Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-02-2015, 06:20 AM   #71
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
Sorry for your loss, Jason... this really sucks.

Another suggestion for those who are looking for ways to defeat the scumbags is to install a creative kill switch. You can go as cheap or as expensive as you want to go, but it just needs to be able to disable the car in a way that even professional shitbags are not going to be familiar with. They know how to defeat electronic disabling systems, alarms, LoJack, OnStar, etc., because that's all pretty standard stuff. But if you (or a custom shop) can install a kill switch, say, one that disables the fuel pump, or cuts battery power to the starter, or whatever with a hidden switch, that's a little tougher. Make it so that you have to flick the high beam switch three times... or turn the AC on while holding the radio button... or just put a toggle switch in an unexpected area (or disguise the toggle switch as something else!). Be creative...

It won't stop tow thefts, and it won't stop the lucky thieves... but it IS likely to prevent SOME thefts.
This would be pretty easy to do as the primary hot to the FPCM is on the passenger side of the trunk behind the cloth panel. If you install a BAP, you frequently modify this wire anyway. You could even use a remote electric switch that opens a relay(I use them to arm my nitrous and line lock) and keep the remote on your keychain. If you DIY it, it would be around $50 and probably take an hour or two.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #72
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason2574 View Post
Well, I got a call from my insurance company this afternoon...

CHP called my insurance and let them know that they busted a chop shop in Rancho Cordova. In said shop was my engine, transmission and various other parts. Though the body of my car is still nowhere to be found

I pretty much knew this would be the outcome, but it still hurts when confronted with the fact.

Only thing left is to work out the ACV with the insurance and then move on. Sad end to my 5th gen life.

Make sure and take care of your 5th Gens guys and gals...you'll definitely miss them when they're gone.

Maybe I'll see you all on Camaro6.com in year or so...
very sorry to hear that...
Old 10-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #73
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
In said shop was my engine, transmission and various other parts. Though the body of my car is still nowhere to be found ...
Sorry for the tragic loss. Hope the insurance company pays you a reasonable amount for the car ... it would be nice if they let you keep the recovered engine and transmission as spares to use later in a replacement vehicle, making that car last twice as long.
My wife was in an accident recently, old Buick was totaled (didn't look too bad), the car had retail book value of $1700; the insurance company gave us a check for $5000 and let us keep a few parts. When they figured out the settlement amount they asked me if that was acceptable and I told them it was way more than I could ever imagine for that car. Some insurance companies are generous in situations like yours.
Ron
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #74
dmnhnters

Drives: 2010 SS
This is too late for the OP, but for the rest of us there is a company that has been in business since 1976 and claims they have never had a single vehicle stolen with their system installed properly. Ravelco has sold more than 4 million units.

http://www.ravelco.com/
dmnhnters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #75
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Give me a under hood schematic and I will defeat it in a few minutes. It has already been noted in this thread by another member, that he had to bypass one that a coworker had lost the key for. It is a good product but anything can be figured out. It will always break the same circuits so those will be the only ones that need to be known. Im going to design my own that will keep the electronics alive but will not pass enough current for the starter to operate, it will instead blow a low amp installed fuse. The starter current will need to pass through a parallel latching circuit that is triggered by a certain device or sequence of devices.

Last edited by Nor Cal ZL1; 10-02-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #76
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
This is so close to home. I live in Union City, which borders Fremont, CA.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #77
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
This is so close to home. I live in Union City, which borders Fremont, CA.
That entire area is high risk. From Walnutcreek/Pleasanton to San Jose is the high risk area, cars are being stolen from company parking garages, stores, driveways, just about any place. The cars are usually found stripped in Oakland. At a minimum I would install some kind of kill switch or pull a bunch of fuses or relays when parking in an unsecured area. In many cases it seems the cars are cased at car meets or some other method as some of the thefts the cars were not just sitting in plain view.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #78
cb66

Drives: 13 2SS/RS HWSE Camaro # 959
[QUOTE=jason2574;8649737]Thanks, everyone.

My six month OnStar trial ended a few months ago...though from what I hear OnStar doesn't always come to the rescue.

We'll see what happens...[

It does more than it does not.
Roto Fab CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder series exhaust , Elite Engineering catch can, Range AFM delete ,Oracle LED side marker lights ,Plasma LED DRL Lights & harness, LED License Plate bulbs, Xpel Ultimate paint protection film.
cb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #79
Nor Cal ZL1

[QUOTE=cb66;8666754]
Quote:
Thanks, everyone.

My six month OnStar trial ended a few months ago...though from what I hear OnStar doesn't always come to the rescue.

We'll see what happens...[

It does more than it does not.
On star is disconnected in a matter of a couple of screws.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #80
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman007 View Post
Sorry to hear that. Hope no one chops it.
Troy
They already found the drivetrain
So should be compeletely chopped

Brutal

I think i would rather find my car in tact in another country than find out its been stripped. Makes the crime that much more devastating
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 06:48 AM   #81
Bodywerks

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS/1LE
man, time to leave that commy, crime-ridden state!
HSA delete, VMAX throttle body, CAI inc. Intake, PRC255 heads, BTR 660 springs, BTR cryo-treated rockers, PAT G 232/240 .654/.626 110+2, johnson 2110's, Manton 502 pushrods, C5R, Melling high volume/high pressure, Powerbond 25% underdrive pulley, Proform covers, Kooks stepped headers, catless mids, Doug Thorley exhaust. 512rwhp, 446rwtq on a mustang dyno, tuned by Cunningham motorsports.
Bodywerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:40 AM   #82
Nor Cal ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnvhj View Post
Hi, all. Had my Camaro stolen last night in Fremont. Already posted this in the CA sub forum and reposting here for increased visibility.
This post is spam, copy and repost. Post has been reported as spam.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #83
drew peacock
Banned

Drives: 2012 2SS INFERNO ORANGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks View Post
man, time to leave that commy, crime-ridden state!
lol too true
i left the uk 11 years ago and will never go back
drew peacock is offline   Reply With Quote