Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #71
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadz93 View Post
Post a screenshot/link to what you bought, and we can help you with what kind of method of application is required.
so ill jump in here. any tips here? im going to be putting it on in a few weeks after I get back from leave. all of the videos seem really straight forward and seems like tiny air bubbles really aren't going to be an issue.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:34 PM   #72
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
so ill jump in here. any tips here? im going to be putting it on in a few weeks after I get back from leave. all of the videos seem really straight forward and seems like tiny air bubbles really aren't going to be an issue.

Looks like an air release film to me. I would assume based on that it is dry applied.

Best cheap mod I have so far from an attention getting perspective. On my car though it is harder to see it at first being AGM with a black hood. Certain light the car looks black anyway.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:22 AM   #73
Denis

yea its supposed to have an air release system.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #74
dantemcc

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadz93 View Post
What vinyl wrap did you order? If you order 3M's 1080 film, do NOT (i repeat, DO NOT) use the wet method. The adhesive on that film is designed to be applied try, and is very forgiving with air bubbles.

If you have literally any friends that would be able to A: sacrifice an hour or two of time and B: give enough of a crap to not get any dust or anything under the film/on the hood, recruit them. You will need a second person to lay the film onto the hood.

Post a screenshot/link to what you bought, and we can help you with what kind of method of application is required.
http://www.rvinyl.com/carbon-fiber-v...er-4D-001.html
dantemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:24 AM   #75
cvhj

Drives: ford
The 1LE good is just a big vinyl wrap. Go for it. It looks great with rally yellow.
cvhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #76
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
When you wrap a Camaro hood, do you start toward the front and then stretch it to conform as the cowl rises? When I did my stripes, they bunched up toward the front as the cowl tapered to the front and it was REALLY hard to shrink the vinyl enough to make it lay down. I even have a shiny spot on my matte stripes from the heat.
I'm relatively decent with vinyl, but the Camaro hood tested my patience big time.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #77
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSummit View Post
When you wrap a Camaro hood, do you start toward the front and then stretch it to conform as the cowl rises? When I did my stripes, they bunched up toward the front as the cowl tapered to the front and it was REALLY hard to shrink the vinyl enough to make it lay down. I even have a shiny spot on my matte stripes from the heat.
I'm relatively decent with vinyl, but the Camaro hood tested my patience big time.
It is a 5' by 6' piece of vinyl. You place it across the hood so that it overlaps the front, rear and sides. You want to lay it down tight like a sheet so it almost looks painted before you work the air out. Then work from the middle out to the sides going front to back or back to front. You want to raise the front or back of the film as you go so the air has somewhere to go.

Click my sigpic, in my build you will see how much it overlaps all around the hood before you trim it.

It takes patience. But it is total doable. I have done it twice (practice the first try) and I am going to help a local club member this weekend on theirs. I used almost no heat the second time around on mine. You want to be careful not to overstretch the vinyl as it can discolor if you stretch it too far.

SigPic by Hazman
Old 07-14-2015, 11:28 AM   #78
Denis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon War Horse View Post
It is a 5' by 6' piece of vinyl. You place it across the hood so that it overlaps the front, rear and sides. You want to lay it down tight like a sheet so it almost looks painted before you work the air out. Then work from the middle out to the sides going front to back or back to front. You want to raise the front or back of the film as you go so the air has somewhere to go.

Click my sigpic, in my build you will see how much it overlaps all around the hood before you trim it.

It takes patience. But it is total doable. I have done it twice (practice the first try) and I am going to help a local club member this weekend on theirs. I used almost no heat the second time around on mine. You want to be careful not to overstretch the vinyl as it can discolor if you stretch it too far.
how much do you leave overhanging to wrap to the underside of the hood?
Old 07-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #79
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
I've done the technique you describe- I just had it bunch up at the front of the taper because it takes more vinyl to cover the taller cowl to the rear. I'll give it a shot- hell, I'll put up the gopro and share my success or failure- whichever comes up.
I'm leaning towards the 1080 3M even though it's a bit more expensive than most others, but I've heard it's the best looking.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 12:07 PM   #80
dantemcc

Quote:
I've done the technique you describe- I just had it bunch up at the front of the taper because it takes more vinyl to cover the taller cowl to the rear. I'll give it a shot- hell, I'll put up the gopro and share my success or failure- whichever comes up.
I'm leaning towards the 1080 3M even though it's a bit more expensive than most others, but I've heard it's the best looking.
Go for it. Im going to make a vid of me putting mine on. I cant wait to get the reactions, I'm sure it'll turn into a comedic hour of people, like usual, lambasting me.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #81
vikisangre
Art Teacher

Drives: I hav 2001 model camaro
thats funny
Old 07-14-2015, 12:18 PM   #82
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
how much do you leave overhanging to wrap to the underside of the hood?
When I was done, the warp overlapped the fenders and the bumper. I cut it by sliding the razor blade carefully in the gap between the hood and the fenders and the bumper. Then on the back I trimmed it close, but enough to wrap under. Then you just run the squeegee or your finger to roll the edge under the hood.

Go slow... do not rush cutting, you do not want to wander and hit the paint or the edge of the fender.

SigPic by Hazman
Old 07-14-2015, 12:20 PM   #83
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Quote:
Mine is 3M air release 1080. I paid $70 or $77 for it from Vivid Vinyl.

SigPic by Hazman
Old 07-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #84
dantemcc

Had a few hours to put on the vinyl. Came out really good. Had one air pocket as you can see from the 5th pic. Got most of it out, left it out in the sun and now its gone. I left the OEM stripes on it and it looks, imo, SICK underneath the vinyl. Now on to buy the front splitter and rockers. Those to which I'm pretty sure I'll have someone else install.

Let the lambasting begin!
Attached Images