Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #57
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I, too, was concerned about the gap being small first, but after reading one of the deciple's recent post, I rest a little bit better. We're all just going to have to wait to see if our individual expectations will be fulfilled.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 02:42 PM   #58
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I see.... and FYI all srt engines are not speed limited, just limited buy RPM's
Huh? I never said anything about anything being speed-limited. But I do find it hard to believe SRT models are not governed on US roads.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #59
Cyberstyx

Drives: Seat Leon 1.8 20VT
Send a message via MSN to Cyberstyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
I really don't know how to feel about this. Ever since I drove my friend's '94 Z28, all I ever wanted was a V8 Camaro. When I first heard they were coming back, all I could talk about was getting a V8 Camaro. I loved everything about the V8; the power, prestige, etc.

That was a couple of years ago. Now with the economy the way it is, the dream of owning the V8 I always wanted is slowly fading away. Up until a couple of days ago, I was still determined to get the V8. Now with the news that the V6 will most likely close the performance gap between the two models, the V6 really seems like the best bang for the buck.

It may seem weird, but I am kind of disappointed because if it really exceeds expectations in price, performance, mileage, etc, there's really no argument (in my case) to get the V8 anymore. At least if the V6 was "just a V6" like in past generations, I would have no reservations about getting the V8.

I know I should be happy the V6 will be a great machine, but for someone like me who always wanted a V8, I'm now really unsettled about what to do.

I know a lot of responses will be that those who can afford the V8 will buy the V8. While I can afford the V8's sticker, gas, insurance, etc, I'm not exactly able to flush money down the drain either. I feel like I'm at the border between these two cars and this news (unfortunately for me) puts me more I think in V6 territory.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Sorry if none of this makes sense. Hopefully when solid info comes out, I can make a better judgment about what to do.
I know what you mean. I 'm glad that the "entry level" (not mentioning a possible 2L engine) will be such an amazing version. But I 'm also glad about the possible 500+ HP version of the car. If I 100% like the V6 version, I certainly like 1000% the demented V8 one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
I got a Question? what is easiest to tuned out, mid v8 or demented v8

Example: Challenger R/T and Challenger SRT8, mid level v8 is easier to tune out and would get the best performance, while the faster more powerful SRT v8 is the hardiest to tune and low performed when tune, and this goes for any engine, is this true....
From my experience, and without having a clue about the V8 and imba-V8 engines that could be presented, you can push a "good" engine only so far before resulting to extreme measures for tuning it even higher. The "very good" version requires less hassle to do so.

Depending the two engines and the gap between them if you opt to reach X HP which is higher than both stock engines, you will always have to pay more for the 1st engine to reach X HP and less for the 2nd "better" engine to reach the same X HP.

I 'd say, if you want to tune your engine no matter what, and if you want specific HP results form your tunning, then it all goes down to which car version will need the less money for tuning, resulting in cheaper tuning spending overall.

I myself dream of the 500+ HP beast, and I don't even wanna touch that diamond-engine with tuning (I 've being foolling around with my current car). I 'd love to have a true muscle car, and just keep it as it is. Let 's face it, I 'd have to meet a Ferrari to start feeling uncomfortable at a red light lol. 500 HP is WAY TOO MUCH, and te percentage of cars that could "trouble me" is a very small one.

I 'm just a bit sad that I 'll have to wait longer, if the demented V8 is released l8r. Actually, I 'm puzzled if this happens: it has being announced that such a version will be released, and there are tons of ppl expecting it. Why delay it? I can understand the vert being delayed, but why the 500 HP V8?
Cyberstyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #60
radz28
Petro-sexual

I'm not sure it's actually been announced that there will be a demented V8; I must have missed it. I agree with pretty much everything that was posted above. I'd prefer not to have to invest too much after getting the car; simple bolt-on stuff only and a chassis tune if necessary.

Hopefully we get some more information on the 6 though; it sounds like it's sure to impress a lot of people.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 05-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #61
Cyberstyx

Drives: Seat Leon 1.8 20VT
Send a message via MSN to Cyberstyx
I 'm pretty sure I 've watched a video in YouTube from a GM guy saying something like a bigger V8 version. And because the engines where "advertised" on the same phrase (like, "there will be a V6, a V8, and a very fast V8"), I was under the impression that those 3, at least, engines/versions will hit the market at the same time.

As far as the 'demented' V8 goes, plx someone correct me if I 'm wrong.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #62
Nickdago

Drives: 01 Z06 08 CTS 07 Avy LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx002 View Post
I've never had a car not get the mileage claimed. In fact, most got better. I've had some you had to baby to get it and others that I didn't have to drive light on the pedal to get it.

My current Subaru Legacy GT is supposed to get 18/24, but I get 22 in mixed driving and I got 26 to 27 mpg when I drove it from Mass to Florida and that was with the cruise set to 75mph. Miles on the car are 35K

The Aura, which has the 3.6L is supposed to get 17/26, and usually does better in the city, but is about right on the highway.

The Acadia also uses the 3.6L and is supposed to get 16/22 and does get about 16 in the city, however you have to baby it to get 22 on the highway and keep it under 72mph.

The Lexus GX470 was supposed to get 14/17 and did slightly better on both
The BMW 325 17/25 and it never got less than 21 mpg in the city and easily did 30mpg on the highway
The RSX type S did better than advertised
The Tahoe did better (god I loved that 5.3L)
The Buick Regal GS did better (3.8L supercharged)
The Acura TL did slightly better

That takes me back to around 2000, can't remember before that other than I remember that the ol' GMC sonoma did rather well too and all my motorcycles did rather well...lol.
Actually my Z06 with the LS6 gets the 17/27 they advertise, when I stay out of it of course. So if the Camaro gets the LS3 I would be more than happy if it got the same mileage they state for the Corvette. It is incredible when you can get that kind of mileage with an engine that cranks out over 400 ponies.
Nickdago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #63
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croathlete View Post
I really don't know how to feel about this. Ever since I drove my friend's '94 Z28, all I ever wanted was a V8 Camaro. When I first heard they were coming back, all I could talk about was getting a V8 Camaro. I loved everything about the V8; the power, prestige, etc.

That was a couple of years ago. Now with the economy the way it is, the dream of owning the V8 I always wanted is slowly fading away. Up until a couple of days ago, I was still determined to get the V8. Now with the news that the V6 will most likely close the performance gap between the two models, the V6 really seems like the best bang for the buck.

It may seem weird, but I am kind of disappointed because if it really exceeds expectations in price, performance, mileage, etc, there's really no argument (in my case) to get the V8 anymore. At least if the V6 was "just a V6" like in past generations, I would have no reservations about getting the V8.

I know I should be happy the V6 will be a great machine, but for someone like me who always wanted a V8, I'm now really unsettled about what to do.

I know a lot of responses will be that those who can afford the V8 will buy the V8. While I can afford the V8's sticker, gas, insurance, etc, I'm not exactly able to flush money down the drain either. I feel like I'm at the border between these two cars and this news (unfortunately for me) puts me more I think in V6 territory.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

Sorry if none of this makes sense. Hopefully when solid info comes out, I can make a better judgment about what to do.
No i want to state first that this might be a biased answer because i've always been in the V6 camp on this board since i heard the DI V6 would be in the Camaro.

I personally think that the V6 would be the best value car out of the three because you're getting good mileage with 300+ HP and performance that is between the old LT1 and LS1 engines of the 4th gen. IMO the DI6 will be an amazing car when compared to other cars on the road such as the Mustang GT and such. I'm gettin it and i'm going to be beating those cars from light to light all day long...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #64
Sphinx002

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS9CamaroSS View Post
No i want to state first that this might be a biased answer because i've always been in the V6 camp on this board since i heard the DI V6 would be in the Camaro.

I personally think that the V6 would be the best value car out of the three because you're getting good mileage with 300+ HP and performance that is between the old LT1 and LS1 engines of the 4th gen. IMO the DI6 will be an amazing car when compared to other cars on the road such as the Mustang GT and such. I'm gettin it and i'm going to be beating those cars from light to light all day long...
The only problem with that statement is this:

Nothing says the 3.6DI will be 300hp+. If it is detuned in the same way it is in the Lambda's it would come in at around 286. Still smoking though.

For me. I've waited till Chevy made a Camaro like this again. V8 here I come.
Sphinx002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:05 PM   #65
jtallen123

Drives: Honda
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6814

Based on that road and track article I'd guess there will be:

LS - 3.5L pushrod V6 220HP
LT - 3.6L DI V6 300+ HP
SS - 6.2-liter LS3 V-8 400HP
Z28 (a year later) - super-charged 6.2-liter sibling to the Corvette ZR1's LS9 motor known as the LSA 480-500 HP

And maybe replace the base V6 with a 260-bhp turbocharged 2.0-liter four in the 2011-2012 timeframe for gas mileage reasons.

Dunno how accurate you'd consider Road and Track to be, but that's what they think at least.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #66
Sphinx002

Drives: .
I'd be shocked...and I mean SHOCKED to see a 3.5L in a camaro as they are being phased out AND:

The LZE and LZ4, which are the only two 3.5L still in use are both FWD applications (yes I know they could use it still in a RWD app, but wouldn't make a ton of sense - Volume = cost effective and the 3.6 is the engine being ramped up while the 3.5 is on the way out)

Last edited by Sphinx002; 05-22-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Sphinx002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #67
jtallen123

Drives: Honda
It'll be interesting to see what things turn out to be when we get some official information.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:05 PM   #68
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtallen123 View Post
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=6814

Based on that road and track article I'd guess there will be:

LS - 3.5L pushrod V6 220HP
LT - 3.6L DI V6 300+ HP
SS - 6.2-liter LS3 V-8 400HP
Z28 (a year later) - super-charged 6.2-liter sibling to the Corvette ZR1's LS9 motor known as the LSA 480-500 HP

And maybe replace the base V6 with a 260-bhp turbocharged 2.0-liter four in the 2011-2012 timeframe for gas mileage reasons.

Dunno how accurate you'd consider Road and Track to be, but that's what they think at least.

It has already been confirmed that the one and only V6 engine in the base Camaro will be the 3.6, and most likely the DI version (just ask any one of the disciples who drove the V6 manual this weekend - while they weren't given official stats on the engine, from behind the wheel and based on seat of pants meter, it was quite the beast). Forget the 3.5 - it's done.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #69
radz28
Petro-sexual

I agree; I can't see why they'd stack two V6s, with almost identicle displacements, in the same car. You want a V6s mostly for economy, so why have two close to each other and not have a T4 or something instead. I think there's going to be a T4 instead of the 3.5L.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 05-22-2008, 04:47 PM   #70
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
If you hadn't seen it yet, be sure to scope out the latest pics of the V6...DI is all but guaranteed at this point!
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote