Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #57
One Sick Camaro
That Cam though...

Drives: 11 Camaro 2SS 02 T/A WS6 15 SSV
my fogs been on for 2 years no problem you don't need aac led fogs.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #58
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtelvr View Post
OK, so I have placed my order at TRS for my headlight retrofit kit, and will be ordering my fog light kit in the next few days. Here is what was recommended to me, and what I bought.

Headlight kit:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

Fog light kit:

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...ducts_id=20832

This info is for those of you who have these same questions, and hopefully this will serve as a small guide for any newcomers, so they don't get blasted out as bad as some have.

Good call...at least on the headlights. That's what I basically the kit I used. I didn't do HID fogs so I don't have experience with them. Ultimately I ended up with AAC's 5202 LED in my fog lights. They ended up being the closest color match.

BTW: which color bulb did you order with your headlight kit? I used 5000k bulbs and I think they are the best color.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #59
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroBlue View Post
Then I was turned on to the HID projectors. WOW....major difference in light quality. Even with the lights on during the day they were much better for on coming traffic. However, I eventually got a harness that killed my DRL which I would recommend you doing.

I have that same problem. Where did you get your harness?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=drl

2SSRS can probably make you one as well.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 10-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #60
vtelvr

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Good call...at least on the headlights. That's what I basically the kit I used. I didn't do HID fogs so I don't have experience with them. Ultimately I ended up with AAC's 5202 LED in my fog lights. They ended up being the closest color match.

BTW: which color bulb did you order with your headlight kit? I used 5000k bulbs and I think they are the best color.

I went with the 5000K. I didn't want blue-ish lights, like I had previously. I don't think it looks good...sorry to those that have them or do. Just not my thing.

Have you had any problems with your AAC 5202?
vtelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #61
caverman

Quote:
I went with the 5000K. I didn't want blue-ish lights, like I had previously. I don't think it looks good...sorry to those that have them or do. Just not my thing.

Have you had any problems with your AAC 5202?
Not once I learned how to install them. Back when I first bought them there wasn't a DIY on how to get to fog lights. I did it the extreme hard way and ended up breaking the clips that hold them in. Since then I've learn how to install them and can do it in about 5 min a side without ever lifting the car off the ground.

As far as quality wise....no, no issues. They haven't brunt out or caused any kind of melting or anything.

They are not a perfect match to 5000k bulbs but they are about as close as you will get without going to an HID bulb.

You made the right choice with the 5000k lights and the Morimoto projectors are awesome. You're going to love them.

Let us know how it goes.
Build Journal
Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #62
caverman

vtelvr.....are you doing halos and a painting your housing black or are you keeping the chrome housing? I haven't seen anyone do a retrofit and keep the chrome housing like I did. I know it a personal preference and i'm in the minority of not really liking the halos.
Build Journal
Old 10-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #63
vtelvr

No halos. Not my thing. Not sure on the painting...going to see what I think when I get in there...
Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #64
caverman

Quote:
No halos. Not my thing. Not sure on the painting...going to see what I think when I get in there...
If you're not going to add halos then personally I would'nt paint them. Just leave them chrome like I did. I think they look great that way. I'm sure you've seen my thread so you can get an idea of what they look like.
Build Journal
Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #65
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Amazing you ask after saying you don't care what anyone says. That means you "think" you know everything. Which also means you quit learning anything.

You are just plain wrong about HIDs compared to projectors. To lump all of either into one group is wrong also. Not all lights are made the same in either projectors or straight HIDs.

Now, as I suggested, read up if you want to learn what has come along since you decided you knew everything.
Ok. It's a pretty simple concept. Glare kits blind oncoming traffic. A proper retrofit does not. It's pretty simple. I never said I knew everything but I know lighting. And people that think a glare kit is ok is retarded. If you can't afford a proper retrofit you can't afford HIDs. It's pretty simple.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #66
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by big papa View Post
True or not??? If you just stick in the HID kit but no projector, you are gonna be that guy that blasts white light all over the place blinding everyone?? No cut off?
Yes. No matter what, you will still be tossing nice bright HID light into the mirrors and eyes of people in front of you. That is the nature of halogen reflector bowls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Only if you get a cheap set that is not aligned correctly.
This is not true. Caverman posted pictures.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=16

AAC HID kit. This is the set that is supposedly "aligned correctly" set. Note the massive hot spot in the middle and the light bleed above the hot spot.That light bleed is where you get your glare. It gets worse the farther away you are from the headlight. Also note the obscenely narrow angle of the beam pattern. You get maybe 55 to 60* lit infront of you.

OEM RS headlights left, Morimoto projectors right. Either way, no light bleed above the cutoff and no hotspots. Pattern is broad and even.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #67
vtelvr

My wife is pretty awesome. I told her that TRS was in Atlanta, and just so it be, she was downtown today for some meetings. I get back home to a new set of Bi-xenon HID Projector lights(minus ballasts...on backorder til Friday). So, between now and the next couple of days, I need to figure out what to do with the fog lights. I know I want to stay with the 5000K temp...I am ok with a simple LED bulb change to acheive that look. AAC may be my top contender for those bulbs. Thanks to all who have actually helped, and not beat on me for my lack of knowledge on the subject.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #68
BudMC77

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
My wife is pretty awesome. I told her that TRS was in Atlanta, and just so it be, she was downtown today for some meetings. I get back home to a new set of Bi-xenon HID Projector lights(minus ballasts...on backorder til Friday). So, between now and the next couple of days, I need to figure out what to do with the fog lights. I know I want to stay with the 5000K temp...I am ok with a simple LED bulb change to acheive that look. AAC may be my top contender for those bulbs. Thanks to all who have actually helped, and not beat on me for my lack of knowledge on the subject.
My ballast are on back order too
BudMC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 PM   #69
vtelvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMC77 View Post
My ballast are on back order too
It happens, and as an Operations manager of a warehouse, I can understand how it happens. I know it is frustrating, but sometimes situations happen how they do, no matter what you try to do to prevent them.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #70
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
They should have ballasts. My order with 6 ballasts shipped yesterday.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote