Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #57
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
Would you like to buy mine?

$50k!

428 RWHP, custom... everything- $10k under what's in it! Id love to start over without the stress... but as you can see, my price (including depreciation) keeps me trapped. I work for a living... can't afford to walk away!

Great theory tho!
Already have one.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:22 AM   #58
HDRDTD

All I'm saying is that if you still haven't gotten your issues resolved to your satisfaction after all this time, and all the continuing frustration just makes things worse, then sometimes it's just not worth it, no matter what loss you'd have to take.

Is it better to keep your car and continue to be frustrated with GM, or is it better to cut your losses, sell it and move on to something else that won't have all the issues you've been dealing with for so long.

In my case, my top was replaced months ago and everything has been fine since.

Yes it would be nice if GM could solve your issues one way or another, but just how long do you wait.?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #59
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
All I'm saying is that if you still haven't gotten your issues resolved to your satisfaction after all this time, and all the continuing frustration just makes things worse, then sometimes it's just not worth it, no matter what loss you'd have to take.

Is it better to keep your car and continue to be frustrated with GM, or is it better to cut your losses, sell it and move on to something else that won't have all the issues you've been dealing with for so long.

Yes it would be nice if GM could solve your issues one way or another, but just how long do you wait.?
A success story!! Mind giving us some details? Maybe a photo please, showing what a rub free top looks like?
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #60
Bonanza7
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010, Rally Yellow, Black stripes
My point is that it seems only GM has these problems. It goes back a long way, at least as far as my 91 Cavalier converts. They never did fix that one, just killed the car. Same problems with the tops on those, as there are with the Camaros. Continue on to the Solstices. Insane problems with those, every part of the car. Never fixed any of them, just replaced bad parts with more bad parts. I finally pulled the plug and got rid of mine. Should have sued them for medical bills from my slashed hand caused by a known defect..chrome peeling off the interior door handle. My point is that The General goes half way, and then stops. Never does it right all the way. Good enough is not good enough. Where is Lutz when we need him? This seems sort of like it was with my daughter's KIA. They had defective switches in the IP. The dealer kept replacing them and they broke again. He said the were not going to get a fix. Kia decided to keep replacing the bad ones with more bad ones. Then when the warranty went out, it was the customer's problem. They had decided it was cheaper than fixing the defect. Not in the same league as a top, but they never did get a fix for the Cavalier tops, either. Left it till the warranty went out, then, tough luck.

Last edited by Bonanza7; 01-23-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Bonanza7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #61
Blitz

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
How is that a false statement?

Here is why I think GM is leaving us out in the cold:
How many posts has Fbodfather (the only GM guy I know that posts in these forums) posted in a ZL1 thread? 322 http://www.camaro5.com/forums/search...rchid=13021355 looks like he posts daily!

How many posts has he posted in convertible threads?
How many posts in the last 9 months since these problems have surfaced? 0, ZERO, NADA, ZILCH! http://www.camaro5.com/forums/search...rchid=13021305

Check out this post from almost a year ago. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...51#post2853651

If GM stopped building convertibles the media would be ALL over that story. That is the worst thing they could do.

MOST people that have a top replaced under warranty come out WORSE that before they had it replaced. Why would anyone subject their car to MORE problems if GM doesn't have a clear working fix?
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner and this is my point as well. We just want f-ing answers and someone to take accountability. I don't want my top replaced by something that is just going to fail again or is even worse. Look at the number of people who have had multiple tops fail. Sorry, no free test subject here.

SUX, it's a long drive, but you can join Drago and Me for some drinks when we get put in the penalty box.

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #62
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
A success story!! Mind giving us some details? Maybe a photo please, showing what a rub free top looks like?
My car is a 2011 2SS/RS Vert, and yes it did have the rub marks on both sides along with a indentation that was fairly deep, but it had not gone all the way through the fabric when I took it to the dealer.
At that time, the Service manager looked at it and agreed that it was an issue, but he was waiting for word from GM as to how to proceed.
This was all back in August of '11 I believe.
He finally got the go-ahead from GM to replace my top, ordered it, and after it finally came in they replaced it.
One thing my dealer did, was to talk one of the top's designers into coming in after hours on the designer's own time, to help teach the dealer's tech how to replace the top.
Yes it cost the dealer a good amount of money out of his pocket to have the designer come and show his tech how to do it, but the dealer figured it would pay off in the long run.

they had the car for a few days, but I told them to take their time, as I was in no rush to get the car back.

Well they did an outstanding job. No more rub marks at all. They did notice during the top install, that the rear passenger corner of the inner lining wasn't quite right, so they ordered that and installed that as well.

Now my top did have a small stretch wrinkle on both sides for a while, but it has since gone away for the most part.

Overall I'm quite happy with my outcome. Tops CAN be replaced properly.

Mt Vert is in storage for the winter, so I don't have any pictures of it right now.
Sorry.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #63
'11 cyber grey vert
"SHARK" Born Apr.26,2011

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS Convertible
Quote:
My car is a 2011 2SS/RS Vert, and yes it did have the rub marks on both sides along with a indentation that was fairly deep, but it had not gone all the way through the fabric when I took it to the dealer.
At that time, the Service manager looked at it and agreed that it was an issue, but he was waiting for word from GM as to how to proceed.
He finally got the go-ahead from GM to replace my top, ordered it, and after it finally came in they replaced it.
One thing my dealer did, was to talk one of the top's designers into coming in after hours on the designer's own time, to help teach the dealer's tech how to replace the top.
Yes it cost the dealer a good amount of money out of his pocket to have the designer come and show his tech how to do it, but the dealer figured it would pay off in the long run.

they had the car for a few days, but I told them to take their time, as I was in no rush to get the car back.

Well they did an outstanding job. No more rub marks at all. They did notice during the top install, that the rear passenger corner of the inner lining wasn't quite right, so they ordered that and installed that as well.

Now my top did have a small stretch wrinkle on both sides for a while, but it has since gone away for the most part.

Mt Vert is in storage for the winter, so I don't have any pictures of it right now.
Sorry.
I am glad to hear of a proper outcome...congrats!!
Your dealer took the correct steps,IMO,and did things right the 1st time.
If all the dealers were as professional in their approach,there just might be a lot more happy vert owners!!!
'11 cyber grey vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #64
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
HDRDTD, So glad it worked out for you I would like nothing else but to have this resolved. My top frame keeps collapsing why should I take a loss on a car that I paid in good faith for. I do not believe I am being unreasonable about expecting it to work as advertised. A buy back and or replacement is an option but in no way is there any reason any of us should take a loss
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #65
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:

Sorry.
Awesome... guess living near motor city has it advantages. I would be willing to make the drive from New Orleans to have mine replaced properly. Glad to know that there is some hope.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #66
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:

I've been down that road with my last car, a BMW 135. No major problems with the top or anything, but every trip to the dealer for any service was a major pain in the ass. When they had it 3 days to replace the radio and reprogrammed the engine and transmission while they had it despite me telling them not to, that was enough. I decided to take a big loss, get rid of it, and get the Camaro. Sorry, but I can't do it again. If I encounter the problems these guys have, I'll have to fight with GM or just remove the damn top and only drive the car on dry days. Neither choice is a real winner for a $40,000 car.

It is encouraging to hear that yours was fixed satisfactorily. I think that's the first one I've heard of where the owner was happy and had no problems with a replacement top. It's good to hear they got one right.

Last edited by Lee123; 01-23-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Lee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:56 PM   #67
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Well that's just a false statement. And it's comments like this that cause me to say what I do most of the time. :(

All I'm trying to do is provide some missing perspective...it's clear this is a problem for some cars, but if it were a massive issue, they wouldn't be building convertibles right now...

Given the horribly negative feedback I'm getting...I'll stop there and just say is this:

If you've got a problem with your top. You can have it replaced under warranty. If they didn't care about their customers, they'd issue a TSB telling their dealers to send you home. I haven't seen one....
I actually did get that TSB from my dealer that they will not fix the second top until Chevy gets a complete fix in. My Chevy rep asked my dealer what they were doing to fix my top. He said nothing cause there is no fix. So I guess you were right in a roundabout way. Dealers should not be fixing something there is not a fix for yet.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #68
spikess581

Drives: IOM2SSconvertible,64 malibu,04fxdwg
BINGO I have to take my car back tomorrow so the dealer can look at the 3rd broken 5th bow in a month. He don't have a clue what to do. Not their fault just no support from chevy. Everybody is so damned concerned about the carbon fiber on the ugly ass hood of the ZL1. Wait till they start showing up at dealers demanding a top fix. Will we then have to get in line behind them?
spikess581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #69
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
Spike start your paperwork to get a new car. 3rd time is not good on a new car.
http://www.bbb.org/us/auto-line-lemon-law/
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #70
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikess581 View Post
BINGO I have to take my car back tomorrow so the dealer can look at the 3rd broken 5th bow in a month. He don't have a clue what to do. Not their fault just no support from chevy. Everybody is so damned concerned about the carbon fiber on the ugly ass hood of the ZL1. Wait till they start showing up at dealers demanding a top fix. Will we then have to get in line behind them?