Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 03-25-2014, 04:28 AM   #57
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Drive View Post
What size Rivals were you running and on how wide of a wheel?
I haven't nor will I ever run Rivals...I have seen others I race with have issues with them and take them off and return to either Michelin's or Falken's....so good luck to all that try them....
Old 03-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #58
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by crangie View Post
Hankook R-S3 . . . . This might be an interesting alternative.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/top-tires/
That's the other tire on my personal short list, just in 285/35-18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I run 1.6 camber on the front and it is still an issue...need camber plates to get any more out of the front. The rear it is not as much of an issue for me, but the weight of the front does tend to wear the edge...I know running at Road America last summer, the carousel did a number on the drivers side front tire, followed by running a banked course in Nashville.
Thanks for the data point (I'd expected slightly less, maybe a hair over -1°). That tells me that what I'm running now (-1.8°) is probably marginal at best for all-out driving, at least where 285-wide tires on 10" wide wheels are concerned.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 AM   #59
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro69 View Post
I've been looking into a smaller diameter wheel to open up more tire options. Last time I checked tirerack.com I didn't see Rivals in 19", only 18s and they are like two inches shorter than the 20's.

You have any idea on what wheels you're considering yet?
I heard rumors they would have more 19" options but who knows... I might end up sticking with 20" wheels as there are a few good options for the events I like to run.

It will be a set of Forgeline's for sure, I'm thinking Mono-Block...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan1LE View Post
Hey Jordan, what camber are you running if you don't mind me asking? I'm currently trying to decide on wheel size and PSS or Rival. I noticed the chunking on your fronts when I met you at OUSCI last year, but forgot to ask about it. And congrats on the strong run at Laguna!
I'm running 2.4* in the front and 1.4* in the rear and I've had good luck with street and track driving mixed. I just got a brand new set before Laguna and they are already chunking bad.... It is only the fronts but it is ridiculous to say the least..

I appreciate it! We completely changed the suspension over to the DSE set up and we're working on getting it dialed in but it is super close. I broke an axle on the first straight of the first run on the autocross course which cost me the morning session in Speed Stop/Autocross. I was fortunate to get an axle from a local Camaro5 member to get me going just in time for the sound patrol to show up... I had 104 DB and the limit was 92 DB.... I wasn't able to get many runs (1 speed stop) and managed a 4th in the Autocross and 22nd in Speed Stop. She actually ran from the autocross to the speed stop when I ran because I was so loud... We ended up 6th on the road course but I needed a lot more rear spring rate as shown in the picture below. I think we would have been a solid 3rd Place overall car had everything worked out but we'll be ready for the next one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
The edges on the PSS are an issue, mine wear out that side too fast...but from what I have seen on cars, the Rival's aren't any better...in fact given the weight of our Camaro's, none of the tires I have tried fair well on the outer edges, oddly except the NT-05's which usually wear the center stripe too fast, even at lower pressure....
That is interesting... I have a lot of camber up front and mine come apart within 1 event...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Front tires? Rear tires? Both?

The Michelin PSS is on my short list for rack time tires and I'm wondering if they have some sensitivity to camber or wheel width that I ought to be aware of (and consider doing something about before shelling out $$$$). 285/35's on a ~300 HP 3500# car isn't all that much better than 295/35's on a 3800# car or 315/35's with 400+ HP.

Norm
The issue for me is always the fronts and I have a 10" wheel. I run as much camber as anyone I've seen but I might have to go for more next time. I do get even wear over the life of the tire with my current settings but for the price of these tires it's hard to believe they come apart after one event..

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #60
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Thanks, Jordan. What size tires?

Are your rear wheels 11" wide?

Norm
Old 03-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #61
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Thanks, Jordan. What size tires?

Are your rear wheels 11" wide?

Norm
Norm,

I'm running 295/35R20 in the front and 315/35R20 in the rear with 10" F and 11" R wheels.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #62
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Thanks, Jordan. I've been zooming in on your picture several times and it does appear that the camber situation at the right rear is in a better place than at the right front. But I also think I'm seeing the front tread rolling a little further under the wheel, suggesting greater carcass distortion. There are three different 295/35's and two 315/35's and I don't know which ones you have, so anything past that would be pure speculation.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-31-2014 at 05:38 AM. Reason: edit in red
Old 03-30-2014, 09:07 AM   #63
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
I was faster on 18s and falkens then i am on 20s and r compounds. ( i know weight plays a roll here)

If i still had 18s it would be wrapped in the falkens. The cost to performace was pristine.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #64
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
"I appreciate it! We completely changed the suspension over to the DSE set up and we're working on getting it dialed in but it is super close. I broke an axle on the first straight of the first run on the autocross course which cost me the morning session in Speed Stop/Autocross. I was fortunate to get an axle from a local Camaro5 member to get me going just in time for the sound patrol to show up... I had 104 DB and the limit was 92 DB.... I wasn't able to get many runs (1 speed stop) and managed a 4th in the Autocross and 22nd in Speed Stop. She actually ran from the autocross to the speed stop when I ran because I was so loud... We ended up 6th on the road course but I needed a lot more rear spring rate as shown in the picture below. I think we would have been a solid 3rd Place overall car had everything worked out but we'll be ready for the next one! '

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 960x640.

Jordan, I thought you were testing the RideTech dampers? Now the move to Detroit Speed which is a whole different price category. If I am correct you have also tested other manufactures stuff. As the unofficial Camaro5 test pilot, perhaps you can give us all a summary review (street and track) of your impressions of all the different dampers you have tried.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:44 PM   #65
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
Oh Snap!

Quote:
PRODUCT BULLETIN: HOOSIER ST6 PERFORMANCE STREET TIRE

LAKEVILLE, IN - Hoosier is proud to announce its entry into the popular "street tire" motorsports category with the new ST6. It is designed to compete in series requiring a minimum rating of 200 Uniform Tire Quality Grading (UTQG), and brings Hoosier's nearly 60 years of racing experience to the fast-growing world of street legal* pro touring, autocross, and endurance racing events.

The exclusive multi-layer construction of the ST6 offers a secondary compound at lower tread depth based on our expertise in the A6 race tire line. This gives competitors the choice of shaving to 3/32-in tread depth to maximize dry competition or leaving at 7/32-in† molded depth for intermediate conditions.

Tire Rack will be the exclusive distributor of the Hoosier ST6, and will have eight sizes available by April 30. Online orders must confirm the vehicle make and model with a Tire Rack sales representative via telephone to ensure fitment.

Preview a video of the ST6's specifications and performance against similar competing brands at a recent invitation-only testing session: [Click here]

* Warning: the Hoosier Racing Tires ST6 is not intended for highway use.
† Average molded tread depth 6.9/32-in.

http://www.hoosiertire.com - "TIRES DESIGNED FOR CHAMPIONS"
Old 04-01-2014, 12:46 PM   #66
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
Damn April Fools joke. If you click on the link for the video it takes you to a Rick Astley Video. Damn it!!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #67
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Yes, Detroit Speed is a BFG crew....
Old 04-01-2014, 04:55 PM   #68
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Damnit hoosier!
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #69
SVThis

Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS Victory Red 1 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsi99 View Post
Damn April Fools joke. If you click on the link for the video it takes you to a Rick Astley Video. Damn it!!
I was about ready to whip out my credit card. It wouldn't surprise me if Hoosier does come out with something like this.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:45 AM   #70
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
Almost got me. The part about not approved for highway use made me stop for a second then it hit me
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote