Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-07-2011, 01:41 PM   #71
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
It just amazes me how so many people can take things out of context and just start running off on a tangent ...
Old 06-07-2011, 01:42 PM   #72
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
Another CEO running the wrong business

Can anyone say "foot in your mouth statement" ???

Seriously, someone should remind Dan Ackerson where his current customer base is.

More to the point, Mr. Ackerson shall be reminded of where majority of the money, that is allowing GM to slowly crawl back from the hole it digged itself in, is coming from.

Someone shall read to him aloud the inventory reports from the last 24 months: the "econo-line cars" of the company are nowhere near the top three sellers, nor even in the top six sellers of GM.

Perhaps the same kind soul shall explain him some economic fundamentals, such like that during a recession, you don't steer people toward desirable trends by increasing or adding more taxes (that is, unless you are covertly pushing for an economy collapse) but by issuing incentives, like an income tax deduction based on the vehicle cost/type for instance.

More importantly: Mr. Ackerson shall be told to assimilate the fact that he works at a car manufacturing company now, not the telecommunications gimmick he used to dozze at, therefore publicly dilapidating yesterday's products to push consumers to the new and latest company offering does not work well with the customer base in this market.

These are not 100 bucks or less handheld items which buyers accept will become obsolete days, or even hours from purchase.

And to think GM brass and major shareholders allowed C. Lidell to leave the company to offer this jester the top seat!!

What a joke!!!!
Old 06-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #73
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
No politician will ever go along with this. It's a career ending move.
Not if this girl has a say.

Name:  tree_hugger.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  23.9 KB
Old 06-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #74
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65

And this site's well-deserved reputation for freakouts over nothing continues.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #75
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaSSt Off View Post
I WILL NOT be buying another GM, Ford, or Dodge vihicle. They think the economy sucks now, wait till they have to lay off thoussands of overpaid union employees because people are boycotting them. There are other vehicles that get the job done. Sure, they may be as cool, but they work and they dont want to hurt peoples wallet.

Some people make me laugh.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:48 PM   #76
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
but that's what the internet is for. It is a venue for people to act like "King Know it All" and e-dump on anybody who does not agree with them. duh!

omg, u just bought a Ford? gtfo!!!! lmao!
Old 06-07-2011, 02:05 PM   #77
hot_rod

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
>>And to think GM brass and major shareholders allowed C. Lidell to leave the company to offer this jester the top seat!!

The major shareholder(s) at that time was the US government! He came on the board as a rep for the treasury department.

As a representative of the current administration, he is doing exactly as they want done.

Note the absence of customers, shareholders, employees, etc., in the previous line of who he is there to represent.

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." - Mark Twain

"Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" - Unknown
hot_rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #78
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

And this site's well-deserved reputation for freakouts over nothing continues.

While I agree with this post, since you are way more in tune to GM than most of us, what is this article really about?
Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #79
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

While I agree with this post, since you are way more in tune to GM than most of us, what is this article really about?
Honestly, I view it as nothing. Every CEO of every major automaker has said something like this before. Does it ever actually influence anything in government? Rarely.

That being said, Akerson sometimes REALLY needs to keep his mouth shut (recent comments regarding future Cadillacs and the predicted demise of Lincoln), and this time is no different.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:29 PM   #80
anthonyj9h
"First There"

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss
Quote:
Honestly, I view it as nothing. Every CEO of every major automaker has said something like this before. Does it ever actually influence anything in government? Rarely.

That being said, Akerson sometimes REALLY needs to keep his mouth shut (recent comments regarding future Cadillacs and the predicted demise of Lincoln), and this time is no different.
where do u get ur info?

it is written......
anthonyj9h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #81
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezerj View Post
"Akerson isn't the first auto exec to float the idea of a gas tax to encourage consumers to buy fuel-efficient vehicles. Ford Chairman Bill Ford Jr. has previously advocated a gas tax increase."

You guys have to understand, he (as well as Bill Ford Jr.) is doing what is best for his company.

Having the government apply CAFE rules to GM cost GM money to develop these cars.

He would much rather see some other method of making the consumer buy more fuel efficient cars. Easiest way is to make gas so expensive they have no other choice.

Given these two types of options, every CEO of every company in America would agree with this type of thinking.

You can say you would not consider buying a GM as a result, but with Ford saying the same and Dodge certainly on board, what are you going to end up buying?

I'm not saying they haven't agreed, but can you provide a link to Ford and Dodge statements regarding this matter?

I thought it was all dandy at GM, or at least that's what everyone has been saying here. Sales have continually gone up, subsidiaries are profitable, etc. What's the problem that necessitates this type of thinking if that's the case? Sales increases by segment have primarily been in smaller, more fuel efficient new vehicles per GM's recent statements that have been discussed on this forum, while fleet sales and larger vehicles have suffered. What am I missing?
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:38 PM   #82
FenwickHockey65

Here's one from 2004 where Bill Ford proposed a tax increase.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...tax-hike-4734/
Old 06-07-2011, 02:40 PM   #83
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:

That's kinda the way I approached this.

Kinda feels like the ole ....."OMG, di you see who Obama had dinner with last night? He's a terrorist muslim consorting with the enemy."
Old 06-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #84
2ss-booya

Drives: 2015 SS Sedan M6
Anybody see this? (GM CEO rec. tax hike)

http://money.cnn.com/rssclick/2011/0...n=money_latest

Why on earth would he do this? I mean..I understand that it might increase sales of high mpg cars...but come on..that's a pretty dismal method to increase sales if you ask me.

If this gets approval...it could be a slippery slope from here...and might cut into my opportunity of using a ZL-1 as a daily driver
2ss-booya is offline   Reply With Quote