Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #57
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Get one of each.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #58
blk13SS

Drives: '13 1SS LS3 '05 Neon SRT-4
Never in my life would I allow my 15 year old to get a new SS. Too much car for someone that age to handle. This is my way of thinking and I know everyone has they're own opinions.

Like a previous member stated, I would start off with an older model Camaro (IROC Z-28). Learn how to value and appreciate your vehicle, learn to care for it and maintain it. Then when you get a bit older move on and get yourself the car you want.
2013 1SS LS3/Cold Air Inductions/VMAX ported tb/TSP 1 7/8 LTs and xpipe/factory NPP axleback/BTR stg 3 cam kit/ZL1 injectors/3.91 gears/MGW sts/DSS carbon fiber driveshaft/DSS 1000hp axles/BMR LCAs & adj. toe rods/DSMLIGHTS E85 dyno tune 454/427 running out fuel. ZL1 fuel pump, McLeod twin disk, and retune coming soon!
Old 07-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #59
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
Buy the manual. It's obvious in your post that you want a manual. Manual = Race Car is one of the most uneducated things about cars I've ever heard. The reality on that comment, most race cars these days are Automatics!
Old 07-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #60
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
When I was starting out I chose a manual ....just in case the battery was dead...or the starter went out...I could always push it off...that's the only reason to get a manual...lol....let the defenders chime in
I dont think you can push off a modern manual because you need power from the battery to operate the ECM and fuel pump. Back in the day of carburetors and mechanical fuel pumps yeah, I am pretty sure that can't be done now.
If your battery still has enough power to operate those like a starter problem you can push start it.

Last edited by Angrybird 12; 07-20-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #61
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk13SS View Post
Never in my life would I allow my 15 year old to get a new SS. Too much car for someone that age to handle. This is my way of thinking and I know everyone has they're own opinions.

Like a previous member stated, I would start off with an older model Camaro (IROC Z-28). Learn how to value and appreciate your vehicle, learn to care for it and maintain it. Then when you get a bit older move on and get yourself the car you want.
Making good moral or ethical sense in this new nonsense world will get you nowhere. Stop that right now.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #62
Brandywine5

Drives: 2013 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-ricer View Post
Hey guys, first off sorry if this is in the wrong section. Anyways, when I purchase my first car (most likely Camaro) this winter I would like to get manual transmission over an auto. I have one problem though, my dad doesn't want me to because he says my car will be a "race car" if I get a manual. I have not driven a manual before but I'm sure I would learn fast if I did get a manual. (My dad knows how to drive manual well so he would teach me.) Anyways, I thought of a few reasons to let me get a manual over auto, if you have anymore please let me know. I will be buying the car BTW.

1) A manual transmission is cheaper than auto.
2) A manual requires more concentration while driving.
3) A manual can get better gas mileage than an auto.
4) In regards to my dad saying the manual is a "race car", manual is actually slower than the automatic most of the time. (I won't speed or race so I'd rather have a car I'd get the most fun out of, I think that would be a manual.)
Going back to the original post, the question was politely asked if ther were any other reasons, other than what the poster stated, to chose a manual over an automatic. The poster was not asking for anyone's approval or any bashing, hating or anything other than that. I don't get it. Why do some people lash back? I thought that's what that social networking site was for, not a Camaro forum where most of us are looking for knowledge and supposed to be supportive of each other. Let's try to keep Camaro5 that way.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #63
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Isn't a manual transmission cheaper on maintenance than an auto?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #64
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Isn't a manual transmission cheaper on maintenance than an auto?
Autos only need a fluid change.
Manuals need clutches, how often you change it depends on how you drive.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #65
anti-ricer

Drives: '13 Camaro SS, in the near future
To those wondering how I make my money or think I'm trolling , I sell alot on ebay. I earned my money all by myself. Dad has been kind enough to take me to the post office when I sell things and has supported my small ebay business. Here is a link to some of the past items I have sold http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?item=...H_Sold=1&rt=nc All you have to do is click the link and see that I sell some rare and valuable stuff.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #66
POWERMAN

Drives: '13 Charger Sxt+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
One thing is once you learn to drive a manual correctly you will never forget how.
Quoted for truth.

As much as I dislike slushboxes (I own one myself currently), I always find myself missing the manual transmission from back when I was younger [especially when I experience a second or two delay whenever I go WOT at times]

Although, frankly for a daily driver, I do find the automatic to be convenient, especially after a long day at work.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:26 PM   #67
HeadonaStick

Drives: 2011 Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryble View Post
Well considering it is going to be in his dads name im sure his dad will help cover insurance if he is going to start to get behind. You have no idea what this kids situation is like chris said. grandparents passed away. Maybe his dad buys him evwrything and still gives him a $200 a week allowance. Chris isnt making the argument that this kid is legit, he just isnt assuming he is lying like appearently everyone else. Maybe he is maybe he isnt. Some people just like talking about cars and dont care either way. Maybe he doesnt belive him, but is still offering up advise on the off chance he is legit. Stop making an ass out of u and me... if you dont want to help, fine, stop derailing the thread. Just because you couldnt afford a $40000 car or even met anyone that could, doesnt mean its impossible. The wonderful thing about the internet is that people from all backgrounds can come together to communicate. So even though the probability is low, it is still possible.

He did say his hard earned money so I doubt it was given to him.

If he has a job that pays over 20k a year for part time work then he can afford the insurance and maintenance for the vehicle.

He already has my best advice. I honestly can't think a rational argument why a manual is absolutely better than an auto in this day and age. I got a manual because I like to drive a manual; I feel more in control and it is just more fun for me. I doubt that argument is going to persuade dad.

My other reason for a manual is that my wife can't drive one and refuses to learn. So I am the only one who drives my car. I doubt that is going to be a good argument in this case either.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #68
Terryble

Drives: 2013 VR 2SS/RS M6
I didn't really care how he made his money, that's his business. The only reason I mentioned other things, incuding inheritance was to offer up more plausable explanations for other to grasp. Hopefully to stop the harassment and get back to topic. But now everyone knows, and the fact that he shows how he did infact make his own money, we can leave the rest alone.....

Old 07-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #69
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
L99 FTW!!!
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
Old 07-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #70
aggieguy13

Drives: 2013 SS/RS VR 1LE
Reason for manual......... becasue.... racecar. nuffsaid

2013 SS/RS 1LE VR-Backup System, SOLO Perforsance HF Cats, Muffler Delete, BBK Off-road X-pipe
2002 35th Aniversary SLP SS-Sold

Closed Thread