Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 05-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #71
Megawatts

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
I was just told by my Dealer that the buzzy exhuast that rattles is Normal.
GM told them that.
I would suggest having them drive one of their Camaro's on the lot to compare yours against. My tech wasn't necessarily convinced of the buzzing noise until we took a ride in my car, then immediately in one off their lot as a point of comparison. Once he heard the noise in mine, then not in the one off their lot, he was convinced that something was wrong with the system.
Megawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:58 PM   #72
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfordCamaro View Post
I was just told by my Dealer that the buzzy exhuast that rattles is Normal.
GM told them that.
I believe they said that but don't believe it should buzz like that. It is a $895 performance exhaust option. I had the same thing on my 2013 1LE but the NPP valves were vacuum controlled instead of electronic valves. For me, the buzz/rattle is more pronounced when the valves are closed/partially closed. When they open up the rattle seems to go away or it is just not audible over the competing exhaust notes.

If I set it to track mode it is less pronounced, I think basically because in Track mode the valves stay open much more often. I am thinking I will just see if I can pull the fuse for now until we have a real fix from GM.
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:14 PM   #73
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
I believe they said that but don't believe it should buzz like that. It is a $895 performance exhaust option. I had the same thing on my 2013 1LE but the NPP valves were vacuum controlled instead of electronic valves. For me, the buzz/rattle is more pronounced when the valves are closed/partially closed. When they open up the rattle seems to go away or it is just not audible over the competing exhaust notes.

If I set it to track mode it is less pronounced, I think basically because in Track mode the valves stay open much more often. I am thinking I will just see if I can pull the fuse for now until we have a real fix from GM.
My first Camaro had issues here and I pulled the fuse. My new replace car seems good so far after 1500 miles. Time will tell.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #74
AutoPilot

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileysj View Post
Did anyone else Private Message Chevy Customer Service on here. Have they gotten back to you?
Hey Riley, did GM Customer service ever get back to you on this or did you just take it in to your dealer?
Old 10-05-2016, 02:10 PM   #75
andrisek

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Any new updates to this issue? I'm having the same "tin can" buzzing sound on the passenger side rear. My 2016 2SS only has 2200 miles on it and I noticed it almost immediately after purchase.
andrisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:54 PM   #76
NY Andrew

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Fully Loaded
Don't even bother. Mine was in the shop and they couldn't hear anything. Until there's a recall were $&@!?$
My 2016 Camaro Bose Subwoofer Install
2016 Camaro V6 Stock to Borla Atak Exhaust Sound
2016 Camaro V6 Resonator & X-Pipe Replace with Midpipe & Borla Atak
NY Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #77
masterpier
Darth Camaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS White
Hey folks

I use Android Auto extensively in my vehicles. Recently discovered that Infotainment system was not up to date and was not able to pull up Android Auto. So took car to dealer and although system was updated, something behind the head unit is rattling badly will need to take it back to them to fix.
masterpier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:03 AM   #78
Masa

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
There is an audible rattle that at times sounds like metal on metal or a grinding metallic sound on acceleration. It is intermittent and comes from the right rear of the car and sounds like it's coming directly from the right rear tail pipe where the valve is located. While I can't definitively say that it is the valve because I have not yet mounted a camera down there, it is definitely not a normal exhaust note and some of the characteristics of the problem indicate it has something to do with the valve. I had three exhausts on my last Mustang and there was no noise even remotely close to this rattle or metal grinding sound. This is clearly a defect of some sort.

I took my car into the shop today for an appointment and they basically said if they can't duplicate it they can't fix it as per Chevy/GM. I took the service manager out for a test drive and he was able to hear the same rattling noise. He found an issue in his system that had something to do with the ceramic pin and using an epoxy. Unfortunately the fix they put in place did not resolve it.

This is a brand new Camaro 2ss with no more than 1500 miles on it. there's no way in hell I'm going to accept a brand new car with a rattling exhaust. I will be contacting GM directly and escalating this. One way or the other it will get fixed or they can take the car back. I did not buy a Camaro to inherit a rattling exhaust. I expect many of you feel the same way.

With that said this is what I have been able to determine might be the cause so far. First thing to know, my car is an automatic. When the car is traveling at speeds such as 50 miles per hour and you let off the accelerator and allow the RPM to drop to about a thousand RPM and then depress the accelerator, you can often duplicate the sound. It is much easier to duplicate the rattle when the car is in a very low RPM and you're coasting at a higher speed. It doesn't seem to really matter what mode you are in. For example in track mode with tack exhaust, if you let off the accelerator and the car is doing about 50 miles per hour and the RPMs drop to 1000 RPM and then you accelerate you can create the metal vibrating or grinding sound. In this particular instance it sounds as though the valve is not opening because if you press heavily on the accelerator you then get the natural raw exhaust sound instead of some metallic grinding sound. That has happened to me several time in track exhaust mode. I'm in a lower p.m. and then I step on the accelerator and I get a grinding noise before the actual exhaust note kicks in. It's an awful metallic grinding. Definitely some significant issue with the exhaust.

I was a bit disappointed to find out that so many people are experiencing the same thing and there does not seem to be a fix at this point. The first thing I'll be getting GM to do is replace the entire exhaust.

With that said I was able to capture a video one time where the car was idle and the vibrating metallic sound was occurring. This is only happened one time in idle mode, but it is definitely the same sound you get when you accelerate . I suspect the valve is having a problem opening because often enough in track exhaust mode you get the same rattle sound before the exhaust opens up and the natural exhaust sound expels. This problem is intermittent it is difficult to capture on a regular basis. Video links below. The same as most of you guys, my issue occurs more often than not when I'm accelerating and not in idle mode.

https://youtu.be/ydBbrmlRDTw

https://youtu.be/SmrTR869jzA

I'm not sure if there is more than one issue here with the exhaust. This video demonstrates there's definitely some kind of internal rattle and it most likely sounds like the valve because I did take a look down below when it was occurring.I couldn't find anything that was loose. It sounds like it's coming from within the exhaust and particularly right around where the valve is. However the issue I encounter in track exhaust mode is similar, but it's almost as though the valve won't open you get the same rattling or grinding and then when you stomp on it it opens and then you get the nice natural exhaust sound. I don't know. It's possible the exhaust is defective. I'm going to talk to GM and see what they have to say about it, but this definitely has to be fixed. Alternatively they can replace it with an aftermarket exhaust as long as they don't void my warranty. I don't care either way but I won't be driving the car with this sound coming out back even though I do love the Camaro.

If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it. Thanks so much for your help. Sorry about the grammar and spelling. My voice dictation sucks!

Last edited by Masa; 02-01-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Masa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:58 PM   #79
RussellCamaro16

Drives: 1LT RS
I have this same issue on my RS. It has now been in the shop 5 times to fix it. They have even replaced the door panels. No fix can be figured out and GM has even been notified. They released a bulletin for this issue and it did not work. I am hoping they find the issue because it is constant while driving and even if you try to drown it out by the radio it just makes it worse. One dealer said it was the seatbelt retractor but I have the sound still after fixing it on both sides. This has been the WROST car I have ever owned! 20+ issues going on with mine. All the issues I have seen online that people are having with theirs mine has/had them. No joke.
RussellCamaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #80
AROD11889

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 A10 Summit White
Found the source of the noise!
Have same noise vibration issue and is not NPP exhaust noises neither is the rear side speaker or panel, this rattling noise only happens from 1,200RPM-1,500rpm and can be replicated on Neutral while accelerating to these RPMs. The sound is coming from the rear passenger seat, if you put your hand on the seat while reving the car in idle you will feel the vibration as if something below the car is hitting the chassis. Guess what that’s where the Fuel tank is. Got under the car have my buddy(mechanic) hear the noise from underneath the car while I rev it, and hear it coming from the top of the fuel tank. So he removed the screws on the fuel tAnk brackets that hold up the tank while the car is been reved, tank starts to lower, Vibration noise fades away the lower the tank goes away from the chassi of the car. Put the tank back up the rattling noise comes back. It seems GM has identified this as a “Fuel Feed Pipe” that is right in between the tank and the chassis causing noise while car is on and engine is reving to rattle against the chasi. Car is going to the dealer on Tuesday 12/26 with the noise already pin pointed with exact locations tank will have to come off to see the fuel lines must be loose.

My car is a 2017 Camaro SS 1LE with 8k miles on it and noise started about a week ago very subtle, now is extremely noticeable. Will keep you guys posted for the Problem Solved solution.
AROD11889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:19 PM   #81
NY Andrew

Drives: 2016 Camaro V6 2LT RS Fully Loaded
That’s sick. I believe it I’ve always thought it comes from the same spot. But sometimes I feel like it’s evenly on both sides of the car though when music bass hits....not sure what that would be seems like it’s inside the trunk side compartments I don’t know.. Keep us updated for sure!!! Maybe you’ll have a bulletin created! Thanks. Merry Christmas!
My 2016 Camaro Bose Subwoofer Install
2016 Camaro V6 Stock to Borla Atak Exhaust Sound
2016 Camaro V6 Resonator & X-Pipe Replace with Midpipe & Borla Atak
NY Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #82
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AROD11889 View Post
Found the source of the noise!
Have same noise vibration issue and is not NPP exhaust noises neither is the rear side speaker or panel, this rattling noise only happens from 1,200RPM-1,500rpm and can be replicated on Neutral while accelerating to these RPMs. The sound is coming from the rear passenger seat, if you put your hand on the seat while reving the car in idle you will feel the vibration as if something below the car is hitting the chassis. Guess what that’s where the Fuel tank is. Got under the car have my buddy(mechanic) hear the noise from underneath the car while I rev it, and hear it coming from the top of the fuel tank. So he removed the screws on the fuel tAnk brackets that hold up the tank while the car is been reved, tank starts to lower, Vibration noise fades away the lower the tank goes away from the chassi of the car. Put the tank back up the rattling noise comes back. It seems GM has identified this as a “Fuel Feed Pipe” that is right in between the tank and the chassis causing noise while car is on and engine is reving to rattle against the chasi. Car is going to the dealer on Tuesday 12/26 with the noise already pin pointed with exact locations tank will have to come off to see the fuel lines must be loose.

My car is a 2017 Camaro SS 1LE with 8k miles on it and noise started about a week ago very subtle, now is extremely noticeable. Will keep you guys posted for the Problem Solved solution.
Well, you somewhat confirmed my suspicion that the fuel feed pipe may be causing a metal on metal clanking noise when hitting bumps. A little background ... I ripped the rear seats out, removed the sidewall speaker panel, climbed under the car shook what I could etc. and nothing conclusive other than the noise seems to be coming from the passenger wheel well area. I’m thinking of pulling the passenger wheel and removing the wheel well liner to inspect... that’s if the feed pipe can be seen from there..does anyone know?
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:41 PM   #83
AROD11889

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 A10 Summit White
Merry Christmas!

Update! Dealer called said the Fuel Pump and Fuel Feed Pipe is causing the “pulsation” vibration at high loads and will be replaced under warranty, he said he literally sees the Fuel pump vibrate at 1,200-1,500 Rpm, anyways fuel tank is off the car Fuel pump has been ordered overnight should have car back by Friday afternoon hopefully with zero noise and rattles.����
AROD11889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #84
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AROD11889 View Post
Merry Christmas!

Update! Dealer called said the Fuel Pump and Fuel Feed Pipe is causing the “pulsation” vibration at high loads and will be replaced under warranty, he said he literally sees the Fuel pump vibrate at 1,200-1,500 Rpm, anyways fuel tank is off the car Fuel pump has been ordered overnight should have car back by Friday afternoon hopefully with zero noise and rattles.����
Nice! keep us updated on whether the fix worked or not..
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote