Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 09-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #57
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by leviticus88 View Post
Looks Great!

It's cool that they are using a V8/SS car but that seems a little wasteful!
An LS auto V6 would do just fine and look "nearly" the same and cost $1,000's less and GET BETTER MILEAGE and it's still got more power than the last generation V8 LT1's that the police used as interceptors! Just a thought...

+1

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #58
m1tankr

Drives: '69 Camaro RS LM-1
Quote:
Looks Great!

It's cool that they are using a V8/SS car but that seems a little wasteful!
An LS auto V6 would do just fine and look "nearly" the same and cost $1,000's less and GET BETTER MILEAGE and it's still got more power than the last generation V8 LT1's that the police used as interceptors! Just a thought...
True, but the brakes, suspension, & drivetrain are heavier duty on the SS. These are pieces you need. You can usually save the money in repair costs by getting the better brakes & suspension. The Crown Vics normally go thru brakes every 10k, some at 5k if used for a lot of traffic. It was worse when the brakes were terrible. Plus, as a traffic car, you usually want the best performance for getting up to speed to catch up to violators from a stop and for pursuits. Try pulling out into freeway traffic w/no on ramp about 10-20 times a day and you quickly come to appreciate better acceleration. Also, nothing keeps a pursuit going like somebody being able to pull away from the squad on every straight. We just had a C6 convertible flee from us last week. He totaled it out as he got over confident, was drunk, and we knew the area better, but it was frustrating watching it just walk away on every straight section. They got a guy last week at a little over 100, he said he decided not to try and just keep going as he saw it was a Charger when he went by.

It'll be interesting to see if they come up w/a police package. A lot of highway patrol depts used the Mustangs. They used to have police package f-bods. Plus nothing like the torture testing you get from a patrol car to improve the breed.
m1tankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #59
leviticus88
Camaro Owner Soon!

Drives: Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC S2 GMPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tankr View Post
True, but the brakes, suspension, & drivetrain are heavier duty on the SS. These are pieces you need. You can usually save the money in repair costs by getting the better brakes & suspension. The Crown Vics normally go thru brakes every 10k, some at 5k if used for a lot of traffic. It was worse when the brakes were terrible. Plus, as a traffic car, you usually want the best performance for getting up to speed to catch up to violators from a stop and for pursuits. Try pulling out into freeway traffic w/no on ramp about 10-20 times a day and you quickly come to appreciate better acceleration. Also, nothing keeps a pursuit going like somebody being able to pull away from the squad on every straight. We just had a C6 convertible flee from us last week. He totaled it out as he got over confident, was drunk, and we knew the area better, but it was frustrating watching it just walk away on every straight section. They got a guy last week at a little over 100, he said he decided not to try and just keep going as he saw it was a Charger when he went by.

It'll be interesting to see if they come up w/a police package. A lot of highway patrol depts used the Mustangs. They used to have police package f-bods. Plus nothing like the torture testing you get from a patrol car to improve the breed.
I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree...

If your going through brakes every 5-10k miles than the officer needs to learn how to drive and be more gentle on my (tax payer's vehicle).
Every 20-25k for brakes on a police vehicle should be plenty and the V6 brakes are way beyond anything a crown vic, the last gen camaro and most police vehicles have.
You think Brembos are cheap to service?
Plus any suspension mods (Stronger springs) or "better" brakes that "might" be needed on an undercover car like this, that wont be used for much more than catching speeders, will still be cheaper than the upgrade from an LS V6 to an SS1 V8 any day. LS V6's are way cheap for the amount of car you get!!!
I agree with acceleration being very imprtant but 305hp is PLENTY for that!How much more could you use without it all just being another waste?
Use the RADIO to out run the rare fast car thats running from you if your 305hp 13 second car isn't enough!!!

I respect police a great deal and think this car is really cool!
I am the first to say police need better equipment especially bigger guns and better armor! But an SS V8 camaro in every department is just not a neccesity in this economy. An LS V6 will be just fine. period.

And respectfully, if someone trys to pull me or my family over at night in a car that I don't believe is a REAL cop car then I'm not stopping either! And it's my right to do so! I'll flip on the hazard lights, call 911 and drive to the nearest police station or public area at around 20 MPH. And If that means I go to jail, the officer and the station can take it up with my lawyer because at least my family didn't die by a road side fake pull over killing!!!
Cops can't just do as they please refering to the "Enjoy your prison time" remark above... I have the right to feel secure and protect my own.

Last edited by leviticus88; 09-08-2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Dumb cops who think they can take my rights!!! Thats BS!
leviticus88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 PM   #60
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
I guess they figured if they couldn't beat us, they would join us. Bad thing is if they have to make an arrest, another squad car will have to be called in to take the "suspect" down to the station. They have been doing this for years. They use all kinds of sports cars for police cars. Then there is always the trusty helicopter and radio.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #61
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
Hey, if I am to be pulled over, I'd much rather be pulled over by that than your typical cruiser.

Camaros have been used with the Texas DPS for a long time (and other Law Enforcement units, I am sure).

It's only fitting that the 5th Gen continues the saga.

Wasteful? I'd like to see someone in the know compare the modest costs on this thing than your typical cruiser.

My battery died the other day and the LEO was kind enough to explain to me that he would love to try to jump start my car, but city regs prohibited it due to all the expensive electrical mods in the vehicle. He was truly regretful. I congratulated him for his efforts. He smiled and said "if you can't get it worked out, be sure to call us forsome help." That was extremely cool, and I am very respectful and grateful to that man. Anyway......

The SS Camaro is ready out of the box (a V6 would be a waste of time), with just some cool lighting and other mods to make it compliant.

I'd bet the cost was about 1/3 or 1/2 of totally modifying the typical cruiser with bumper bars, laptops, and who knows what else.

Can anyone put real dollar figures into this? How much does a new cruiser cost to the agency? How much more $$$ in mods are spent on it?

I think people would be surprised.

PS - I think it looks really cool, also! (although Jalops' fully-outfitted bad azz cruizer does look better. I'd pull over before the LEO ever "lit me up" if I saw that thing coming) :-)

Last edited by 2KZ28_For_Now; 09-08-2009 at 11:30 PM.
2KZ28_For_Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #62
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Don't want to be pulled over by that thing or maybe I do?
Old 09-09-2009, 01:17 AM   #63
delius
David Hayter

Drives: F-body
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This sucks...Plus...its kinda stupid...The Camaro sticks out way to much.

Reason for an unmarked car is....TO BLEND IN.

Government spending money on cars when they already have the Charger Boat...err Car.

Fail on Government spending.

I want my camaro....NOOOOOOOOOOW!!! /turn yellow
delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:26 AM   #64
delius
David Hayter

Drives: F-body
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KZ28_For_Now View Post
Hey, if I am to be pulled over, I'd much rather be pulled over by that than your typical cruiser.

Camaros have been used with the Texas DPS for a long time (and other Law Enforcement units, I am sure).

Wasteful? I'd like to see someone in the know compare the modest costs on this thing than your typical cruiser.

My battery died the other day and the LEO was kind enough to explain to me that he would love to try to jump start my car, but city regs prohibited it due to all the expensive electrical mods in the vehicle. He was truly regretful. I congratulated him for his efforts. He smiled and said "if you can't get it worked out, be sure to call us forsome help." That was extremely cool, and I am very respectful and grateful to that man. Anyway......

The SS Camaro is ready out of the box (a V6 would be a waste of time), with just some cool lighting and other mods to make it compliant.

I'd bet the cost was about 1/3 or 1/2 of totally modifying the typical cruiser with bumper bars, laptops, and who knows what else.

Can anyone put real dollar figures into this? How much does a new cruiser cost to the agency? How much more $$$ in mods are spent on it?

PS - I think it looks really cool, also! (although Jalops' fully-outfitted bad azz cruizer does look better. I'd pull over before the LEO ever "lit me up" if I saw that thing coming) :-)
The charger over here in Greensboro, NC costs 43k ANNUALLY to maintain. The Chargers are pretty much outta the box as well.

Also...There is already a car being made to eventually replace all cars...Called the E7

http://www.carbonmotors.com/

The car runs on Diesel...Made specifically for police...which means that the car makes thier job easier and safer...Such as puttin a suspect into the car and takin him out...Crash ratings.

And again...they come equipped with everything they need.

Also they are designed for 250k lifespan...Which most of the police cruisers nowadays never hit 200k w/o going to the auction

I want my camaro....NOOOOOOOOOOW!!! /turn yellow
delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:23 AM   #65
jerseymike68
Account Suspended

Drives: black
Thanks for these information
jerseymike68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #66
mcrizz

Drives: 2010 2ss w/rs&77 honda civc
now who was the terd with the idea to go and ruin such a great car with some disgace like police lights. Its terrible i tell you
mcrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #67
m1tankr

Quote:
I'm sorry but I respectfully disagree...

If your going through brakes every 5-10k miles than the officer needs to learn how to drive and be more gentle on my (tax payer's vehicle).
Every 20-25k for brakes on a police vehicle should be plenty and the V6 brakes are way beyond anything a crown vic, the last gen camaro and most police vehicles have.
You think Brembos are cheap to service?
Plus any suspension mods (Stronger springs) or "better" brakes that "might" be needed on an undercover car like this, that wont be used for much more than catching speeders, will still be cheaper than the upgrade from an LS V6 to an SS1 V8 any day. LS V6's are way cheap for the amount of car you get!!!
I agree with acceleration being very imprtant but 305hp is PLENTY for that!How much more could you use without it all just being another waste?
Use the RADIO to out run the rare fast car thats running from you if your 305hp 13 second car isn't enough!!!

I respect police a great deal and think this car is really cool!
I am the first to say police need better equipment especially bigger guns and better armor! But an SS V8 camaro in every department is just not a neccesity in this economy. An LS V6 will be just fine. period.

And respectfully, if someone trys to pull me or my family over at night in a car that I don't believe is a REAL cop car then I'm not stopping either! And it's my right to do so! I'll flip on the hazard lights, call 911 and drive to the nearest police station or public area at around 20 MPH. And If that means I go to jail, the officer and the station can take it up with my lawyer because at least my family didn't die by a road side fake pull over killing!!!
Cops can't just do as they please refering to the "Enjoy your prison time" remark above... I have the right to feel secure and protect my own.
No problem on the disagreement. It's all good.

Actually, once the lights go on, you don't have the right to keep going anymore than you have the right to walk away once you are told to stop by an officer. If you are really concerned for your safety, pull over, call on the cell phone & just roll your window part way down and hand out your paperwork & look to see if it's a cop. The prison time thing was a joke, hence the smiley face.

5-10k for pads & rotors is for severe use (ie dedicated traffic car or a evening car). I don't think any of our squads ever make more than 20k. Believe me, that includes the very gently driven squads. Heck, most of our cars take 1 1/2 yrs to get to 90k miles & are worn out (hopefully you can get 3-4k at auction). The last thing you (or the person calling 911) are thinking about when trying to get a 5000 lb squad (don't forget the 500-1000lbs of equipment/safety gear) 5 miles thru heavy traffic going lights/sirens to a dying /injured person, braking/accelerating around the many cars that are doing all sorts of goofy things in reaction to the squad interrupting their cell phone call, is conserving your brakes. In civilian terms, for our city/traffic/road conditions, every emergency call would be equivalent to running an autocross with random pedestrians/cars/ popping out from behind hidden barricades, without the ability to anticipate your braking/acceleration. For us, each squad goes thru about 5 of these a day. I doubt you'd find a single racer here that would think that they could get stock pads/rotors to go 20-25k (with no maintenance) out of brakes running 4-5 auto-crosses every couple of hundred miles.

The V8 drivetrain will handle more abuse without breaking, and handle & brake better. The pads & rotors are going to be similar in price for replacement parts, whether they are squeezed by Brembos or standard calipers. You'd also lose all the money you saved many times over from the lawsuit that followed a crash from your faded brakes. I can see 1 of the 1st questions in the deposition. "Isn't it true that for a mere $5000 you could have gotten a patrol car w/safer brakes & suspension & kept my client from being injured?" You'd never modify the factory suspension, brakes, engine on a squad as you'd seriously expose yourself to liability & all of the red tape on getting suppliers that will certify & test the equipment to OEM standards. Then you have all the red tape on getting bids & which parts to use. With factory stuff, you can hide behind their certifications and testing. It's easier to justify the V8 in the SS as all squads have them. Most equipment & policies used by law enforcement is based on liability issues rather than how well it works.

Add 500-1000lbs of safety gear, lights, computers, radios, push bumpers, roll cages, rescue equipment, to your V6 Camaro, & go run a few autocrosses & you're gonna have some issues. You'll have less with the SS drivetrain (otherwise you'd see every racer here going to the lighter V6 components). It's also easier to justify as the old police Camaro's were all V-8's. No one wants to step back in performance. I'd doubt you'd find many takers on debating the new V6 v the LS-1 f-bods. The V6, w/extra weight added on, in stock condition, doesn't compare well for daily squad duties vs to V8 torque.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:53 PM   #68
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribone View Post
What a disgrace to the Camaro community and waste of our tax dollars! Now people that want to check out our cars will be watching out for a cop too.
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #69
MEPoPo

Drives: 2003 Chevy Avalanche Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KZ28_For_Now View Post

As far as dollar figures go a lot of people are under the impression that government agencies pay MSRP, here is a little input:

Our department just purchased a 2009 Ford Police Interceptor, black and white, spot lights, and a few other options for a government price of $24,090. The window sticker is $28000 and change. Our Dodge Charger Police Package V6 that we got last year was $23,000 and change, the V8 was about $1400 more. I haven't had much dealing with Chevrolet over the past few years as far as government pricing because we will not use front wheel drive cars. But if Chevy's government fleet pricing isnt a substantial savings over MSRP, than an Camaro SS is quite a more expensive.

As far as mods go, to include a lightbar, radio etc. you are looking at another $5000 give or take, not counting a mobile data terminal. Lol this is what I did all day was up-fit a new cruiser.

I think the Camaro has a place in today's law enforcement and would be interested to see in Chevrolet will do a police package. But like anything else there are the disadvantages to the Camaro being a police car and everyone has an opinion. I've patrolled in a Camaro and I liked it, other than the lack of room and the difficulty getting in and out repeatedly but you adjust.

The rumor is still going around that the G8 is going to become a Caprice and Chevy will have a rear wheel drive police cruiser again. Time will tell.
MEPoPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #70
m1tankr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPoPo View Post

The rumor is still going around that the G8 is going to become a Caprice and Chevy will have a rear wheel drive police cruiser again. Time will tell.
The G8 would make a sweet cop car.