Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:49 AM   #71
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
People really are getting nuts here.

Give them some freekin time to sort things out. A problem is found they dont have like an electronic beacon on every car that says oh this one has a bad tranny. They need to calculate the range of VINs that are affected, and call in those people. Otherwise they will be replacing trannies that they don't have to which is a waste of their money and your time. I don't know about you but I don't want my transmission to be replaced unless it absolutely has to.

Calm down, they are working on it.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Old 07-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #72
alrox

Drives: corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
sllllllllloooooowwwww down.

Unless you were in the meeting about the G8, don't assume you know the whole story.

You mentioned that YOU own GM -- well -- YOU -- (The Government) is basically responsible for why the Caprice is not probably going to be a reality.

CAFE standards. 35mpg by 2016........

Civic does not get 35mpg
Corolla does not get 35mpg
Aveo does not get 35 mpg

(Cobalt XFE gets OVER 35mpg...)

......so how does the industry hit that number??????

Mebbe Fritz isn't a ditz.

For starters, the 35.5mpg is a company wide CAFE standard, not one for just cars. Cars and trucks combined must hit 35.5mpg. Virutally nothing made today meets the 2016 standard.

The current Cobalt XFE does not meet the 2016 CAFE standards of 35.5mpg. It has a current combined MPG of 30mpg. 25 city/37 hwy.

Quote:
Working from the 2011 model year CAFE standard of 27.3 mpg combined (cars, 30.2; light trucks, 24.1) announced in March, the standard will increase annually by 5pct, capping out at 35.5 mph (42 mpg for cars and 26 mpg for light trucks) in 2016.
Unless this 2016 CAFE standard is pushed back, which I believe it will, no current cars except hybrids will be produced.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #73
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
The article said that GM knows what the problem is and is keeping it a secret....so yes, I am questioning if we will be told what cars were affected since that would likely give away the secret.

I'm one of those people that stop the microwave oven 2/3 of the way through to stir my food since I don't expect the oven to cook it perfectly. If we all sit around and expect GM to do everything perfectly then we end up with ambient lighting nothing like the concept when preordering...much like my food won't be cooked evenly.

I find it discomforting that you are supporting the guy who says we shouldn't expect anything from GM except a car with a warranty and if our car transmission fails when driving then whatever.
Woa there. I don't think he was supporting the guy you quoted previously but just responding to what you said, albeit out of context. The spokesperson was mistaken and it sounded like he just assumed they'd keep it a secret like they normally would. The Camaro team is doing the right thing and is going to get the info to us. Now that we're past that 2/3rds mark, let's wait til the microwave finishes so we can know what the deal is!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #74
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
If you break they will fix it, what else matters
Old 07-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #75
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
People really are getting nuts here.

Give them some freekin time to sort things out. A problem is found they dont have like an electronic beacon on every car that says oh this one has a bad tranny. They need to calculate the range of VINs that are affected, and call in those people. Otherwise they will be replacing trannies that they don't have to which is a waste of their money and your time. I don't know about you but I don't want my transmission to be replaced unless it absolutely has to.

Calm down, they are working on it.
You know, I really think that the "calm down", "chill out", "slow down" comments arent helping. I honestly dont believe anyone's comments on this thread are expressing extreme amounts of anxiety torwards this situation. There was discussion that one party was saying that they believed that GM should disclose the results and affected cars of their testing (there were no time frames specified) and others that stated that it didnt matter and that GM had no obligation to disclose said information.

Any strong responses on the thread were in response to those individuals who felt like GM didnt need to release that information.

I for one can wait for the information... so long as that information is eventually released. But that being said, I invite those "calmers" to revisit the name and purpose of this thread. To inform everyone of the latest info from the NY Times in which GM states that they were keeping the info "close to their chest".

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
Old 07-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #76
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Personally I think the is much adue about nothing. ANYTHING mechanical can break, especially if put under and extreme load. I personally would never redline a car then dump the clutch, doesn't sound smart to me. I have never seen a car that you could do this to and not expect something to happen. GM says you can do it, so GM will fix it if it breaks.

What amazes me is that some think that just because a few people are having an issue with this that the whole lot is bad. I am even more amazed that some get upset that they are holding some cars to check the "Batch" before releasing them. It is a no win situation for them. Give 'em a break, they can not help if a supplier supplied a faulty part, all they can do is fix it. Some are not having any problems which means that the system does work as advertised, but I guess in a perfect world all part would be created equally.

The fine folks assembling these cars are doing a bang up job, my car went to QC for???? I don't know, don't really care. All I know is when my car arrived it was flawless and everything worked, every single item that has been identified in this forum was checked by the dealership and ALL items were found to be in order.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #77
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
The economy hastened ch. 11, it did not directly cause it.....

True GM had those plans, but they were moving too slow, that even without the economic downturn they would have inevitably had to file ch. 11.

Honestly those were things GM should have been working on 20 years ago, not two.

But that's a whole new ball of wax there.
not true -- had the economy supported a market of 13m a year, we would have not bled to death....
Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 AM   #78
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
I want to know if my car is affected, plain and simple. I don't understand why i have to use launch control and have it fail while GM knows what the problem is and has a fix. Doesn't seem right.

I swear I'm gonna hang myself............

How many times do I have to say: "We're working on it..."

NOW>>>>

........late evening meetings last evening.......

We are still clarifying the list - this is not something that you can just hit a button on a computer and a list pops out........

We will contact each customer who has a car involved.......

Please -- just CALM DOWN........
Old 07-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #79
thecamaroguy

Drives: 2020 ZLE 67 SS350
I took off hard yesterday (the hardest I have since I owned the car) and then I missed second gear...

My heart jumped a few hundred beats a minute, I thought my tranny broke! But, glad to say it was just me missing a gear.

But my tranny held up to another hard launch in which I didn't miss any gears...

Man, I love this car!
Old 07-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #80
fbodfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGruff View Post
I find it discomforting that you are supporting the guy who says we shouldn't expect anything from GM except a car with a warranty and if our car transmission fails when driving then whatever.
I am not supporting any such thing!

(...and I don't read the NY times......)

I am saying that GM is working on the problem and that we will do the right thing and that we will not put out a statement until we have all of the facts.

As you'll see -- I just mentioned that we're gonna contact EACH OWNER of a car affected.......but we can't very well do that until we determine WHICH cars are affected, now can we?

The internet is a great thing -- but people need to step back at times -- and understand that it DOES TAKE TIME to do investigations.

We continue to demonstrate that we are taking care of all problems associated with the new Camaro.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #81
Nezacant

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I would love to see the rings fbodfather has on his pimp hand just so I can get a good mental visual of the impression it's leaving on the faces of all the trolls he's backhanding.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #82
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
sllllllllloooooowwwww down.

Unless you were in the meeting about the G8, don't assume you know the whole story.

You mentioned that YOU own GM -- well -- YOU -- (The Government) is basically responsible for why the Caprice is not probably going to be a reality.

CAFE standards. 35mpg by 2016........

Civic does not get 35mpg
Corolla does not get 35mpg
Aveo does not get 35 mpg

(Cobalt XFE gets OVER 35mpg...)

......so how does the industry hit that number??????

Mebbe Fritz isn't a ditz.
You don't publicly disgrace your #1 employee, right after you emerge from bankruptcy. In essence, by Fritz saying "Bob says alot of things but he works for me", and puting it out for the publict to see, shows infighting and bickering and the "new" GM isn't even a month old. It's like he's hanging Bob out to dry - not that Bob needs anyone to defend him, but it shows poor leadership skills and a lack of confidence by Fritz.

Bob knows product, plain and simple, and he talks off the cuff. Fritz knew that going into this - he needs to STFU!

If he is like this with this relatively small issue, how will he respond with much greater issues?

Scott you should read the GM blog. Bob Lutz has the majority of the country in his corner. Maybe not for the product reversal so much as the way Fritz handled it (but you can bet your sweet bippy that many people are mucho pissed that the G8 will not survive in some fashion at Chevy).
Old 07-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #83
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
not true -- had the economy supported a market of 13m a year, we would have not bled to death....
Regardless of the economy, GM's N/A market share has continuously declined over the last quarter century. Declining market share AND negative cash flow ultimately means one thing - a slow and painful death.

I am 100% behind all the moves that Fritz and company are implementing but I wonder how much of it would have been implemented if the economy was doing well and Rick was still running the show.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #84
speeflo

Drives: Chevy 2500
regaurding the original post, when my car broke the transmission it was NOT in the 5-6000 rpm rang it was never higher then about 4k , we had launched the car a few times over the 1st few days and they was fine,then for some reason the last final one went bang and thats it,again around 4k letting out clutch not dumped. props to GM though for fixing my problem so quickly it was awesome , too bad it just broke a rear shaft to the tire!

Closed Thread