Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #71
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Drives: Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmaro214 View Post
have you considered leasing the vehicle, you wouldnt be paying a huge amount, and in 3 or 4 years when your reading to buy a home or whenver, you can make a decision on cost factor, if the car and house would be too much. you could give the car up then, or buy it fully with whatever the value would be at the time. they only prob is mileage, gotta keep it down.
Leasing the Camaro? Leasing is a BAD idea in todays market. Residuals SUCK, interest rates are usually to high. Don't LEASE.. you will regret it.
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:03 PM   #72
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoneriggs View Post
I personally agree with hawk x7. Make a nice down payment on the car. Own the car and take your time looking for a place. You can decide to buy a house and still have it take well over a year, to find exactly what you want. For all you know you could find an awesome soulmate in 3 months that already owns a house

ps) owning camaro may help find above soulmate even faster
QFT
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #73
mrcowboy

Drives: SS Camaro RJT
I half expect to see a "Camaro Vs. Kidney Transplant" thread coming up...
Old 10-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #74
Stewcam

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcowboy View Post
we have worn out this one...................
Stewcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:01 PM   #75
Stewcam

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
YES YES YES!
I'm a R/E agent and even though the market is now down that will change.
More than an investment, a home is a Hedge against inflation!(as the above poster mentioned).
Don't buy a condo/townhouse, reason $ per square foot is crazy then add the H/O fees (crazier), plus as you get older you'll want more privacy (or pick up the guitar like me).
Please show your facts/charts of a home purchase (all-in costs) as a hedge against inflation. Typically commodities (oil, gold, etc) are hedges against inflation.
Stewcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #76
P. Ham

Drives: IOM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcowboy View Post
You never know! GM has really done something right with this car to put me in such a quandary.

To summarize this thread:
  • I'd be a fool not to get a house first. It's a buyers market.
  • Buying a house in Texas may not be as big of an advantage as other areas.
    (property taxes and constant growth....especially San Antonio new subdivions popping up all over keeping existing house prices down.)
  • Stay away from HOAs!
  • You pay more per sq. ft. for Condos or town-homes and they're harder to sell and lack privacy.
  • You can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house!
Thanks again I really appreciate everyones comments.

As snizzle said, it's passion vs. investment.

P. Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #77
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewcam View Post
Please show your facts/charts of a home purchase (all-in costs) as a hedge against inflation. Typically commodities (oil, gold, etc) are hedges against inflation.
Simply put, once the economy turns around the flood of money in the marketplace will devalue the $. Interest rates will climb. Prices will rise including rents. A home purchased now will hedge against this.
Sorry no charts.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 06:53 PM   #78
CamaroSS_LS3

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM/IOM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Ham View Post
You never know! GM has really done something right with this car to put me in such a quandary.

To summarize this thread:
  • I'd be a fool not to get a house first. It's a buyers market.
  • Buying a house in Texas may not be as big of an advantage as other areas.
    (property taxes and constant growth....especially San Antonio new subdivions popping up all over keeping existing house prices down.)
  • Stay away from HOAs!
  • You pay more per sq. ft. for Condos or town-homes and they're harder to sell and lack privacy.
  • You can sleep in your car, but you can't drive your house!
Thanks again I really appreciate everyones comments.

As snizzle said, it's passion vs. investment.

OK now that you understand that buying a house first before buying a car is the smarter more responsible thing to do, most of us would understand if you go week and throw caution to the wind and buy the Camaro. It is a hard car to resist.

No Mod's love it just the way it is.

CamaroSS_LS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #79
P. Ham

Drives: IOM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS_LS3 View Post
...most of us would understand if you go week and throw caution to the wind and buy the Camaro. It is a hard car to resist.
THANK YOU!!! I haven't made up my mind and I don't have much time left before my order goes through. I just found out there's about two people ahead of me so I have to make a decision like soon. Pressure!
P. Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:50 PM   #80
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Ok on last time, But I do have to respond to this. What you said is half true, BUUUUUUUUTTT Consider the alternative. If one have a (when all is said and done) $1800 month morgage payment for 30 years, roughly half of it goes to the actual principle on the home, the other half is burn away in propety taxes, intrest rates, insurance etc... (this is stilll excluding maintenance). Do the math, no matter how one spins it, The home owner looses more money over a 30 year period than one who rents. The cost of Property taxes + intrest rates + insurance... adds easily up to the cost of renting an apartment. That is money being spent out of pocket that one would not see a return on at all. The point is that renting AND investing is more efficient purley from a finacial stand point. Lets say assuming that the home owner pays $900 to the actual principle of the home and $900 goes to property taxes and Interest rates and insurances a month etc.. (this still excludes 30 years of maintenance).. IN CONTRAST to the one who rents $900 a month and invest the other $900 towards a roth IRA and 401k etc.. The point is Both the home owner and one who rents burn through roughly the same amount of money they will not see a return on (rent goes toward nothing and Property taxes, insurance, interest rates burns away aswell). The One who rents has more income free to invest than the home owner. IF one looks at a house as more that a finacial investment, i.e. as a place one raise a family then it makes sense. From a purely finacial standpoint it is a terible investment. see my point.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #81
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Two words:

Camaro Now!
Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #82
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Ok. I read your first part.

Get ready to mow a lawn....or the HOA will be banging on your door.

LEARN how to fix a garage door. Dude...it's really simple.

The AC? Don't try it. Call someone...and get ready to pay someone to fix it. That is, unless, you buy the appliance warranty from someone and have it done for either free or next to nothing.

Maintaining a house is easy. But, even better advice?....buy NEW. That way, you don't have to buy someone else's problems. You KNOW what you are getting. Oh...and if you are a first time buyer, don't forget about your tax break. In fact, our wonderful gov't is currently thinking about raising that tax break so you can get more back right off the bat.
+1 and the raised the the tax break on that...dammit! i bought my first house a year and a half ago.
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:03 PM   #83
1o.f00t.570rk
Tall Guy

Drives: '11 LS SGM, '96 BK, '88 S10
1o.f00t.570rk is offline   Reply With Quote