Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM   #71
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Drives: 2010 SS, 1999 SS, 1993 Z28
Any word on the latest casualty?... hopefully no news is good news!

Sent from my EVO 4G
stikSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #72
mwt18

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stikSS View Post
hopefully no news is good news!

Sent from my EVO 4G
My sentiments exactly! I talked to the service manager first thing this morning. He said they would most likely get to it after lunch and acted like they were going to take care of it, no problem. He didn't mention anything about mods, so I didn't mention anything either.
I haven't heard back from them. I'll probably call 'em a few minutes before closing time and get the latest..
- Maggie w/ 3.6" Pulley | Kooks Coated 1 7/8" LT Headers | Rotofab CAI | MSD FPVB | ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch / LPE flywheel | MGW Short Throw Shifter | Diablosport Trinity / PLX boost & AFR sensor modules | TCI line-lock
mwt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #73
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Sounds good!.... good luck!

Sent from my EVO 4G
Old 05-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #74
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwt18 View Post
My sentiments exactly! I talked to the service manager first thing this morning. He said they would most likely get to it after lunch and acted like they were going to take care of it, no problem. He didn't mention anything about mods, so I didn't mention anything either.
I haven't heard back from them. I'll probably call 'em a few minutes before closing time and get the latest..
I will be shocked and very happy for you if they cover that under warranty.
I mean you have a maggie right? This also means you have a tune, plus all the other stuff. If you can get it that would be awesome.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #75
mwt18

Well... They finally gave me the call this morning. They confirmed that the output shaft was broken and they suspected more internal damage to the tranny. He went on to tell me that they don't have a transmission tech and they want me to have it towed to another dealer and they don't know if it is going to be covered under warranty. They acted like they didn't want to anything to do with it. I asked them if they called the GM technical center per the TSB instructions and they said they didn't because they don't have a transmission person.... Now what?
- Maggie w/ 3.6" Pulley | Kooks Coated 1 7/8" LT Headers | Rotofab CAI | MSD FPVB | ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch / LPE flywheel | MGW Short Throw Shifter | Diablosport Trinity / PLX boost & AFR sensor modules | TCI line-lock
Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #76
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

That sounds fishy. I've never heard of a dealership that can't fix and repair everything. Unless they are just saying, at this time, we don't have a tech that is qualifed to do tranny's, like he quit or something. Well, I guess you find another dealer and start again.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:28 AM   #77
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderSS View Post
My transmission was replaced at 3,137 miles. Vin 10872.9,000 miles on the car and back in dealership service again for drive-line problems (transmission noise & output shaft popping noise). Tomorrow will be the third full day in shop this week - no resolution yet. They also cannot determine why my radio unit went completely dead (see my info & video in another thread). New radio ordered which should arrive tomorrow. Dealership personnel have been very pleasant.

Definitely wishing I did not buy this car.
What was the reason for the first swap out?
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #78
mwt18

Quote:
I spoke with the dealership mechanic who did the swap. He said there was a shaft problem/possible defect in some of the early transmissions.
Did your output shaft ever actually fail? It sounds to me like you're having other issues than the one discussed here. I haven't yet heard of an output shaft failing under "non-aggressive" driving.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #79
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Don't be offended, but I simply do not recognize you as the all-knowing leading authority on these problems.

Glad we go that straight.
Wow, you sound like a fun person to deal with.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #80
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Hoping mine won't break at my HP#'s but if it does, GM can keep their warranty. What's the point of replacing a shit part with a shitier part? I'll get a 1400hp. DSS shaft, and no more worries.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #81
mwt18

Quote:
Yes. In the mechanic's words, "the output shaft snapped off completely and the driveshaft was just laying there". He mentioned a TSB; said that GM gave them a complete new transmission to install. He also explained that it was a known factory defect.
All ya had to say...

Anyways, I finally got an update on my car... Not so promising news..
They told me that they had it in the shop. They confirmed that the output shaft was broken and that they just got through taking pictures. I asked them what kind of pictures and the guy told me, "We had to take a snapshot of your engine computer and send it to GM along with pictures of your supercharger and other mods." He is going to call me back in a day or two and let me know what GM says.

I'm not anticipating good news.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #82
stikSS
9691 & 97586

What kind of shit is that??.... I would request a copy of everything they've done thus far. I think you need to ask them what caused the failure.... don't let em take the short road and blame their obvious part problems on your SC or mods. They still have to prove how it broke... stand your ground!

Sent from my EVO 4G
Old 05-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #83
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikSS View Post
What kind of shit is that??.... I would request a copy of everything they've done thus far. I think you need to ask them what caused the failure.... don't let em take the short road and blame their obvious part problems on your SC or mods. They still have to prove how it broke... stand your ground!

Sent from my EVO 4G
It's probably gonna go something like this "It has been determined that you have a supercharger and a tune on your car. This added power put too much stress on the output shaft. That part is not meant to run with that much power to it and it broke." Just playing devil's advocate. :( I really hope I am wrong and they take care of you with the KNOWN TSB problems with the output shaft. Come on GM, it's a known problem. Take care of this guy. This would go
along way in the customer service arena.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #84
stikSS
9691 & 97586

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
It's probably gonna go something like this "It has been determined that you have a supercharger and a tune on your car. This added power put too much stress on the output shaft. That part is not meant to run with that much power to it and it broke." Just playing devil's advocate. :( I really hope I am wrong and they take care of you with the KNOWN TSB problems with the output shaft. Come on GM, it's a known problem. Take care of this guy. This would go
along way in the customer service arena.
I wouldn't doubt it either.... but they still have to prove that the failure was caused by the mods or particular mod. I would think that GM would replace it once to cover themselves for the TSB and then if it breaks again.... sorry!!

Sent from my EVO 4G