Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:12 PM   #71
hv92

Drives: .
but uhhh..

the mustang will weigh less... have shitload more hp..?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #72
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hv92 View Post
but uhhh..

the mustang will weigh less... have shitload more hp..?

Yep.... its all about power. Nothing else matters.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #73
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by hv92 View Post
but uhhh..

the mustang will weigh less... have s[**]tload more hp..?

It's a Mustang.

Therefore, it's not for me.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #74
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Just to satisfy my curiosity, how do you know that GM did not anticipate that Ford would announce a 650 hp GT500 during the Los Angeles Auto Show?

Those that work at GM have been around the block before, and do understand the competitive nature of the business.
What i meant by that was the timing of that announcement being dropped was huge and i'm pretty sure caught GM way off guard the same as the rest of us. If it weren't you wouldn't be seeing this letter from Mr. Al O. the very next day. Now i'm certain GM knew Ford would step it up as they have little choice. Do i think that they were fully aware that announcement from the oval would be dropped and splashed all over the web pushing the HIGHLY anticipated ZL1 pricing to the back pages the same day? No i do not.

Now i'm not bashing anything in any way nor have i ever towards the 5th gen. In fact i am delighted with the "war" We all win. But, i call it as i see it. I'm no fan of Ford. In this instance though i do have to say....

Well played blue oval.. Well played.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #75
Anniecamaro

Drives: yellow LT2 RS
After i bought my first camaro in 1996 never look back ,and i had 5 mustangs 5.0 chevy is been good to me
Old 11-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #76
dave7378

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IBM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Because while he reads this site, he is in Los Angeles talking with media -- and trying to do his job.....he asked me to post the letter for him, but i was in the air over the United States and could not do it....thus, we asked Guillermo - who was kind enough to post it at once.
Thank you. We appreciate and respect your presence on this forum.

I absolutely love my 2SS. It is the most fun I have ever had driving a car. I can only imagine how much more fun the ZL1 will be. Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what Ford is doing except to say that we all benefit from car companies trying to outperform each other. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #77
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasKL View Post
Personally I'd prefer to have the option to not have the added weight and expense of things you don't need. If you're never going to twisty track your car you really have no need for a diff cooler. Most of these cars (both GT500 and ZL1) are never going to see VIR, they're going to be street cars and some with occasional trips to the drag strip. Saving 6 or so grand and not paying for stuff you don't really need or care about seems like a pretty good idea to me.
It's just a matter of opinion I guess. I find it hard to believe that anyone spending this kind of money on a high performance vehicle is not going to take it to the track. I know some will not but I think they will be in the minority. JMO

I guess Ford will not be able to claim it as a track ready car......
Old 11-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #78
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Personally I'd prefer to have the option to not have the added weight and expense of things you don't need. If you're never going to twisty track your car you really have no need for a diff cooler. Most of these cars (both GT500 and ZL1) are never going to see VIR, they're going to be street cars and some with occasional trips to the drag strip. Saving 6 or so grand and not paying for stuff you don't really need or care about seems like a pretty good idea to me.
and no one really needs 650HP, but yet here we all are.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:13 PM   #79
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
and no one really needs 650HP, but yet here we all are.
So true......
Old 11-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #80
BATMAN!
Banned

Drives: Corvette, F350, Durango but no svt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
It's just a matter of opinion I guess. I find it hard to believe that anyone spending this kind of money on a high performance vehicle is not going to take it to the track. I know some will not but I think they will be in the minority. JMO

I guess Ford will not be able to claim its a track ready car......
Im curious as to why you think that? You will just have two options it can either be track ready or not.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #81
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
I think the opposite, unless the GM buyers differ a bunch from the GT500 owners I have met. I've spoken to dozens of them at local cruise ins over the past few years and, so far, I've only met two that have put their car on any track, and only one of them was an open track/road course.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #82
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
The ZL1 is intended to be a track ready car. If one doesn't intend to take the car to the track and drive it on twisty roads, maybe the ZL1 is not the right car for him or her. The ZL1 is not intended to be a car that's main use is drag racing. If the drag strip is one's thing, then maybe the COPO Camaro would be a more appropriate choice than the ZL1.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
Old 11-16-2011, 08:24 PM   #83
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMAN! View Post
Im curious as to why you think that? You will just have two options it can either be track ready or not.
A base GT500 will not be track ready compared to a base ZL1.

Quote:
Think about how many 50,000+ dollar performance vehicles are sold in the US every year. If the majority of them were going to VIR or Willow or Laguna Seca there'd be a thousand people on every track at any given point in time.

I bet it's less than 5%. Probably a lot less than 5%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
I think the opposite, unless the GM buyers differ a bunch from the GT500 owners I have met. I've spoken to dozens of them at local cruise ins over the past few years and, so far, I've only met two that have put their car on any track, and only one of them was an open track/road course.
See below... GB is always better at wording than I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
The ZL1 is intended to be a track car. If one doesn't intend to take the car to the track and drive it on twisty roads, maybe the ZL1 is not the right car for him or her. The ZL1 is not intended to be a car that's main use is drag racing. If the drag strip is one's thing, then maybe the COPO Camaro would be a more appropriate choice than the ZL1.

To me the ZL1 seems like a completely different creature than we have ever had in the Camaro stable.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #84
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI DAVE View Post
Yeah......they really got out of the way with the 392........

It's laughable if you think Dodge is not gonna come back with something even faster......
I love the chally..but man its big. They have alot of work to be even close to staying in this game..right now, its a chevy vs ford war, and dodge is patiently waiting to be called into the game.
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam

Closed Thread