Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #57
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
I am sorry if I came across disrespectful, I have noticed a tone with these type threads and people are becoming so Emotional and Angry if anyone even SUGGESTS there might not be a Z28. I wanted to try to get people to sit back and not be so emotional and consider what GM is going through right now financially.
Just give them the time to get back on their feet....and what see what the Environmentallists push on them next...THAT is what I feel Mr Lutz was trying to tell everyone.

To put it in perspective. if you were drowning in your finances(like GM), would you go out and build yourself a bigger house (Z28), just because your neighbor (Ford/Chrysler) just built a bigger one than you have now(KR500/SRT8)and your family (camaro fans) wanted you to have a better house than his?
Or Would you sit for a while and see what happens with your neighbor and see if your finances improve before making such an investment?
You know, it's hard to gauge how a person is intending on coming across from a monitor. I'm sure I don't always come off as I mean to, so I apologize for coming off abrasive and harsh too. I think it's good to keep this whole subject in perspective, no doubt. It's a hard time for enthusiasts. I think it's a good idea for GM to have a feel for the future in this segment. As you've suggested (I think I'm understanding ) why make a car that has no market or competition?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
What I don't understand is if Ford can make 20 different versions of the Mustang and have them be a sales success what is stopping a limited production run of Z28's or whatever they want to call it. It shouldn’t be a significant cost to develop as you can use existing technology from the Corvette and CTS-V.

Here is what I’d recommend:

- LSA engine
- Adjustable suspension (the magnetic one can’t remember the name)
- Aluminum hood, trunk and roof (or CF)
- Different wheel design
- Revised front Fascia
- Quad exhaust
- Recaro seats
I believe the hood is aluminum, standard, but can be mistaken; I'm not sure about the trunk lid. I, well personally, wouldn't want to pay for the Magnetic-Rheological shocks because I'm sure it would push the car out of my price range, but think it's a great idea. Everything else is exactly what I would hope for

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:24 AM   #58
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
What I don't understand is if Ford can make 20 different versions of the Mustang and have them be a sales success what is stopping a limited production run of Z28's or whatever they want to call it. It shouldn’t be a significant cost to develop as you can use existing technology from the Corvette and CTS-V.

Here is what I’d recommend:

- LSA engine
- Adjustable suspension (the magnetic one can’t remember the name)
- Aluminum hood, trunk and roof (or CF)
- Different wheel design
- Revised front Fascia
- Quad exhaust
- Recaro seats
Really nowhere near that simple. Think of the legal requirements, the R&D, and the man power required. Millions.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:25 AM   #59
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro&T/A View Post
why is it that the environmentalists always get what they want and we never do? I think it's because they kick and scream until they get what they want. they vioce their opinions loudly. maybe we should too. start CAFE protests or something.
Let's march on Washington!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #60
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matster View Post
It would be interesting to see the demographics regarding SS vs Z28, perhaps a poll, your age and your preference SS vs. Z28. Not sure but IMO your opinion may have something to do with how long you've been around
Good Idea but it would be a difficult thing to do since nobody know what a Z28 would be performance wise, ultimately it is GM's decision.. If we are only talking about a name, Z28 is only a Camaro designation, always has been, so if you are wanting to distinguish yourself from every other Chevy then It would be Z28... BUT the SS had a longer and more Honored history.. so it's up to the person.

If you say "I have an SS" you need to clarify it by saying , "I have a CAMARO SS" But if you say "I have a Z28" everyone knows you are talking about a Camaro...
Old 08-27-2008, 10:39 AM   #61
Robert91RS

Quote:
I like your thinking I guess it would come down to whether the 422hp is already the outer limits of the current IRS design, or other components such as the frame. Will everything else handle 500-600hp?
I asked about that, I was told it was holding 475rwhp just fine so far.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #62
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Really nowhere near that simple. Think of the legal requirements, the R&D, and the man power required. Millions.
Inexpensive in relative terms. Most of what I've listed is in use on the 2009 CTS-V or the Corvette. Hell if need be make no exterior change if you need to re-certify. Changing materials used like body panels for a different material isn't significant if the design itself doesn't change. What’s so hard about stamping aluminum vs. steel? Or use a higher grade of steel, whatever shaves the pounds and lowers the center of gravity.

Same with the suspension. Modifying it to fit the Zeta platform shouldn't be much of an issue. Same with buying Recaros, I'm sure Recaro would make them.

As long as the power and handling is there it will satisfy.

All I'm saying is if Ford can make a GT500 and people buy it for 20k over list then a 550hp Z28 would do even better. Keep in mind this is the exact setup on the CTS-V for 60k, IRS, LSA, etc and it has a great interior. Pretty sure they could do a Z28 for 45k or so.
Design1stCode2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:46 AM   #63
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Quote:
Good Idea but it would be a difficult thing to do since nobody know what a Z28 would be performance wise, ultimately it is GM's decision.. If we are only talking about a name, Z28 is only a Camaro designation, always has been, so if you are wanting to distinguish yourself from ever other Chevy then It would be Z28... BUT the SS had a longer and more Honored history.. so it's up to the person.

If you say "I have an SS" you need to clarify it by saying , "I have a CAMARO SS" But if you say "I have a Z28" everyone knows you are talking about a Camaro...
I wasn't neccessarily referring to the current Gen 5 but rather the Camaro legacy as a whole. "In your opinion the top dawg Camaro monikor as it pertains to the history of this vehicle is ___ I am ___ years old."

Does the older generation embrace the Z28 and the younger generation the SS or is age of no relevancy?

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 10:53 AM   #64
Robert91RS

Quote:
Inexpensive in relative terms. Most of what I've listed is in use on the 2009 CTS-V or the Corvette. Hell if need be make no exterior change if you need to re-certify. Changing materials used like body panels for a different material isn't significant if the design itself doesn't change. What’s so hard about stamping aluminum vs. steel? Or use a higher grade of steel, whatever shaves the pounds and lowers the center of gravity.

Same with the suspension. Modifying it to fit the Zeta platform shouldn't be much of an issue. Same with buying Recaros, I'm sure Recaro would make them.

As long as the power and handling is there it will satisfy.

All I'm saying is if Ford can make a GT500 and people buy it for 20k over list then a 550hp Z28 would do even better. Keep in mind this is the exact setup on the CTS-V for 60k, IRS, LSA, etc and it has a great interior. Pretty sure they could do a Z28 for 45k or so.
I want these things too, I'm just saying, don't think it will be cheap. You want it to be fast and safe and legal and cheap. What's the quote I keep seeing that lists 3 options and you can only pick two? This project will require many steps and many people, all of which want there money.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:00 AM   #65
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
I wasn't neccessarily referring to the current Gen 5 but rather the Camaro legacy as a whole. "In your opinion the top dawg Camaro monikor as it pertains to the history of this vehicle is ___ I am ___ years old."

Does the older generation embrace the Z28 and the younger generation the SS or is age of no relevancy?
Sorry I thought you were refering to the Gen 5
Since the Z-28 is 41 years old I really don't think age will have much influence on who likes what.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #66
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
I want these things too, I'm just saying, don't think it will be cheap. You want it to be fast and safe and legal and cheap. What's the quote I keep seeing that lists 3 options and you can only pick two? This project will require many steps and many people, all of which want there money.
I think Older guys will Put the Z28 higher mostly because it is rare and extremely collectible in the first Gen camaro's

Other than that I'd say it's a toss up. What hurts the SS as far as the Camaro is concerned is they didn't always use it in every generation of Camaro. Subjective at best.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #67
Punk_rider

Drives: VW Typ 166 + Black 1LE
ok, english is not my mother tongue ... but reading that, I understand that, to people who may beg for an high po camaro, Chevy will answer "sorry folks we can't".

Am I missing the meaning of this interview? I hope so, cause if there's no Z28 or whatever the name 550 hp camaro, suicide is the only option!
Old 08-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #68
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I think Older guys will Put the Z28 higher mostly because it is rare and extremely collectible in the first Gen camaro's

Other than that I'd say it's a toss up. What hurts the SS as far as the Camaro is concerned is they didn't always use it in every generation of Camaro. Subjective at best.
I guess I fall into the "Older guy" segment, really to me it makes no difference, I would like to see both the SS and Z28 together again, it is only fitting. But I have no preference of one over the other, they have always been different enough to appeal to different people...

The Z28 did dissapear too for a couple years 75-77 and so did the Rally Sport (RS) 74-77 and was brought back in 78 then dissaperared again only to be brought back again later , you can't keep a good car down for long...
Old 08-27-2008, 11:55 AM   #69
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Quote:
I guess I fall into the "Older guy" segment, really to me it makes no difference, I would like to see both the SS and Z28 together again, it is only fitting. But I have no preference of one over the other, they have always been different enough to appeal to different people...

The Z28 did disappear too for a couple years 75-77 and so did the Rally Sport (RS) 74-77 and was brought back in 78 then dissaperared again only to be brought back again later , you can't keep a good car down for long...
I agree with you completely, at 44 I too fall into the "older" guy segement. It really doesn't matter to me what monikor they put on it so long as it is a GT500 killer.

Hey, if you're willing to void your warrant and have the cash, the new SS has tons of potential. IMO with the right mods the SS will easily be writing the first of many GT500 obituaries.

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:02 PM   #70
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:

The Z28 did dissapear too for a couple years 75-77 and so did the Rally Sport (RS) 74-77 and was brought back in 78 then dissaperared again only to be brought back again later , you can't keep a good car down for long...
Quote:
I agree with you completely, at 44 I too fall into the "older" guy segement. It really doesn't matter to me what monikor they put on it so long as it is a GT500 killer.

Hey, if you're willing to void your warrant and have the cash, the new SS has tons of potential. IMO with the right mods the SS will easily be writing the first of many GT500 obituaries.
Sorry, I should have been a bit more specific. By older I really meant old enough to remember the release of the 1st Gen... You know OOOOOOolder.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote