Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #57
bandit4008

Drives: 2012 SS
You guys need to go back and and read all the posts. I've had this problem on my 13 2ss from day one. Dealer said it was a coating on the engine burning off and it would go away. it did in about a month so i thought it was over. It came back as soon as i changed the oil. turns out it goes away as the oil level drops to about .5-1 qt low. Verified this several times with oil changes.
GM actually acknowledged the oil smell problem and issued a service bulletin to the dealers that stated for customers who report of oil smell in cabin when there are no visible oil leaks, change the rear main seal on crankshaft.
My dealers service department has been great in working with me on this issue and changed the rear main about 4 months ago. The oil level was down a quart, which is the way i've been dealing with this issue and i only just this weekend topped off the level with a fresh oil change. The problem came back immediately. Worse than before.
Its going into the shop today for further evaluation. This is more a matter of getting the problem on record in case GM can't or won't address the issue and i need to invoke the lemon law.
bandit4008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #58
bandit4008

For Those Interested;

As mentioned previously, I had the car in for further evaluation. The dealer could not find any other leak or possible source. They checked with GM technical to see if there was any further information on how to resolve the situation, but there was nothing. Additionally, since they replaced the rear main the smell has gotten much worse. Lately, i have been driving with Recirc turned on so no fresh air is drawn into the cabin. Dealer gave me a GM phone number to call.

Spent almost an hour with a service rep in Detroit this morning. He took down the complete history since i bought the car a year ago. He will be in contact with the fatory contact at the dealer indicating that i will be bringing in the car this weekend and i should leave it there untill the problem is fixed.
Supposedly, the problem is crankcase vapors escaping from the rear main seal. Even though this is not an actual oil leak, the oil rich vapors can't be good for the clutch. If true, it means the PCV system is not working as intended. If GM drags their feet on this, i plan on contacting the EPA as this is an emissions violation.
I will provide updates as things change.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:31 AM   #59
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit4008 View Post
For Those Interested;

As mentioned previously, I had the car in for further evaluation. The dealer could not find any other leak or possible source. They checked with GM technical to see if there was any further information on how to resolve the situation, but there was nothing. Additionally, since they replaced the rear main the smell has gotten much worse. Lately, i have been driving with Recirc turned on so no fresh air is drawn into the cabin. Dealer gave me a GM phone number to call.

Spent almost an hour with a service rep in Detroit this morning. He took down the complete history since i bought the car a year ago. He will be in contact with the fatory contact at the dealer indicating that i will be bringing in the car this weekend and i should leave it there untill the problem is fixed.
Supposedly, the problem is crankcase vapors escaping from the rear main seal. Even though this is not an actual oil leak, the oil rich vapors can't be good for the clutch. If true, it means the PCV system is not working as intended. If GM drags their feet on this, i plan on contacting the EPA as this is an emissions violation.
I will provide updates as things change.

Great info, thanks.

Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
Old 04-09-2014, 10:58 AM   #60
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
OK, now I know this is a real stretch, but has it been confirmed that it has the correct dipstick? 'IF' and I repeat 'IF' the dipstick is the wrong one, it may not be reading the oil level correctly, and when you fill it till it reads 'full' on the dipstick you may be in fact over-filling the engine.

When the oil level drops to a 'normal' (for the engine) , it reads low on the dipstick and the smell goes away.

Fill the oil again to where it reads 'full' on the dipstick (actually over-filling the engine), and the smell returns.

yes I know it sounds crazy, but it should be easy enough to check by simply taking a dipstick out of another car and comparing them.

can't hurt to check?
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #61
2014CamaroZL1

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1
That is an excellent idea.

Also...does the car have an oil catch can installed ?
If not, perhaps put one in.
If yes, then try taking it out and putting back the factory pieces.
2014CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #62
bandit4008

The car is completely stock as from the factory. I am not going to install something to fix a design flaw. As to the dip stick, The manual calls for 8 quarts of oil. When the oil is changed, i fill back with 8 quarts and the dip stick reads even with the full mark. This is the first thing the dealer checked.
As to why .5-1qt low solves the problem, i don't know. it's definitely not an oil leak per se. when the trans was pulled for the rear seal replacement there was no visible signs of leaking. it could be that with a full crankcase, there is a pocket of air trapped around the rear main that is not evacuated by the PCV system.
Old 04-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #63
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Hmmmmm I recall a long time ago another member had oil leak issues, and they could never find where is was leaking from even after injecting dye into the oil and a whole bunch of other tests. They suspected a porous block, bad rear main, etc, etc.

In the end they discovered (IIRC) some kind of rubber y-hose in the PVC system that had a manufacturing defect INSIDE the hose, blocking off one side.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #64
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
I'm not sure you guys are correct on this. I have owned many vehicles, and every time I have had the oil changed there is some oil smell For a short time.
I contribute this to the removal of the filter and spillage of oil and or the drain plug ( witch I doubt) Mine was changed by the dealer and initially when the car was new I didn't smell it. After each change I notice it for a while then it goes away. I have no leaks and am not losing oil on the stick. I don't smell it thru the vents, but only when the window down and stopped or moving slow. The odor does goes away after a while and never returns til the next change. Also I'm not gonna worry about it, I'm gonna drive it like I stole it. The last time I had it changed I watched them and they put exactly 8 quarts full syn. After they were done and I got home I checked it and it only showed halfway between the high and low level on the stick. Maybe your oil is being over filled.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #65
bandit4008

Believe me, this happens. Between oil changes as the oil level drops, the problem goes away. As soon as the problem stops, i top off the crankcase and it comes back. I can't speak for you, but i don't spill so much as a drop of oil. And in each case, the dealer verified that there was not so much as a smudge of oil anywhere on the engine. I originally took it back to the dealer with only 25 mi on it. He checked it and said it was probabbly a coating on the engine burning off. Protective coatings on engines have a different smell than burning oil. Oil has a very distinctive smell. When it went away in month or so i forgot about it until i did my first oil change when it came back.
I never smell it with the windows down. It comes through the vents. Since they changed the rear main a few months ago, its so strong at times it almost make me nausious.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #66
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
I too have noticed a smell of burning oil but I only have less than 100 miles on the car so far. It hasn't been all the time, but I do get wiff every once in a while. Thanks for the info, I'll have to keep my eye on this.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #67
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
I too have noticed a smell of burning oil but I only have less than 100 miles on the car so far. It hasn't been all the time, but I do get wiff every once in a while. Thanks for the info, I'll have to keep my eye on this.

What you're smelling is normal break in. The smell doesn't start that soon and in all cases after the 1st oil change.

Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
Old 04-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #68
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
When I change the oil on my 2013 I put in 7 3/4 qts of oil and no problems. Used to put in 8qts plus topping off the oil filter on my 2011 and smell would be there when ever I came to a stop. Did it the way I did the 2013 and smell went away.
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #69
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Oil odor a/c vents

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 1LE View Post
When I change the oil I put in 7 3/4 qts of oil and problem gone. Used to put in 8qts plus topping off the oil filter.

A lot of guys run less then the recommended 8qts. I run 7.5qts and feel that got rid of the problem. Some guys even run with 7qts.

Sent from my AGM, 2SS/RS
Old 04-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #70
bandit4008

I told the GM service rep that i would be willing to keep the oil level a little low to eliminate the problem, "BUT" GM would have to give me something in writing that states do so will not in any way void the warranty and is acceptable for all types of driving. I think this is a fair request.
Also, SSMY1LE, a little smell in the first few miles is normal although that smell is not the same as one of burning oil. I have 24k miles and the smell is stronger now since the rear main was changed than in the beginning.