Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-04-2017, 07:59 AM   #57
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Let's all agree and drink to this. Oh I forgot, I can't drink anymore.

That's ok I'll drink what you can't. But I promise not behind the wheel.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #58
Scottiemac

Drives: Black 2015 1ss/rs
Z28 CPA you have some beautiful cars! My 15 SS is in my garage. The 67 Firebird is sweet. Sadly my 67 Firebird is under a tarp next to the garage. I can't sell it though, it's my first car. I've owned it since 1977. Nice vette too!
Scottiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:55 AM   #59
Z28 CPA

Drives: 2015 Z28 #166, 2016 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiemac View Post
Z28 CPA you have some beautiful cars! My 15 SS is in my garage. The 67 Firebird is sweet. Sadly my 67 Firebird is under a tarp next to the garage. I can't sell it though, it's my first car. I've owned it since 1977. Nice vette too!
Thanks! It sounds like you definitely should hold on to the 67. I've had mine for just about 3 years. It was outside under a couple of car covers until this November when I decided to store it at a place near my house where I can reasonably expect to drive it on occasion. I also realized that my classic car insurance will not cover the car sitting on the street. It has a newly rebuilt 400 (w/461 stroker kit) and drives well. The body is in pretty good shape. I drive it a lot when the weather is good. My goal for it is to keep it in its current condition (a driver) with necessary maintainence but not put too much into it as it is not numbers matching. My wife loves the car so I plan to keep it. However, I never seem to be able to hold on to cars very long. I also plan to keep the Z28 since it is a special car (at least to me).
Z28 CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #60
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I think my only problem is that the OP called what the driver of the Camaro he saw a disgrace. It's not a disgrace, and mind your own business! When I lived in northern Illinois, I drove my '93 Z28 year round. In fact, it snowed the night I picked it up. The big block '69 sat in the garage (still own that car today, and it still sits in the garage while the 1LE is the daily driver, just like the WS6 it replaced). When they get caked with crap, they have to be washed, but you can keep them nice if you try. OP, be glad you can keep your put up because it seems very important to you, as it is to others, but don't don't put someone else down because of what they do.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #61
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Five pages of this? One word- why? Besides, the Tesla is set to take on supercar acceleration status soon. We'll be swapping out the LS motors for electrics and batteries anyway!
Old 01-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #62
abrahamseven

Drives: 2015 LS
Been in the classic car hobby for 40 years and unless you have a damn good and accurate
Crystal ball you have no way of predicting future classic cars, besides being in the hobby has taught me take care of all my cars it will payoff in the end. Why would you treat your new Camero like that after spending a lot of money on it? Rich.?
abrahamseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #63
SynergyGreenSS

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 CPA View Post
I agree with both viewpoints.

Cars stored for the winter and preserving for long term enjoyment:

Attachment 842638

Attachment 842639

Year around daily driver with winter tires and covered in PPF:

Attachment 842640

Fortunately, I work from home 90% of the time and wiil rarely need to go anywhere in bad weather. Also, I realized I was happiest only driving my dream cars. So, this setup works for me.

That a '67 firebird 400??
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
SynergyGreenSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:11 AM   #64
SynergyGreenSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post

Never mind, just read the post above. I have a red '67 firebird 400 4 speed convertible. Has the hood tach like yours too! Beautiful car brother!
LSA Supercharger, BTR Stage 3 PDS Cam, Yank 3200SS, Weapon X Stage 2 intake, LSA Heads, Flex Fuel, Ported throttle body, Speed Engineering Headers, NOWEEDS, ZL1 fuel pump, DSX AUX Pump, ID-1050X injectors, 3” pipe to NPP mufflers, 3.91 gears
Old 01-04-2017, 11:25 AM   #65
Scottiemac

Drives: Black 2015 1ss/rs
Since I only have a one car garage and have waited since 2009 for a 5th gen camaro, my poor Firebird is outside. Those of you that leave your cars outside, it's rough on them over the years. I wish I had a 6 car garage to keep them warm and dry.
Scottiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #66
Z28 CPA

Drives: 2015 Z28 #166, 2016 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynergyGreenSS View Post

Not really. It's a poser. It was originally a 326 car but the prior owner added the hood and headlight housings (which are slightly different on the 400). I like it nonetheless.
Z28 CPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:46 AM   #67
SynergyGreenSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28 CPA View Post
Not really. It's a poser. It was originally a 326 car but the prior owner added the hood and headlight housings (which are slightly different on the 400). I like it nonetheless.

Gotcha. Still looks great nonetheless
Old 01-04-2017, 11:57 AM   #68
samman11

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Now these kind of posts confuse me. Im well aware of whats a car investment and what isnt. My 2011 Camaro RS/2SS is sitting in my garage out of the snow and salt. Why? Because I plan on keeping this car pristine for a long time. I dont care how much its worth or how many were made. In 25 years my daughter...or grandson will have an Inferno Orange 2011 Camaro SS with decent mileage and hopefully original paint to take on nice cruises and car shows. And still be able to beat it up a bit at the drag strip if they want. My car my rules...you drive yours all you want but dont critique people that choose to take a little pride in their cars. Its up to the person not the people.
BINGO! You said it well. It really is not what it's going to be worth. I really don't care at this point. What I do care about is having my car look GREAT! Having people twist their necks and say, "Wow, man, that's a nice car!" That WON'T happen if someone drives the thing in the salt and snow. I've seen Camaros where that's been done, and obviously one can tell. So more power to these Camaro owners who drive an SS in the winter. Hey, if you want to do some donuts in the snow. I get it. You're going to be trading it in every few years, or you don't care if it shines like the day it was new. I get it. My brother used to sell carpets and every once in a while he had a customer come in who wanted a brown carpet to match the shit color on their shoes. True story! They didn't want to worry about cleaning or care less about what it looked like. So yeah, I get it with people who drive a Camaro in the winter. You don't care what it looks like. Dirty wheels and scratches don't concern you. I hope the carpet is brown as well.
samman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #69
xrivera91

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGC70 View Post
I live in Maine and where I live just received 27" of snow from one storm. All psyched up I got the snowmobiles running and trailered them down to the corner gas station. I pull in and there is a dude in a 16 or 17 Camaro SS completely covered in salt and sand really? Man put that thing away and get a shitbox truck for the winter. Maybe that was his winter beater and has a Lamborghini for the summer lol

Ahh cars are meant to be driven lol.
xrivera91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #70
blakjak55
drinks virgil's

Drives: 2010 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGC70 View Post
Oh I agree with what your saying, I have no false expectations on the value of my car, not sure how that was extracted from what I said. I just think they are a beautiful car and it's a shame to see one caked in road salt and sand. Kind of like taking a harley cruiser on a motor cross track. It can be done, just wrong tool for the job. Imo
Took mine on a 2500 mile round trip from NC to MO and back these past couple of weeks. Through the mountains, nastiness, and all of it.

It was most certainly the right tool for the job. Averaged 23.8 mpg with 3.91's running in the vicinity of 70-85 or so the whole way. Finally got to use 6th gear for an extended time.