Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #57
ZL1Dave

Drives: 2012 ZL-1 #1442
I ordered the auto because thats what I prefer but I get the whole manual arguement. I just think people should reserve their judgement on this paticular auto trans in these cars unless they have actually driven it or at least experienced it as a passenger. I havent heard or read one negitive comment on them and have only seen reviews of how impressive it is.
ZL1Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #58
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Dave View Post
I ordered the auto because thats what I prefer but I get the whole manual arguement. I just think people should reserve their judgement on this paticular auto trans in these cars unless they have actually driven it or at least experienced it as a passenger. I havent heard or read one negitive comment on them and have only seen reviews of how impressive it is.
These threads never have any resolution. I personally prefer manual and it's what I like and even in traffic it doesn't bother me. For those that prefer auto I understand as well. Get what you like and what makes you happy. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:01 PM   #59
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
Wow so much disinformation in this thread. Most of the high dollar paddle shifted trans are just manuals that a computer controled clutch etc....
Old 05-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #60
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Hehe, I love the arguments along the lines of "real men get a stick" , "anyone with an auto just cant drive a stick" or "sports cars shouldnt be auto". Such closed minds, and the world is a darker place for it.....They have made advances since the '80's ya know.

Ive had alot of sticks through my life, but my last two vehicles have been auto and Ill never go back. Not being one of the top 1% of racers (and flashing the stats of the top 50 or whatever number of drivers you pull, thats what your baseing the decision on, the top 1%) I see almost no difference between the sticks and autos Ive had when doing a drag time wise. Havent been in many road races though so cant really say for sure, but I imagine the paddles would do just fine there as well.

I dont see why it seems so many auto drivers feel they need to defend thier choice with reasons, medical or traffic or whatever, for not getting a manual, if you get two average drivers, one on Auto and one on Manual on one of these new cars, Ide be willing to bet the times would be almost the same either way.

As stated numerous times, it truly comes down to your preference more than anything.......I dont see trying to prove one as better than the other as productive or is it a provable fact either way in the end.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #61
illiceman

Drives: 2012 ZL 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
Hehe, I love the arguments along the lines of "real men get a stick" , "anyone with an auto just cant drive a stick" or "sports cars shouldnt be auto". Such closed minds, and the world is a darker place for it.....They have made advances since the '80's ya know.

Ive had alot of sticks through my life, but my last two vehicles have been auto and Ill never go back. Not being one of the top 1% of racers (and flashing the stats of the top 50 or whatever number of drivers you pull, thats what your baseing the decision on, the top 1%) I see almost no difference between the sticks and autos Ive had when doing a drag time wise. Havent been in many road races though so cant really say for sure, but I imagine the paddles would do just fine there as well.

I dont see why it seems so many auto drivers feel they need to defend thier choice with reasons, medical or traffic or whatever, for not getting a manual, if you get two average drivers, one on Auto and one on Manual on one of these new cars, Ide be willing to bet the times would be almost the same either way.

As stated numerous times, it truly comes down to your preference more than anything.......I dont see trying to prove one as better than the other as productive or is it a provable fact either way in the end.
illiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:47 PM   #62
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
It's not just the folks that judge, but also the people that take those judgements personally that keep threads like this alive.

Someday, it will be manual folks "defending" their right/choice to drive stick...tables always seem to turn with things like these.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:11 PM   #63
OLD_GOAT
2016 Challenger Hellcat

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiceman View Post
Maybe you are drinking.
Grow up.

One poster here mentioned arthritis and an internet buddy of mine bought an auto G8 GXP because he was pushing 70 and had medical problems.

Not all of us are young and bulletproof.
2009 Corvette Coupe.....2005 Pontiac GTO
1995 Camaro.....1989 Mustang GT
1987 Mustang GT.....1985 Camaro
1976 455 Trans-Am.....1973 Mustang Mach 1
OLD_GOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #64
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecamaro2011 View Post
Why would you want to have a sports car automatic?
Sales volume. That's how you help Camaro sales stay well ahead of Mustang. They offer the new GT500 and Boss in stick only, which is why my wife would choose a Camaro. Smart marketing. Personally I'd choose the manual.

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #65
Fenderaddict2
Opinionated bugger!

Drives: Boss 302, Mazda 2, Praga & Intrepid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey123456 View Post
Get whatever you like! I personally have had an automatic SS, and now have a manual ZL1. There is no way I will ever go back to an automatic, unless it is an automated manual. For those of you that do not know the Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Bugattis, Porsches, and GTRs of the world are all automated manuals. Most are dual clutch. There is a HUGE difference between an automated manual and the automatic found in the ZL1. I have driven and driven in ferraris, lamborghinis, M3's, and I can say those transmissions are on a different level. They are telepathic in shift response, and they shift faster than you can blink. If you want instant response, and the excitement of a sports car, in a ZL1, get the manual. Don't think the automatic it is the same transmission as the PDK found in a porsche or dual clutch found in the 458, GTR, RS5, or M3. Just my two cents.
Paddle shifters or not, I believe this cars are manuals, no?

Follow me on forums everywhere as Fenderaddict2 or my kid on the track and Twitter @fastmyles
Fenderaddict2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #66
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
Drag racing?

The 1LE is stick only.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #67
Shooting Star

Drives: Chevrolets, GMC's, Buicks
Like they have always said, "with an automatic, you will never miss a shift". I wonder, however, a few years down the road when it's time to upgrade-which one will have the better resale value-the free manual or the extra cost auto?
Shooting Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #68
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Special Edition
My 2SS is an automatic and I'll tell you why I went that way. Almost 7 yrs ago I lost my leg in a horrific motorcycle crash in which my leg was severed at the scene, Don't put people down for driving an automatic believe me I wish I could still drive stick but unfortuanatly I cannot. I'm glad I they made an auto in the SS as well as the ZL1, that way we can all feel good about this awesome piece of machinery.
Kinetic Kev HWSE 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #69
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally Ho View Post
This discussion runs rampant on the Corvette Forum as well. For me the answer for an auto is I plan to use this car as a DD. My commute to work has 12 traffic lights and 5 stop signs all within a 9 mile one way trip. The max speed limit on this commute is 45mph. It doesn't make sense to row through gears when I don't have to.

All other uses will be mostly interstate and there's not much of a reason to shift there unless you're constantly exiting and re-entering. I have no plans to autocross or drag race this car.

My Vette is an auto for the reasons above and with 540rwhp, I'm OK with it.
i agree with you when i'm in traffic lots of stop&go; auto is the norm. clutch in clutch out ,all the time it gets to you.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #70
maroman1138

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
C'mon people! My LS3 is a DD. Whats the real reason you guys pick autos? Be honest. It's cause you can't drive a manual! Be honest dammit. Manual IS manly! Even has man in the word! Stop using the auto is quicker excuse. We all know it's not. Consistent times yes but not quicker. I'm tired of of reading these debates and it's time to get nasty about it! Someone tell the godda$: truth for once.
2011 1SS/RS LS3 - Stage II Ported Heads, Stage II Comp Cam, Ported T.B., Hurst Shifter - 0BX LT Headers - CAT delete, Pype Bomb Axle-Back Exhaust - Muffler delete - 4.5 Resonated tips, Spectre CAI, - 480 RWHP 442 TRQ. Dyno tuned by ARD.
maroman1138 is offline   Reply With Quote