Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 06-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #57
cactuseater

Drives: .
My snake oil warranty, the much acclaimed General Motors Protection Plan Major Guard. Worthless, actually. Dealer failure on this one. We bought this so-called GM Certified nightmare in on January 12, 2012.

My GMPP Major Guard on my coupe started the day I bought it, and expires 7 years after or 80,000. The convertible warranty was written wrong, expires only 1 year after the 3/36 GM new car warranty. So, in essence, it's $1500 for a one year warranty - that also does not cover the top - which was discussed at length in the finance office when it came to the warranty.

I got hosed, yes, but look at the page where it states "not covered" -- I was told the top was covered, again, dealer failure. I'm visiting that tomorrow when I go in to pick up the convertible (had to drain the lake in the back). Cancellation of the warranty unless it can be changed to show the correct terms, a visit to the General Manager's office, and hopefully some satisfaction.

Last edited by cactuseater; 09-28-2012 at 03:25 AM.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #58
cactuseater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
GM lost my business. I have a son turning 16 soon. I was going to get my wife a new Sonic or Spark since she doesn't really need anything except good gas mileage. Not now with the issues I had with my last 2012 Camaro Vert. Plus, I gave GM a chance to make it right with my new 2nd Camaro. So far 1900 miles, top down 27 times, and only 1 trip to the dealer for a minor adjustment.
My 19 year old in college had a Cruze and it was a DOG. Thankfully, it was totaled in a flash flood, that one is gone. In the market for a replacement, and Chevy lost my business almost instantly. I bought a used Toyota Solara SLE that is balls to the wall a better vehicle than anything they had to offer.

They tried to sell us a few beaten to death used cars there as well, junk, all of them in the back bullpen. And they wanted an alarming amount of money for them, saying the market was such that people would pay cash for them! hahaha, no shit.

The Solara is built like a tank - I know the car well, and dry underneath, all records, great car for under 10K. Reminds me of my old Lexus SC400 I used to drive, just with the V6 rather than the V8 I had. Damn. Cheaper to insure, less maintenance, and proven track record of longevity.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #59
Chuckster

Drives: 2012 2LT Convertible
Yes, I'm happy. It's got to be a vert!
Chuckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #60
cactuseater

You guys are right. Wrinkles that will go away after a few hours are acceptable and the nature of the beast. I've been around convertibles all my life. My dad owned a trim shop, and I gained the experience to install tops after working for him when I was a kid. My first top was the Cadillac "Scissors" top and it was a bitch, but it came out perfect.

Permanent pinch marks, holes, tears, lumps, leaks, and other shit is totally unacceptable. Especially when it is a recurring issue after several attempts to replace the canvas and in some cases the mechanism. Then there's the tops right on the dealer's lots, brand new cars, with the problem built in. (Last picture taken this week,on a 2012!) See pics...

Last edited by cactuseater; 09-28-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #61
SSTOKED

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
I'm in the process of the water leak repair and I have faith in GM fixing it eventually but not my dealer right now. It's been there two days and the jack wagons haven't even called me yet. Not too concerned since I'm having a urethane floor put in my garage and I needed the storage. But how can you not call to update a customer with a brand new $40K car? I won't totally judge Doyle Chevrolet in Webster, NY until this is over but overall....

I love my car and look forward to the day when I don't have to worry about water.

I have a college friend that I believe was or is a quality engineer/manager at the Camaro plant. I'm working it to get the scoop. No guarantee's. I'm sure they are told to keep their mouths shut with issues like this.
SSTOKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #62
cactuseater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTOKED View Post
I'm in the process of the water leak repair and I have faith in GM fixing it eventually but not my dealer right now. It's been there two days and the jack wagons haven't even called me yet. Not too concerned since I'm having a urethane floor put in my garage and I needed the storage. But how can you not call to update a customer with a brand new $40K car? I won't totally judge Doyle Chevrolet in Webster, NY until this is over but overall....

I love my car and look forward to the day when I don't have to worry about water.

I have a college friend that I believe was or is a quality engineer/manager at the Camaro plant. I'm working it to get the scoop. No guarantee's. I'm sure they are told to keep their mouths shut with issues like this.
You'll love the floor!!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #63
SSTOKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
You'll love the floor!!!!
Than as fishface would like to know, I will be !

I actually first though about installing the floor about three years ago with absolutely NO thought in my mind of buying my first muscle car. I'm doing it to fix a slight pitch problem (another water issue) instead of replacing the whole floor. My subconscious was steering me in the right direction (no pun intended) because what better way to store a car other than over a urethane floor?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #64
gkcfm95

Drives: 2011 camaro vert
took my vert in for the top recall. they found a different broken piece in the top mechanism & ordered new fabric. took them 2 weeks to get the parts & install. had my car back 2 days & the sides of the top by the back corners came off. now they're ordering more parts & new fabric. thinking of trading it in for a coupe. the warranty may cover these repairs now, but what about in 5 or 10 years? I'm not paying thousands of dollars for a manufacturer defect.
gkcfm95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #65
SSTOKED

I am happy about my car regardless of any issues! Or should I say SStoked!

Last edited by SSTOKED; 06-12-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: cuz I want to.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #66
Blitz

Drives: 2012 CTS-V Sedan
I'm very happy actually... it's either vert or no Camaro for me. I am also lucky enough that I do not ever drive it in the rain to worry about the leaks or really drive it much at all with the top up to see the holes wearing away the top.

I'll be getting around to letting them try the "fix" soon here...

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #67
SSTOKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I'm very happy actually... it's either vert or no Camaro for me. I am also lucky enough that I do not ever drive it in the rain to worry about the leaks or really drive it much at all with the top up to see the holes wearing away the top.

I'll be getting around to letting them try the "fix" soon here...
If you don't drive it in the rain then wait to have it fixed. Let us dopes work out the kinks for you. That way, you stay extra happy
Old 06-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #68
Robertf65

Drives: A vintage 'Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlar View Post
Bravo, Bullett. I am with your line of reasoning on these. I just have a hard time giving GM over $500 a month for a poorly designed, flawed product that was advertised to be a well working product that is free from defects.

Bottom line is, until GM openly admits that the tops are flawed in design and will make it right through a recall, buyback, or extended warranty... we are not going to stop complaning and hopefully educate others before they buy!

This is scary stuff you folks are going through with these expensive verts.

But it reminds me of GM's rich history of leaving customers to work out the company's engineering defects in the field after purchase. Just go to a GMC Acadia forum and read about all the problems with the leaking sunroofs on those vehicles.

Back in 1982, I bought a brand new Trans Am that amongst other problems, had a faulty cruise control system. I found this out one day on the Ventura Fwy when, after engaging the system, it began accelerating my car towards 100 mph -- no amount of braking or turning the system off had any effect and the car continued to accelerate. I finally had to jam the transmission into neutral and turn the engine off to get the system to disengage.

It took no fewer than 6 return trips the dealer, including several scary rides with techs trying duplicate the problem, and promise after promise that the CC had been fixed (only to have the uncontrolled acceleration problem return), before GM and Pontiac admitted the problem and that they had no technical fix for it. They disconnected my CC system for over a year before I got a letter asking me to bring the car in to have it restored. That car also went through two transmissions and several lock-up tourqe converters in a very short space of time. I found out later that GM had used the POS transmission from the Monza in the new TA's.

The only way to get forward progress with these problems, was to be an absolutely screaming bastard with the service managers and zone office people. One time, after a particularly loud week of angry exchanges between myself and the service manager, they called to tell me my 2nd transmission had been installed and the car was ready to go. I picked it up and got about 5 miles away on Sunset Blvd, when the drive shaft fell completely off the car at 45 MPH. This was late on a Friday afternoon and the dealer initially refused to do anything until the following Monday -- until I threatened to have the CHP take the car and conduct a willful tampering investigation. The dealer sent a tow truck out, took it back to the shop, pulled a drive shaft off a new car on their lot and installed it. We didn't get outta there until after 9pm. I've always felt the tech purposely mis-installed that drive shaft because I was such a PITA about the issues with that car.

No lemon-law back in those days, so I was screwed. When the warranty expired I sold the POS.

You folks with the vert issues -- I feel your pain. Stick to your guns until GM makes it right or gives you a new car. But watch your backs...
Robertf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #69
evlar

Drives: 2011 (L99) 2SS/RS vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertf65 View Post
This is scary stuff you folks are going through with these expensive verts.

But it reminds me of GM's rich history of leaving customers to work out the company's engineering defects in the field after purchase. Just go to a GMC Acadia forum and read about all the problems with the leaking sunroofs on those vehicles.

Back in 1982, I bought a brand new Trans Am that amongst other problems, had a faulty cruise control system. I found this out one day on the Ventura Fwy when, after engaging the system, it began accelerating my car towards 100 mph -- no amount of braking or turning the system off had any effect and the car continued to accelerate. I finally had to jam the transmission into neutral and turn the engine off to get the system to disengage.

It took no fewer than 6 return trips the dealer, including several scary rides with techs trying duplicate the problem, and promise after promise that the CC had been fixed (only to have the uncontrolled acceleration problem return), before GM and Pontiac admitted the problem and that they had no technical fix for it. They disconnected my CC system for over a year before I got a letter asking me to bring the car in to have it restored. That car also went through two transmissions and several lock-up tourqe converters in a very short space of time. I found out later that GM had used the POS transmission from the Monza in the new TA's.

The only way to get forward progress with these problems, was to be an absolutely screaming bastard with the service managers and zone office people. One time, after a particularly loud week of angry exchanges between myself and the service manager, they called to tell me my 2nd transmission had been installed and the car was ready to go. I picked it up and got about 5 miles away on Sunset Blvd, when the drive shaft fell completely off the car at 45 MPH. This was late on a Friday afternoon and the dealer initially refused to do anything until the following Monday -- until I threatened to have the CHP take the car and conduct a willful tampering investigation. The dealer sent a tow truck out, took it back to the shop, pulled a drive shaft off a new car on their lot and installed it. We didn't get outta there until after 9pm. I've always felt the tech purposely mis-installed that drive shaft because I was such a PITA about the issues with that car.

No lemon-law back in those days, so I was screwed. When the warranty expired I sold the POS.

You folks with the vert issues -- I feel your pain. Stick to your guns until GM makes it right or gives you a new car. But watch your backs...
Wow... thank you for the perspective, Robert.
evlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:56 PM   #70
cactuseater

Good read Robert, thanks for sharing....