Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #57
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
There you go, that's the number I posted
Old 07-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #58
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzobian View Post
Here you go Billy10mm

As it reads on my invoice from last night:
REFER TO GM PIC5819A
That doesn't describe our particular problem, but if it gets the dealership to replace my shocks, I don't care.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #59
crimsongtp

Drives: 2014 AGM SS/RS 1LE
Scheduled an appointment for next monday. I will see what becomes of it.

has anyone been given a loaner car while they work on it? Is that normal for warranty or no?
crimsongtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #60
Freddy G

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE /2011 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsongtp View Post
Scheduled an appointment for next monday. I will see what becomes of it.

has anyone been given a loaner car while they work on it? Is that normal for warranty or no?
Yeah, I just had my rear bumper replaced under warranty, they gave me a brand new Silverado for 4 days.
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #61
crimsongtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy G View Post
Yeah, I just had my rear bumper replaced under warranty, they gave me a brand new Silverado for 4 days.
Man I hope I'm that lucky haha

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Old 07-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #62
2015_1LE_soon

Drives: 2015_1le
[QUOTE=Iroc Drew;9203233]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2015_1LE_soon View Post
Your last statement resonates with me. I didn't want to take it to the dealer, and have them attack every deep pothole until my windshield shattered.

The best way to avoid this from happening is drive around the dealer until you hit a bump that causes the strut to make that popping sound or bottom-out feeling, and make note of where that is (right lane, left lane, etc...). Then press the service guys to come with you, so that they don't just go searching for something to break the car.

I'll send in a screenshot of my service order in case anyone thinks that it may help them get the work done.

Also, I told the dealer (before we went out for the drive) that I'll even pay to have the strut just changed out to check and see if that solves the problem. They chuckled, and we went on the drive. THey still tried to tell me that there's no issue, but SCREW THEM. They didn't pay for the car, and they get paid to fix problems, SO DON'T LET THE DEALER CONVINCE YOU THAT IT'S NORMAL. It's not normal, and GOD only knows the damage that our wheel bearings and ball joints etc are taking.

TAKE THE CAR IN, AND GET IT DONE!

I'm typing in capital letters on these posts because I'm so upset that this is not a recognized problem, especially when we've ordered a vehicle that is known for it's suspension.

Good luck, guys. DON'T TAKE 'There's no problem with the suspension, sir.' FOR AN ANSWER![/

Can you send me a screen shot of the service order? Thanks.
Yes.
Attached Images

2015_1LE_soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 07:06 PM   #63
2015_1LE_soon

Drives: 2015_1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzobian View Post
For the longest time I thought you guys complaining over the years were wimps. Suck it up losers, you bought a track oriented car, what did you expect? My car is at the dealer as I type this because there was a big difference between what I was experiencing with a rough ride and noise before and what it sounds like now. The sound/roughness it has developed over the last few weeks when I hit the "right" bumps is unmistakable. It sounds horrific, like the windshield is about to shatter. The dealer knew all about it, didn't give me any hassle. New struts and alignment, should have it back tomorrow. Good thing I didn't write what I thought about people complaining over the years, I would have to eat crow now.
One thing to note, for me, it didn't seem to get worse with time. It was bad since day 3
2015_1LE_soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:16 PM   #64
crimsongtp

Took it in today. They didn't care for me to give them a ride in it but I described the problem thoroughly. Then they gave me a cruze. Lord it's awful
Old 07-18-2016, 12:21 PM   #65
LSXDoc

Drives: 2015 1SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Took it in today. They didn't care for me to give them a ride in it but I described the problem thoroughly. Then they gave me a cruze. Lord it's awful
Could've been worse...could've been a Sonic or a Spark!
Stainless Power LTs w/ CATs
Stainless Works ZL1 Res. Delete 3" Retro Catback
DST Ported ZL1 TB
619RWHP / 539LB-FT
LSXDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #66
crimsongtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXDoc View Post
Could've been worse...could've been a Sonic or a Spark!
They pulled up in a ram 1500 and I was like... Ok I can deal. And then they were like oh no you're getting a cruze.... Damnit.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #67
Freddy G

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE /2011 2LT
Quote:
Haha, hopefully its a new one at least.. Could've been a 02 Sunfire
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #68
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
If it hasn't been mentioned, check your exhaust bracing for missing bolts etc. I had this problem once with a brand new car (right off the truck). Sometimes things are missed.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:39 PM   #69
terry_b

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to terry_b
So they're re-paving a big section of I-395N here in CT (why, I'm not sure - the section they milled up and re-paved wasn't even a "bad" section of interstate). I've had quite a few opportunities to hit a very abrupt bump, both raised and lowered sections of pavement, which means I've been able to test out what causes the suspension to make a loud noise.

Imagine the road in 2D side-scroller format:

__________________________________________________ ________

When they mill the pavement down they stop at bridge expansion joints and such. *Usually* they build up a transition so it isn't a windshield cracking bone jarring transition at highway speed, but sometimes it is still a very sudden elevation change.

So as I'm driving along, when I hit the first bump, the suspension has to compress very rapidly, and if the bump is severe enough the struts will bottom hard. On the backside of that bump the suspension has to extend rapidly.

Due to how the damping is set up in the 1LE suspension - with it being much "firmer" or "harsher" it is slower to react to those rapid changes. The result is a pretty rough ride over bumpy surfaces and a really jarring reaction to sudden steep changes. The struts can't compress quickly enough so the tire takes a hard jolt and then the struts ends up bottoming hard with the weight of the car. Then the struts can't rebound quick enough and the strut and wheel as one assembly basically fall out of the car, the top hats "bottom" on the top of the strut tower.

As I've been driving around I feel less like there's a problem with my car specifically and more like it is just the nature of the beast. That being said - I wonder what the healthy lifespan of the 1LE struts are because I'm at 36k miles and the ride definitely feels "worse" than it did new. I would imagine my heavy foot and the stiffer setup takes a harder toll on the individual components. I would be very interested to know if there's a way to test the struts. I don't doubt that there are some bad struts out there but I feel like mine are ok.

That's my take on things, maybe one of the gurus like Justice Pete can chime in?
Old 07-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #70
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy G View Post
No dealership in my area gives loaners for anything. Not even the Porsche dealership. Actually, the local MB dealership gives loaners, but they have strict rules about where you can go (no driving to NYC) and no parking in the street.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote