Camaros... totally flush.

Glad you're back on the road with those sweet wheels Randy... I know exactly what you mean about gaining confidence in 22" wheels. First time for me too...
I think with time we will totaly forget they are. Maybe in a month or two, I'll recomend 22s. Just not yet.

By the way, the shop I went to had some damn nice wheels in the showroom and when they opened mine they were like............ well, let me quote him;

"Holy Crap! Those are F***ing beautiful"

Old 05-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #682
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Savini:
Please make sure to pack my wheels in bubble wrap and double boxed! Also mark the "FRAGILE!" This thread is making me nervous!

Emma? Don't feel that way. My wheels are ironed out just fine. The damage that was done to my wheels probably would have happend to ANY sized wheel. Shipping companies suck sometimes. Could have been the first tire shop I went to.

I have only described my feelings based on my isolated experience. We all know what first impressions do. I've never heard anything bad about Savini from anyone. I HAVE heard bad things about 22 inch wheels. It isn't Savini that has me feeling this way. But the 22s. And only because it was the decision to go with 22s that was so hard for me. So the size of wheel was already under scrutiny in my own mind. Shipping or tire shop damage only exacerbated my concern of 22s.

I believe with time I will forget about it. I'm totaly excited about my wheels. TOTALY!!!!!!!!! And you will be too.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #683
Darth_Emma

Thanks for that, PQ. I have no doubt you are right. I just worry about everything.

Besides, I am absolutely confident that Nineball takes good care of all of his clients and Savini also has great customer service.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:24 PM   #684
JB @ C and L Machine

Drives: Ordered 2011
Please Savini ...pack my wheels extra special!!!! They have to travel 3000 miles
JB @ C and L Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #685
Savini
Account Suspended

"Yes Yes'a Masta"

'HAHAHAHAHAHA... We will take good care of you Emma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Savini:
Please make sure to pack my wheels in bubble wrap and double boxed! Also mark them "FRAGILE!" This thread is making me nervous!

Old 05-14-2010, 05:28 PM   #686
Darth_Emma

Thank you!