Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #57
Stack4

Drives: 2014 SW 2LT/RS M6
The Sonic RS is pretty cool. But I got my mom on board to get the Camaro! Now, the decision comes down to IOM or Black...I think black with silver stripes would look awesome, due to the wheels that come with it. But yet the orange is just so nice.
Stack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #58
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
If you're truly a "responsible" 16 year old having your parents buy you a Camaro for your first car is not a good decision.

The Cruze and Sonic both are fantastic cars. Despite what everyone is telling you though, they are quick little cars. You'll be surprised. I owned a Cruze and have driven multiple Sonics, even the 1.4L has some get up and go! They handle great and they're safe and convenient. Going to save you(r parents) loads on insurance and gas.

As much as I love my Camaro, I almost still wish I had kept my Cruze a little longer.

When you have your own job paying your own expenses think about buying the Camaro of your dreams, it's the more responsible thing to do and you'll appreciate it that much more.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #59
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupa10 View Post
If you're truly a "responsible" 16 year old having your parents buy you a Camaro for your first car is not a good decision.

The Cruze and Sonic both are fantastic cars. Despite what everyone is telling you though, they are quick little cars. You'll be surprised. I owned a Cruze and have driven multiple Sonics, even the 1.4L has some get up and go! They handle great and they're safe and convenient. Going to save you(r parents) loads on insurance and gas.

When you have your own job paying your own expenses think about buying the Camaro of your dreams, it's the more responsible thing to do and you'll appreciate it that much more.
I have driven a rented Cruze 2Lt with an auto before, I was pretty impressed with it, after having to drive a relative's auto Cobalt. Just to recap on your comment, when you were 16, and your parents were buying you a car, you'd pick a Sonic or Cruze over a Camaro?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #60
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack4 View Post
The Sonic RS is pretty cool. But I got my mom on board to get the Camaro! Now, the decision comes down to IOM or Black...I think black with silver stripes would look awesome, due to the wheels that come with it. But yet the orange is just so nice.
Black is the best color on the camaro IMHO. The camaro is a sinister looking machine, and black is a sinister color. The inferno orange is also amazing.
Here are the two cars that rock these colors:

The Black SS belongs to member: Shootir
The IOM SS belongs to member: Dangeruss

BADASS CARS
Old 10-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #61
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Black is the best color on the camaro IMHO. The camaro is a sinister looking machine, and black is a sinister color. The inferno orange is also amazing.
Here are the two cars that rock these colors:

The Black SS belongs to member: Shootir
The IOM SS belongs to member: Dangeruss

BADASS CARS
Way to make my decision even harder.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #62
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Quote:
Way to make my decision even harder.
Cant go wrong either way lol.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #63
Stack4

I imagine the orange would be easier to keep clean. But if I were to get any car, I would wash it as soon as it got dirty. I only have experience washing the car I thought I was going to get, a red Cobalt SS. That car was ridiculously easy to wash because of how small it is. I wouldn't mind getting a white one, but I would have to have black stripes, but I don't really want stripes. Is it really as hard to keep black clean as people say it is?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #64
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
Quote:
I have driven a rented Cruze 2Lt with an auto before, I was pretty impressed with it, after having to drive a relative's auto Cobalt. Just to recap on your comment, when you were 16, and your parents were buying you a car, you'd pick a Sonic or Cruze over a Camaro?
When I was 16 I didn't have the luxury of my parents buying me a car, my dad "sold" me his '98 Ram. In order for it to be "mine" I had to work for it. I got a job and saved up money and decided to buy a Cruze after my Freshman year in college, great MPG and it was cheap for a new car. After my Sophomore year I started a co-op with a large company and had all this extra money so decided to trade in the Cruze for my Camaro. I love my Camaro to death, but still part of me wishes I'd have kept the Cruze until it ran into the ground and just had money sitting in the bank.

In my honest opinion, if my parents were buying me a car at 16, I'd take the Cruze. It's a fun car, good mpg, safe, cheap, all the good and responsible attributes. It's going to last. And then in X years buy the Camaro and you can keep the Cruze as your DD.

There's a lot of factors you probably aren't thinking of with the Camaro. I'm not entirely sure about the LS, but I know for the LT/SS/ZL1 if you want to drive it in the winter you'll need to buy another set of tires. If you even want to try and drive it in the snow and risk an accident or driving into a ditch. Even in the rain you'll be slipping all over.

Speeding tickets. Get ready for them. It doesn't matter how responsible you are, you'll speed in a Camaro. How many cops will let you off with a warning at 16 in a Camaro? I was pulled over in my truck and cruze more than once driving home from work or school and was let off with a warning every time. I've been lucky enough not to get pulled over in the Camaro yet, but I know if I ever do I'm not getting off with a warning. Which leads me into another point, you'll see threads on here constantly about people getting hammered by cops for even little things like the color of their side markers. Camaros are a cop magnet, they'll be looking for anything they can to pull you over and give you a ticket.

I don't think this one applies to the LS - I'm not as familiar with it - but I know for the LT the tires are different sizes in the front and back. They're already going to wear faster. You'll buy 2-3 sets of tires in the same time you would need to replace them on a cruze.

The visibility in the Camaro is pretty poor compared to something like a Cruze. Camaro has a 5-star safety rating, but I don't think you want to find out for yourself.

tl;dr - In my honest opinion get the Cruze or Sonic.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #65
gutterball

Drives: 2014 1LS M6 Supercharged
Send a message via AIM to gutterball
Stack, you can buy chrome Trim rings on the internet for the LS Camaro, and those tires with the Chrome trim rings, especially on a Black Camaro look sharp.
gutterball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 PM   #66
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Quote:
I imagine the orange would be easier to keep clean. But if I were to get any car, I would wash it as soon as it got dirty. I only have experience washing the car I thought I was going to get, a red Cobalt SS. That car was ridiculously easy to wash because of how small it is. I wouldn't mind getting a white one, but I would have to have black stripes, but I don't really want stripes. Is it really as hard to keep black clean as people say it is?
I wash my car like twice a week, and its white lol. Black will be difficult to keep clean if you dont have experience detailing cars. Sure you can clean the dirt off and get her nice and shiny, but how many swirls will you leave behind?
If you want the easier color to keep clean, stays cooler on hot days, and sticks out like a sore thumb (keep distracted drivers from crashing into you), get the IOM. You will probably get more looks in that color from the opposite sex if you know what I mean.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #67
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupa10 View Post
When I was 16 I didn't have the luxury of my parents buying me a car, my dad "sold" me his '98 Ram. In order for it to be "mine" I had to work for it. I got a job and saved up money and decided to buy a Cruze after my Freshman year in college, great MPG and it was cheap for a new car. After my Sophomore year I started a co-op with a large company and had all this extra money so decided to trade in the Cruze for my Camaro. I love my Camaro to death, but still part of me wishes I'd have kept the Cruze until it ran into the ground and just had money sitting in the bank.

In my honest opinion, if my parents were buying me a car at 16, I'd take the Cruze. It's a fun car, good mpg, safe, cheap, all the good and responsible attributes. It's going to last. And then in X years buy the Camaro and you can keep the Cruze as your DD.

There's a lot of factors you probably aren't thinking of with the Camaro. I'm not entirely sure about the LS, but I know for the LT/SS/ZL1 if you want to drive it in the winter you'll need to buy another set of tires. If you even want to try and drive it in the snow and risk an accident or driving into a ditch. Even in the rain you'll be slipping all over.

Speeding tickets. Get ready for them. It doesn't matter how responsible you are, you'll speed in a Camaro. How many cops will let you off with a warning at 16 in a Camaro? I was pulled over in my truck and cruze more than once driving home from work or school and was let off with a warning every time. I've been lucky enough not to get pulled over in the Camaro yet, but I know if I ever do I'm not getting off with a warning. Which leads me into another point, you'll see threads on here constantly about people getting hammered by cops for even little things like the color of their side markers. Camaros are a cop magnet, they'll be looking for anything they can to pull you over and give you a ticket.

I don't think this one applies to the LS - I'm not as familiar with it - but I know for the LT the tires are different sizes in the front and back. They're already going to wear faster. You'll buy 2-3 sets of tires in the same time you would need to replace them on a cruze.

The visibility in the Camaro is pretty poor compared to something like a Cruze. Camaro has a 5-star safety rating, but I don't think you want to find out for yourself.

tl;dr - In my honest opinion get the Cruze or Sonic.
I understand exactly what you have to say, and I agree. IF I get a ticket, I'm sure my parents would take the car away for awhile, no matter what kind of car it is. Snow isn't a huge deal where I live, I think it snowed once last year. It sucks that in Illinois, you have to have a front plate in order to avoid a ticket. I don't think my parents nor I have thought about tires, but you're right, they would be pretty expensive. I think it'll all come down to what the deal will be on the cars. Since the Cruze is about $800 less MSRP, My parents will only buy the Camaro if it is at most $2k price difference from the Cruze after all the deals and such.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #68
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
I wash my car like twice a week, and its white lol. Black will be difficult to keep clean if you dont have experience detailing cars. Sure you can clean the dirt off and get her nice and shiny, but how many swirls will you leave behind?
If you want the easier color to keep clean, stays cooler on hot days, and sticks out like a sore thumb (keep distracted drivers from crashing into you), get the IOM. You will probably get more looks in that color from the opposite sex if you know what I mean.
Lol. It would sure help with the ladies. I think I'm pretty good on washing the car, but when it comes to drying it down, I need to get a LOT better. If my dad doesn't help me wipe down his car, there's always a good amount of water spots. But it's something to get better at. I haven't talked to my parents about colors yet, but I know that my dad loves the Orange. I have a feeling he'll drive it quite often too. Even though my mom's DD is a CTS-V, it's an auto, which he doesn't care for.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #69
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutterball View Post
Stack, you can buy chrome Trim rings on the internet for the LS Camaro, and those tires with the Chrome trim rings, especially on a Black Camaro look sharp.
I'll probably end up getting different wheels off of a 1lt, because the base wheels are so nice and the same tire size. But my dad wanted to try to paint the LS wheels in silver or something, it might look pretty good.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #70
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Quote:
I understand exactly what you have to say, and I agree. IF I get a ticket, I'm sure my parents would take the car away for awhile, no matter what kind of car it is. Snow isn't a huge deal where I live, I think it snowed once last year. It sucks that in Illinois, you have to have a front plate in order to avoid a ticket. I don't think my parents nor I have thought about tires, but you're right, they would be pretty expensive. I think it'll all come down to what the deal will be on the cars. Since the Cruze is about $800 less MSRP, My parents will only buy the Camaro if it is at most $2k price difference from the Cruze after all the deals and such.
Dude, just get the CAMARO! Make sure you have the dealer throw in a locking gas cap for the cars safety since it will be parked at a highschool, and have a blast! Oh, and dont forget, everyone will try to race you in that car. DONT give them the satisfaction, you have nothing to prove. The camaro WILL KILL you if ya let it. V6 or V8, physics does not care what is under the hood when you plow into that telephone poll at 75.