Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #57
halo8hkk

Drives: 2000 Z28. 2010 1SS IMB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
i noticed i had a penzoil filter on mine after the dealer changed my oil and i said what happened to the delco filter that they had put on at the first oil change. he told me they use penzoil filters there. im thinking now that they only drained the oil on my first change. he said they did put synthetic in but didnt know if it was penzoil or mobil 1.
penzoil filters are spray painted fram's. dont let any one put it on your car.

2010 1SS/RS = Mysstique
Whipple Supercharger
Dyno= 618hp 555tq at the wheels
IMB Silver Stripes
VIN#44025
Born: 9/9/09 Delivered: 9/28/09
halo8hkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:31 AM   #58
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by halo8hkk View Post
penzoil filters are spray painted fram's. dont let any one put it on your car.
The base FRAM filters are the only in their line that suck. Tough Guard is decent.

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfi...lterstudy.html

I am pretty adamant against anything Penzoil personally. Just not a good history there.

I recently placed an order for Amsoil 5-30w and EaO filters for both my cars. Looking forward to changing over.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #59
jehartley

Drives: Red LT1 & Silver LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbarberoilman View Post
Thr guy claiming Amsoil does not meet 4718M spec is WRONG. Simply go to Amsoil.com and look up the specs. How anyone can print such horseshit is really a disservice to anyone with any intelligence.
Trolling again, eh? I love Amsoil...I do. I use it on all of my vehicles that are out of warranty, but meeting a spec and having the certification are two different things. The owners manual is very clear. Use the proper weight of oil, it has to meet the spec, and it has to have the API starburst and doughnut...Amsoil does not have the API starburst and doughnout, with the exception of the XL line.

Stop spreading your false information.
jehartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #60
jehartley

Some of you guys just don't seem to get it. If you don't care about your warranty, then use Amsoil, Redline, or Royal Purple.

If you care about your warranty, then you should not use them. The only exception is Amsoil's XL line. Meeting the specs alone doesn't mean jack as far as the warranty is concerned. The owners manual is clear:

What Kind of Engine Oil to Use
(V8 Engines)
Look for three things:
. GM4718M
This vehicle's engine requires a
special oil (1) meeting GM Standard
GM4718M
. Oils meeting this
standard may be identified as
synthetic. However, not all
synthetic oils will meet this GM
standard. Use only an oil that
meets GM Standard GM4718M.
Notice: Using oils that do not
have the GM4718M Standard
designation can cause engine
damage not covered by the
vehicle warranty.
. SAE 5W-30
(2) SAE 5W-30 is best for the
vehicle. These numbers on an
oil container show its viscosity,
or thickness. Do not use other
viscosity oils such as
SAE 20W-50.
. American Petroleum Institute
(API) starburst symbol
(3) Oils meeting these requirements
should have the starburst
symbol on the container. This
symbol indicates that the oil has
been CERTIFIED by the American
Petroleum Institute (API).

Neither Amsoil, Redline, nor Royal Purple comply with the last one.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 PM   #61
GreyLS3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Okay if you change your own oil do you just have to keep the receipt for the oil & Filter plus the mileage log you changed it at to keep warranty in effect? Just wondering been changing my own for years and only trust myself to do a good job.
GreyLS3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:18 AM   #62
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLS3SS View Post
Okay if you change your own oil do you just have to keep the receipt for the oil & Filter plus the mileage log you changed it at to keep warranty in effect? Just wondering been changing my own for years and only trust myself to do a good job.
Yes you need to keep receipts and log the mileage.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 AM   #63
jehartley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLS3SS View Post
Yes. It may be a little overkill, but I also keep the oil filter box top and write the mileage, OLM%, date of oil change, oil brand, and oil weight on the back of it, then I staple all receipts to it and put it in a folder with my log.

I had a engine failure once almost before the warranty went out. GM dealer gave me crap because they had no record of service for me coming in other than recalls etc. I pulled out my folder that had all I stated above in it for the previous 3 years and the dealership took care of everything without incident.

Had I not had all that, or those records showed oil purchased that did not meet all three requirements GM has in its owners manual, they would have denied my warranty claim in a heartbeat.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #64
GreyLS3SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
Yes you need to keep receipts and log the mileage.
Thank you both
Old 04-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #65
GreyLS3SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehartley View Post
Yes. It may be a little overkill, but I also keep the oil filter box top and write the mileage, OLM%, date of oil change, oil brand, and oil weight on the back of it, then I staple all receipts to it and put it in a folder with my log.

I had a engine failure once almost before the warranty went out. GM dealer gave me crap because they had no record of service for me coming in other than recalls etc. I pulled out my folder that had all I stated above in it for the previous 3 years and the dealership took care of everything without incident.

Had I not had all that, or those records showed oil purchased that did not meet all three requirements GM has in its owners manual, they would have denied my warranty claim in a heartbeat.
Thanks
Old 04-04-2010, 01:54 PM   #66
toddler51

Drives: 2010 2LT RS M6 Black on Black
Ok I'm going to change the Oil in my 2LT RS but there is no information about how many Qts of oil to use.
toddler51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #67
jag107

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM M6
correct me if I'm wrong, I believe it's 6 qts. on V6 motors.
jag107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #68
toddler51

Drives: 2010 2LT RS M6 Black on Black
Yea I found it in the manual thanks!
toddler51 is offline   Reply With Quote