Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 PM   #71
RedHotRuby

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS LFX
One of the reasons I got the 6 was the paddle shifters. I didn't want to shift a manual in NYC, it turns into a chore here. The paddles were a perfect reason not to get a manual. I like the auto down shifting with the paddles although I use the brakes to slow the car, not the gears. In another state or smaller city with less traffic I could see a manual. It's more fun anyway if you have the space to get on it often.

I use the paddles every time I drive my car. It's good to open her up a little and get it up into the 5's and 6's. Airs it out. Plus the sound, lovely. You can do it just by hitting the gas as well but the paddle has a bit more go to it. I have to get the throttle spacer now, I have been reading good things about it. Couldn't hurt.

I don't get the people that never use it. But to each their own, I suppose. I also like that the paddle continues down the wheel so you don't have to reach up to the top of the paddle all the time. They are perfectly positioned behind the wheel. When I see a Camaro on the road that wants to mess around. First thing you always see is them reaching up for the paddles immediately. Same here. Race on. I love my car.
RedHotRuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:46 AM   #72
NYCamOwner
"Katy"

Drives: 2014 2LT A6 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Never heard of that.....

I used my paddle shifters a lot when I first got my exhaust, not so much now, just when I feel playful...

Possible next mods:
Throttle Body
Exhaust

Upstate C5 Member

No, that is not me in the avatar..... I just love hot girls and hot cars.... or hot girls IN hot cars....
NYCamOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 04:53 AM   #73
KidKilowatt

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
All the time.
2011 LLT RS Black on Black Loaded. [x]Showstopper 45th Anniversary inspired Camaro RS Stripes, [x] MPD1 Spoiler, [x] GM Heritage Grille. [x] Removed RS and Bowtie Emblems. [x] 30% Tinted Headlight Armour DRL's. [X ] Ruff Racing R954 Wheels [X] Solo Cat Back Mach X-LLT Exhaust [X ] Vmax Ported throttle body [x] Halo SC Reverse Hood Kit [x] Showstopper Painted, Modded Engine Cover [x] Cold Air Inductions CAI [x] Tinted Tails and Black Bezels [x] Megan Racing Street Series Coilovers [x] Belltech F&R Sways
Check out my build thread!
http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212178
KidKilowatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #74
damian559

Drives: 2015 1SS, 1LE, Recaro, NPP
To the people who use it all the time, why didn't you get a manual and save $1000?
12.1 @ 117 (Motor)
11.7 @ 129 (Nitrous)
Nitrous Outlet Single Nozzle Kit | Stand Alone Fuel Cell w/ C16 | Custom Grind Cam | Stainless Power 1 7/8 LT Headers | CAI Intake | ATI Super Damper | BMR Trailing Arms & Toe Links | Prothane Polyurethane Sub-frame Bushings | JDP Upper Control Arm Bushings | MT Drag Radials | Tuned by SS Motorsports
Youtube Channel:
Click Here
damian559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #75
lownslowss
PaPa Smurf

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Bad knee from mil. I can drive manual for about 15 minutes before it's time to stop and rest it.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #76
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Very rarely. I wish GM made it so you could use the shifter. In my Regal GS I push the shifter to the left and up and down shift. I use that more because of its location.
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #77
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian559 View Post
To the people who use it all the time, why didn't you get a manual and save $1000?
Wouldn't it be for mostly the same reasons people give for buying non paddle-shifted automatics (traffic, other drivers who can't/won't learn how to drive stick, physical limitations, etc.)?

The only difference is an unwillingness to let the AT take over the decisions about when to shift. FWIW, I don't even give non paddle shifted automatics that kind of authority on the infrequent times when I must drive an AT car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmokingSuns View Post
Just randomly when I am driving and decide that I want to use the paddle shifters. But then I feel dumb driving with two hands so I just go back to Sports mode.
Better that you only feel a little dumb for driving with two hands than be a lot dumb for driving with fewer than two hands at the wrong time (i.e. when anything sudden happens).

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:11 PM   #78
rlg2014SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS Red Hot
80% of the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlg2014SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #79
rlg2014SS

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS Red Hot
Got a shifter with shift buttons on it awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rlg2014SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:56 AM   #80
txthunder

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS White with Beige Top
damian559
sure trade me knees !

txthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:57 AM   #81
txthunder

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS White with Beige Top
Love when people just assume that people are lazy or do not know how to drive a stick.
txthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:07 AM   #82
CAMARO__13

Drives: CAMARO 13 Red
it's good bt sometimes it doesn't shift fast right away that's the point
CAMARO__13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:05 AM   #83
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Only when tracking or driving canyons. The car has learned my style in M mode so even that setting will downshift and hold gears now while driving.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:24 AM   #84
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by txthunder View Post
Love when people just assume that people are lazy
Laziness to some degree is human nature. When there is room for choice, people do tend to prefer doing less work if they can still get a result that's equally acceptable to them. For many people, the nitty-gritty details of operating the car from point A to point B are so uninteresting that the less they have to do to get from here to there, the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMARO__13 View Post
it's good bt sometimes it doesn't shift fast right away that's the point
Didn't think I was the only one who noticed the time lag between doing something to manually command an AT shift and the AT getting around to making the shift finally happen.

Many times, the AT may actually be getting the shift completed before you could complete a MT shift, but since you aren't doing something the whole time like you are with the MT it's easier to notice brief periods of "nothing's happened yet". . . . I doubt many MT drivers regularly pay much attention to the time it takes just to move the shift lever from one gear position to the neutral gate, or through it or across it toward the next gear.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011 camaro 1lt, auto camaro, paddle shifters