Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #57
Class1E

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik@Torq View Post
I took my 2010 SS out to the road course the 2nd day I had the car. It handled great for a factory car, in that price range I might add. Completely stock I was lapping Homestead at low to mid 1.40's. For a comparison my buddy with a supercharged M3, full cage, gutted interior etc and R-compounds was only 3 sec ahead of me.

But when hitting the track HARD as I was I did notice the factory built in understeer. They always dial understeer in because it's considered safe for the average driver on the street.

Come Pfadt Swaybars, Pfadt springs and an alignment and now my car out handles stock Corvettes, BMW's and Porsche's. And I am still on street tires! I do have more power, but still all motor and no F/I.

Here are two incar vids of mine, one from Homestead and one from Palm Beach International Raceway!

Torq 2010 Camaro SS @ Palm Beach Intl Raceway

Torq 2010 Camaro SS @ Homestead Miami Speedway
Thanks! That's what I love about this place...everyone helps everyone else out.
Old 01-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #58
El-Diablo

Drives: CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ART-2008 View Post
I also drive a Lotus Elise with the Sport (track) package. It is arguably one of the best handling cars on the planet. I have taken the Lotus to several track days. It will turn circles around the Camaro, but also rides like the shocks are welded in place!

99% of the time I would much sooner be in the Camaro. I read several road tests critical of the Camaro's handling before I got mine, and feared it would handle like a parade float. I think Chevrolet hit the perfect "sweet spot" in handling between performance and comfort for 95% of the people who buy this car.

Slalom times really don't mean crap when discussing the Camaro, slalom times ALWAYS punish a wider car like the Camaro. I agree with you that skidpad numbers are very relevant.
I agree they hit the sweet spot, it is a pleasant car to haul ass in. I'm just not going to let someone tell a guy that the camaro doesnt have to sweat evos and m3s
Also the problem with going by amateur track videos is you're comparing more driver ability. The last track event I was at I watched a guy in a Honda fit passing nearly every one.
El-Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #59
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Diablo View Post
Also the problem with going by amateur track videos is you're comparing more driver ability. The last track event I was at I watched a guy in a Honda fit passing nearly every one.
What, you calling me an amateur?

Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 PM   #60
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Drives: 2SS RS M6 06 Jetta TDI 17 Civic EXL
Thumbs up I'm very happy

Very happy with the handling
Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:19 PM   #61
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Aqua Blue LS3 Gauge PKG
Camaro SS Handling

From my perspective it handles superbly. I have taken on and off ramps that are marked 25 or 30 mph at over 60 mph with very little effort to hug the inside. I have even "pushed it" to see if I could get it to break loose a little. I fould it somewhat difficult, it likes to be pushed, the more I stepped on it, it seemed like it squatted and dug in more. One time I pushed it "to Hard" from a safety standpoint, and it started to drift some, I punched it a little more and the ass end came around and it was great. I let off and it straighted right out. (was in competive mode). I find the daily driving a little harsh from a comfort point of view, the suspension is firm and very responsive. You will feel the road. Which I kind of like anyway. Any others out there feel the same???? My camaro is a 1SS/RS 6 speed manual. Aqua Blue. And get this The last four numbers of the VIN are "1969" that is just "AWESOME" as I had owned a 69 many years ago. (Yea Yea I got married) should have kept the car me thinks.
Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 PM   #62
mikel441

Drives: 2014 Sonic, 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Diablo View Post
I think you need to step back and be aware of other cars potentials as to not sound like a nutswinging camaro owner. Any new bmw, even old M3s, 370Z's, EVO's especially will eat your Camaro in turns. Even the the GT with a solid rear axle is out handling the Camaro in stock form and out braking it. I owned a 99 Cobra and thought it handled better than the new camaro, sure enough I looked it up, even a car 10 years older had a better slalom and skipad numbers than the ss.
Tell that to the guy in the Beamer who ate my dust a few months ago. Outhandled and outran him in tight curves near the coast. Also driving skills play into this equation as well (so much for the other car's potential). Every Mustang I've challenged have peed their pants and wont run (maybe just haven't found a willing subject yet). I don't really care about car magazine reviews. Slalom and skid pad number mean squat in the REAL world. And WTF constitutes a "nutswinging Camaro owner"?
Old 01-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #63
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Right on Mikel441. You must be able to control what you drive. Anyone can make a car go fast if it has the power to do it. It takes a driver that knows how to handle it to make it do what it capable of doing.!!! It's kind of like flying the shuttle. It sure takes off fast, and goes really fast, but landing it is the real skill.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #64
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

So!!! Does Nutswinging Camaro driver mean I have bigger Balls than the BMW drivers????? FTR What does BMW stand for. "Bitch<Moan<Whine> of course!!!!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 PM   #65
mikel441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
Right on Mikel441. You must be able to control what you drive. Anyone can make a car go fast if it has the power to do it. It takes a driver that knows how to handle it to make it do what it capable of doing.!!! It's kind of like flying the shuttle. It sure takes off fast, and goes really fast, but landing it is the real skill.
And if I can't outdrive em my wife can!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #66
mikel441

Quote:
So!!! Does Nutswinging Camaro driver mean I have bigger Balls than the BMW drivers????? FTR What does BMW stand for. "Bitch<Moan<Whine> of course!!!!

Big Money Wasted!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #67
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

That too!!
Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #68
B.Buster

Drives: 2010 AquaBlue 2SS/RS
BMW-Big Money Wasted
B.Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #69
Erik@Torq

Drives: '10 SS + '04 Z16 Z06 S/C
Send a message via MSN to Erik@Torq
Quote:
I started racing at 10 (go-carts) and the first thing my mentor taught me was that "fast cars drag-race, fast drivers road-race"
Erik@Torq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #70
B.Buster

Drives: 2010 AquaBlue 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel441 View Post
Big Money Wasted!
Beat me to it
B.Buster is offline   Reply With Quote