Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 10-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #71
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack4 View Post
Snow isn't a huge deal where I live, I think it snowed once last year. It sucks that in Illinois, you have to have a front plate in order to avoid a ticket.
I should go look up what tires are on the LS, but the PZeros that come on the LT and SS are Summer tires and are not supposed to be used under 40* F. So even if it's just cold, the tires will become really hard and will get less traction. Only snowed once, in Illinois? It sounds like the winter was as crazy there as it was here in Michigan last year.

I'm still going to say the cruze or sonic would definitely be the responsible decision. It will be easier on you and your family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Dude, just get the CAMARO! ... The camaro WILL KILL you if ya let it. V6 or V8, physics does not care what is under the hood when you plow into that telephone poll at 75.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #72
Stack4

Drives: 2014 SW 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupa10 View Post
I should go look up what tires are on the LS, but the PZeros that come on the LT and SS are Summer tires and are not supposed to be used under 40* F. So even if it's just cold, the tires will become really hard and will get less traction. Only snowed once, in Illinois? It sounds like the winter was as crazy there as it was here in Michigan last year.

I'm still going to say the cruze or sonic would definitely be the responsible decision. It will be easier on you and your family.
I live in southern Illinois, about 10 minutes from St. Louis. Tires that aren't good under 40 degrees would be horrible. I understand the more responsible decision here, but...Camaro...
Stack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #73
Stack4

Quote:
Dude, just get the CAMARO! Make sure you have the dealer throw in a locking gas cap for the cars safety since it will be parked at a highschool, and have a blast! Oh, and dont forget, everyone will try to race you in that car. DONT give them the satisfaction, you have nothing to prove. The camaro WILL KILL you if ya let it. V6 or V8, physics does not care what is under the hood when you plow into that telephone poll at 75.
I probably would never race it. I'm sure the only cars that would want to race are SS's, Challenger R/T-SRT's, or Mustang GT's. I'm really wanting a Camaro, but I'm grateful for any car.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #74
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Try to quote my entire post next time.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 PM   #75
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
Quote:
I live in southern Illinois, about 10 minutes from St. Louis. Tires that aren't good under 40 degrees would be horrible. I understand the more responsible decision here, but...Camaro...
Camaros will still be around in 2... 5... 10 years, whatever. A 16 year old driving a Camaro for their first vehicle? I'm not sure I can say the same thing.

Quote:
I think you misunderstood the point... you told him to get the Camaro and then went on to tell him how it could kill him. I thought the point would come across, regardless of how (racing...).
Old 10-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #76
Stack4

Quote:
Didn't I?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #77
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Didn't I?
That was for Jkupa10.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #78
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
As far as insurance, yes you can be put on any car. Putting you on the '99 Sierra would be the cheapest option.

One question you should consider is if you are going to have the car in college. If you do plan to have a car in college, you might be better off with the Cobalt. That way the Camaro won't get beat up on a college campus. Trust me, it is very hard to keep a car from getting dinged up on campus.

Have your dad buy a 2SS LS3 for himself. Drive the Cobalt SS and make a deal with your parents that you will get the Camaro as your college graduation present. The Cobalt will be cheaper to maintain and you won't care if it has door dings all over it when you graduate. The Camaro can be kept nice for you by your dad and you'll have a great car when you get out of college in good shape.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 10:55 PM   #79
Stack4

Quote:
Camaros will still be around in 2... 5... 10 years, whatever. A 16 year old driving a Camaro for their first vehicle? I'm not sure I can say the same thing.
But will any of us sill be around in 2, 5, to 10 years from now? I think that I'm a pretty safe driver, my Behind The Wheel teacher said I was one of the best students he's had. Not even a complete year of having my permit, I've got a little over 100 hours of driving in, we're supposed to have 50 to get a license.

Last edited by Stack4; 10-25-2012 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Messed up
Old 10-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #80
Stack4

Quote:
That was for Jkupa10.
Such a fail on my part.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:58 PM   #81
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
As far as insurance, yes you can be put on any car. Putting you on the '99 Sierra would be the cheapest option.

One question you should consider is if you are going to have the car in college. If you do plan to have a car in college, you might be better off with the Cobalt. That way the Camaro won't get beat up on a college campus. Trust me, it is very hard to keep a car from getting dinged up on campus.

Have your dad buy a 2SS LS3 for himself. Drive the Cobalt SS and make a deal with your parents that you will get the Camaro as your college graduation present. The Cobalt will be cheaper to maintain and you won't care if it has door dings all over it when you graduate. The Camaro can be kept nice for you by your dad and you'll have a great car when you get out of college in good shape.
Never thought about this. I don't really think we could afford an SS. The original plan was to give the Cobalt to me and my dad gets a Cruze. But beginning of Freshmen year, we made a deal that I get the new car if I'm ranked top 5 in my class Freshmen and Sophomore year. As much as I'm sure my dad would love an SS, I don't think we financially could.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #82
zogster

Quote:
Never thought about this. I don't really think we could afford an SS. The original plan was to give the Cobalt to me and my dad gets a Cruze. But beginning of Freshmen year, we made a deal that I get the new car if I'm ranked top 5 in my class Freshmen and Sophomore year. As much as I'm sure my dad would love an SS, I don't think we financially could.
Not to sound mean, but how can you afford a CTS-V that costs $60k then?

Also your dad could always get a 1LT or 2LT with the RS package if you would be happy with that after college.

The car I took to college was already a POS, so I didn't care, but there were so many dings and scratches on it after college that weren't on it before, it was crazy.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #83
Stack4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
Not to sound mean, but how can you afford a CTS-V that costs $60k then?
My dad works for GM making the Express vans. My mom is a teacher. A lot of the money goes to the V. I believe the payments are over $1000 per month. I'm sure we could afford an SS, but I HIGHLY doubt they'd want to, if you understand what I'm saying.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #84
zogster

Well the other question is whether you are even going to take the car to college in the first place. Can you take the Sierra to college?

You could still get a Camaro and take the Cobalt to college. Let your dad drive the Camaro while you are at college.

That might be a good way to get your parents to spend a few grand more and get a 1LT or 2LT, if you can agree that your dad will be driving it while you are at college.