Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-15-2015, 06:42 AM   #71
cvbmcb

Drives: ford
File a case with GM and get them involved or go to another dealer.
cvbmcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:45 AM   #72
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
The L99 has a different PCV system than the LS3 and has Active Fuel Management, so there are more things going on. How many miles on your engine?

We have a Suburban with an LC9 5.3 that starting using oil around 65K, around a qt per 1000 miles. We would see the most oil use on the highway. My conclusion after Googling the problem was the Active Fuel Management was the main culprit, with the PCV system a distant second. I bought the Range device. Using the Range device seems to be the answer: lock out 4-cyl mode. Oil use is about 1/3 qt per 1000 miles now (97K on the motor at this point). If I take the Range device out and run on the highway, oil consumption goes up. If you have the same pattern try it.

I wouldn't beat up on GM. Other cars, including expensive German cars, Toyotas, etc have had oil consumption issues with their motors. You'll get 250K out of that L99 if you want to, but it may take a little understanding.
I have 37k miles on it. Bought it a couple of months ago so I don't know how other owners treated it. It was GM certified when I bought it. If that means anything.
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #73
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by yescats View Post
I have 37k miles on it. Bought it a couple of months ago so I don't know how other owners treated it. It was GM certified when I bought it. If that means anything.
I would just change the oil to a quality synthetic as a first step and watch the consumption pattern.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #74
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakespeak View Post
I would just change the oil to a quality synthetic as a first step and watch the consumption pattern.
The sticker on the window says it was changed at a Chevy dealership under the Certified Maintenance program. But it just became ready for another one now according to the milage on the sticker
Old 10-15-2015, 01:18 PM   #75
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Chevrolet will only suggest or change oil to what is requested for it. Synthetic is not suggested so they will not change it to synthetic unless you request and pay for it. I personally use Mobil 1 synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter in my V6. I also use 93 gas because i read that it helps with the extra "overshooting" of pistons during hard driving which pulls and stretches the chain. I can be totally off but to me i feel more comfortable lol.

My question would be, if someone bought new forged pistons, would that help with some of the oil use in the V6? Or is this mainly for strength during really hard driving?

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #76
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Ah yes the dreaded LLT bearing issue strikes again. Well I can say congrats and welcome to the club. Had mine blow at 42,000 miles due to a spun rod bearing which destroyed the crank and pretty much the bottom of the motor. I was still within warranty so the dealer replaced the motor.
If I were you I wouldnt leave the showroom floor till they warrantied the work. Don't bother filing a case with GM as they wont do anything about it if the dealer already blamed it on something you did.
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #77
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by yescats View Post
The sticker on the window says it was changed at a Chevy dealership under the Certified Maintenance program. But it just became ready for another one now according to the milage on the sticker
What does the "Oil Life %" in the DIC say?
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:28 PM   #78
yescats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
Chevrolet will only suggest or change oil to what is requested for it. Synthetic is not suggested so they will not change it to synthetic unless you request and pay for it. I personally use Mobil 1 synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter in my V6. I also use 93 gas because i read that it helps with the extra "overshooting" of pistons during hard driving which pulls and stretches the chain. I can be totally off but to me i feel more comfortable lol.

My question would be, if someone bought new forged pistons, would that help with some of the oil use in the V6? Or is this mainly for strength during really hard driving?
I'm not sure what the hell this means! From the manual...

"Specification When dexos™ Oil
Not Available (V8 Engine)
This vehicle's engine requires a
special oil meeting GM Standard
GM4718M. Oils meeting this
standard may be identified as
synthetic. However, not all synthetic
oils will meet this GM standard.
Use only an oil that meets GM
Standard GM4718M."