Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 08-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #57
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
The crank damper bolt is not long enough to use for the install. It will not work.
Hey found ya and this is good stuff.. If I get everything tomorrow fom JRE I will see if I can get it all on and maybe back to Woodward before its so bad you cant move. Almost that bad tonight.. Great chatting
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:20 AM   #58
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Hey found ya and this is good stuff.. If I get everything tomorrow fom JRE I will see if I can get it all on and maybe back to Woodward before its so bad you cant move. Almost that bad tonight.. Great chatting
Sounds good. PM me if you have any questions during your install.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:07 AM   #59
Snickers
Rumblebee

Drives: ZL1 Rally Yellow
Quote:
No. Only removed the one idler pulley. Nothing else needs to be removed. There is plenty of room to do what you need to do.

Hi,

doesnt the front fascia and the radiator have to come off (needing a new fill of Dex-Cool after that as well) or at least be put to the side?

I'm gonna get the 18% OD ATI next week and am wondering about what the mechanic has to do to my car.
Snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:40 PM   #60
Shrek

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
Hi,

doesnt the front fascia and the radiator have to come off (needing a new fill of Dex-Cool after that as well) or at least be put to the side?

I'm gonna get the 18% OD ATI next week and am wondering about what the mechanic has to do to my car.
I removed nothing. My forearms paid the price but you don't NEED to remove anything.
Roto-Fab Intake, Apex Catch Can, Stainless Works 2" long tube headers with cat delete, Stainless Works 3" retro chambered catback, ATI Super Damper with 10% overdrive lower pulley, tuned by JRE. Sitting on Black MRR 228's wrapped in MT's.
Shrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 02:12 PM   #61
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snickers View Post
Hi,

I removed the one idler pulley (held on with single bolt) to help with getting the stock damper out of the FEAD area once it was pulled off. That is the only thing removed in addition to the belts.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:27 PM   #62
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Is there any weight difference between the stock unit and the 5% overdrive ATI unit?
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #63
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayno20 View Post
Is there any weight difference between the stock unit and the 5% overdrive ATI unit?
Pretty sure ati is lighter but not sure how much.
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #64
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
I removed the one idler pulley (held on with single bolt) to help with getting the stock damper out of the FEAD area once it was pulled off. That is the only thing removed in addition to the belts.
Can you show which one you removed?
Old 08-17-2014, 12:39 AM   #65
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Just started doing this today. Almost a disaster...

I had some all thread about 8 inches long, a nut, and a few washers. Got the stock bolt off no problem, used the puller and got the stock pulley off no problem. Then put on the new ATI and started with the all thread. Got it torqued down pretty wheel but it didn't look like the belt lines matched up so I kept going.

It got REALLY tight but the pulley STILL didn't line up... Ended up breaking the all thread and luckily enough was sticking out I still was able to get it out.

How hard should this be to slide onto the crank? I feel like I was putting a lot more into it than I should have had to and it STILL wasn't lined up..
Old 08-17-2014, 06:12 AM   #66
Shrek

Quote:
Just started doing this today. Almost a disaster...

I had some all thread about 8 inches long, a nut, and a few washers. Got the stock bolt off no problem, used the puller and got the stock pulley off no problem. Then put on the new ATI and started with the all thread. Got it torqued down pretty wheel but it didn't look like the belt lines matched up so I kept going.

It got REALLY tight but the pulley STILL didn't line up... Ended up breaking the all thread and luckily enough was sticking out I still was able to get it out.

How hard should this be to slide onto the crank? I feel like I was putting a lot more into it than I should have had to and it STILL wasn't lined up..
When I did it, it felt like it was going forever but it eventually bottomed out. When you try to tighten it down and it kicks back, it's done.
Roto-Fab Intake, Apex Catch Can, Stainless Works 2" long tube headers with cat delete, Stainless Works 3" retro chambered catback, ATI Super Damper with 10% overdrive lower pulley, tuned by JRE. Sitting on Black MRR 228's wrapped in MT's.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:57 PM   #67
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
When I did it, it felt like it was going forever but it eventually bottomed out. When you try to tighten it down and it kicks back, it's done.
Just an FYI to anyone doing this, make SURE you use all thread that is as high of a grade as you can. The one I bought originally must not have been very high because it snapped and was ALMOST a huge problem. Thankfully it snapped with enough sticking out to back it out.

I found another bit of all thread that was grade 10 and I had no problems with it. Although I will say this, for anyone doing this, don't be alarmed if you hear a "popping" sound while tightening it towards the end. When I heard this at first I was scared, but my friend was watching the pulley as I was tightening it and when it "popped" the pulley moved in more. Basically its not a bad thing to hear.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #68
2013 ZL1 #7860

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #7860
Quote:
Just an FYI to anyone doing this, make SURE you use all thread that is as high of a grade as you can. The one I bought originally must not have been very high because it snapped and was ALMOST a huge problem. Thankfully it snapped with enough sticking out to back it out.

I found another bit of all thread that was grade 10 and I had no problems with it. Although I will say this, for anyone doing this, don't be alarmed if you hear a "popping" sound while tightening it towards the end. When I heard this at first I was scared, but my friend was watching the pulley as I was tightening it and when it "popped" the pulley moved in more. Basically its not a bad thing to hear.
Can the crank and the pulley be lubricated to make this easier? Or the ati damper be put in hot water or heated slightly to help?
2013 ZL1 #7860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:15 PM   #69
Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 ZL1 #7860 View Post
Can the crank and the pulley be lubricated to make this easier? Or the ati damper be put in hot water or heated slightly to help?
You can warm up the damper to 200 degrees in the oven, just don't use a torch.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:22 PM   #70
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrek View Post
You can warm up the damper to 200 degrees in the oven, just don't use a torch.
Would that make a big difference?