Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #57
Stew

Drives: 92 Luminadead/01 Dakota/97 F150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Disagree. Skidpad #'s don't equate to street performance or ride quality. The SRA doesn't handle bumps well, or comfortably. The IRS in the Camaro does.

It's still SRA for the quarter mile, IRS for everything else.
I can't speak for the 11, but the 10 Mustang GT I drove rode pretty well over bumps, wuite comparable to the Camaro LT I drove. That said 99% of people are not going to do anything to really tell the difference. In any case who cares as long as everybody gets twhat they like, in this test the only wrong answer is CAMRY LOL.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:52 PM   #58
Americanmuscle11

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
I disagree. When you look at what you have to spend in options to get a mustang to perform at the level of a 1SS the camaro is a much better deal. Want the stang to be as fast gotta have the 3.73s. Wanna be able to stop? Gotta order the Brembos. A base GT is $30,495 a 1SS is $31,795. The GT's brembo option is $1695 which raises it's price to $32,190. On top of that if you want to swap out the standard 3.31's with the 3.55's or more likely the 3.73's it's another $395. Which brings it up to $32,585. Even then the Camaro and Mustang are neck and neck in the 1/4 mile. So if your talking getting into a V8 then sure you can get a stang cheaper but as for more bang for you buck the Camaro wins.
This entire story is NOT true. A 2011 Mustang GT will outperform any 1SS or 2SS regardless of if it's a base model or loaded. No you don't need 3:73's for the Mustang GT to be competitive with the 1SS. Some of the fastest Mustangs GT's are running 3:31's. The Mustang GT will actually stop very well without the Brembos. Neck and Neck? The 2011 Mustang GT auto is NOT neck and neck with an 2011 Camaro SS auto. Infact the mustang will walk one pretty bad. A manual 2011 Mustang GT and a manual Camaro with good drivers will be closer, but the Mustang will edge the Camaro out.
The Camaro doesn't offer anymore bang for the buck for the price you pay over the Mustang. It's not faster, it doesn't handle as good and overall it just doesn't perform as well. Ford has a lot more factory options for the Mustang and Mustang GT but leaves it up to the customer to build what they truly want. The Camaro has some factory backed upgrades but it's more or less that you either buy a 1SS or 2SS.
Americanmuscle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #59
bigted83
They call me captain slow

Drives: 2010 camaro lt
who cares if u drive a camaro, mustang or challenger. It's the fact that we are all car guys and girls. So just drive them and enjoy them
bigted83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #60
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigted83 View Post
who cares if u drive a camaro, mustang or challenger. It's the fact that we are all car guys and girls. So just drive them and enjoy them
Bingo.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #61
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
I'm not gonna buy that. Most of the reviews knock the mustang in ride quality.

Perfomance nod goes to the 5.0 but ride quality is sacrificed.

But I agree, for most of us that is not a real big deal. we knowingly choose performance over comfort.

Chevy seems to be trying to bring in a bigger market by going with a little more comfortable car.... We'll see if it works or not, now that the two cars are so close in performance.
I agree with you on the comfort of the ride, IRS vs. SRA.

But on the downside of making a Camaro to appeal to a bigger market, they sacrificed function over form when it came to the styling. While it looks great from the outside, a lot of regular people (read: not car nuts like us), are going to be turned off by the lack of visibility from the inside.

Now, if the Camaro improves on this in the next generation, and the Mustang adopts an IRS, both of which I expect to see, both cars would be near perfect.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #62
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
I know for a fact visibility was one of the things that turned my fiance off from the Camaro, followed quickly by the sloppy shifter, bad clutch (either slip or dump) and poor ergonomics
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #63
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Please please please Ford stick with the SRA in the stang.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #64
Gangster
Camaro Crazy

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS IBM/Grey M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
I disagree. When you look at what you have to spend in options to get a mustang to perform at the level of a 1SS the camaro is a much better deal. Want the stang to be as fast gotta have the 3.73s. Wanna be able to stop? Gotta order the Brembos. A base GT is $30,495 a 1SS is $31,795. The GT's brembo option is $1695 which raises it's price to $32,190. On top of that if you want to swap out the standard 3.31's with the 3.55's or more likely the 3.73's it's another $395. Which brings it up to $32,585. Even then the Camaro and Mustang are neck and neck in the 1/4 mile. So if your talking getting into a V8 then sure you can get a stang cheaper but as for more bang for you buck the Camaro wins.
I agree, I work in a ford dealer and after pricing both and they were the same I said, "If im gonna spend 32k im gonna get a camaro" Its just a much cooler car for the money. I had a 2006 mustang and they havent changed that much so to me it was the same car with a little more hp and alot more money, the gen 5 to me is a piece of history that we are all lucky enough to be a part of. You used to be able to buy a mustang for 5k less than a camaro, then it was something to think about but for the same money ill take the camaro. Believe me, it would have been a ton easier to buy a mustang from my job and service it there too but to me for the same money there was just no decision to make.
Gangster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #65
Bob Cosby

Drives: 2010 Vette
Not sure when a Mustang's MSRP was ANYWHERE NEAR $5k less than a comparable Camaro. But I must admit, my Mustang days only go back to ~1982, so perhaps it was in the 1st or 2nd Gen era?
Bob Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #66
jrc1122

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT
Want to drive the 5.0 now .
jrc1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #67
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cosby View Post
Not sure when a Mustang's MSRP was ANYWHERE NEAR $5k less than a comparable Camaro. But I must admit, my Mustang days only go back to ~1982, so perhaps it was in the 1st or 2nd Gen era?
I have been following stangs since about 96 and I never saw a 5k difference in price either.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #68
MIT'13

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 1LT / RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangster View Post
I agree, I work in a ford dealer and after pricing both and they were the same I said, "If im gonna spend 32k im gonna get a camaro" Its just a much cooler car for the money. I had a 2006 mustang and they havent changed that much so to me it was the same car with a little more hp and alot more money, the gen 5 to me is a piece of history that we are all lucky enough to be a part of. You used to be able to buy a mustang for 5k less than a camaro, then it was something to think about but for the same money ill take the camaro. Believe me, it would have been a ton easier to buy a mustang from my job and service it there too but to me for the same money there was just no decision to make.
You work at a Ford dealership yet you bought a Chevy?
Sir, I salute you!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #69

Drives: 2011 5.0L GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangster View Post

Comparing your 06 Mustang to a 2011 is not a very close comparison. not even close.And if to you approx. 100 more horsepower is "a little" then wow .. I have serious doubts you work at a Ford dealership. Either that or you don't know very much about the products you're selling..

28 " Buy a hybrid, I need your gas.."
28. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #70
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
Please please please Ford stick with the SRA in the stang.
I know there a some hard core drag guys that would like to see this, but I think the general public would rather see an IRS. You just can't match the ride quality, especially on rough roads, which are the majority of roads in this country.

How many new cars these days have a SRA? Now if Ford really wanted to be in class of one, they could offer a "drag pack" option on the next gen car with a SRA. Then everyone would be satisfied. I doubt it will happen, but it's not that far of stretch.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote