Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #71
CrazyRED

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
Good news! FYI..when I did my brass trunnion upgrade I had similar experience. Some were hard to press out the old trunnion, some "almost fell out"..pressing the brass bushing in all required similar effort tho some a bit more..on those I notice a little brass shaving on the outside..I figured the trunnion inner edge was sharper than others...any hoot they all work....peace out...
Well it wasn't that it was hard to press the brass, it was that the trunnion was completely bound up, we couldn't rotate it at all inside of the rocker. We're just gonna completely replace the rockers and not screw around with unknowns.
CrazyRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #72
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen 6.2 View Post
Great that you found all of the bearings and materials that went with it!
Very good, it's nice piece of mind to know there's not something sitting in there waiting to break loose
Old 05-08-2017, 08:36 PM   #73
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
Well it wasn't that it was hard to press the brass, it was that the trunnion was completely bound up, we couldn't rotate it at all inside of the rocker. We're just gonna completely replace the rockers and not screw around with unknowns.
You going with the stockers again?
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:23 AM   #74
autoguy

Drives: 10 SS,11 SS Pace, 13 ZL1 IOM
Ummm....WOW!! I just saw this. Just read all 6 pages. I sold him the car. Like he said, I owned it for probably less than 200-300 miles. I bought it from a dealer on 11/14/16. Shipped it to him on 2/24/17. It had 3,832 or so miles when I bought it. Drove it, looked it over four times, ran carfax, etc. I drove the car home from the dealer and it went directly to my garage. I think I drove it 2 or 3 times total. I saw a listing for someone looking for an M6 SS and I replied. I sold the car only knowing I bought a 4k miles clean 1LE with a clean carfax, and sold it in better condition than I bought it. No, I didn't change the Oil, because the dealer did, and I only drove it a couple hundred miles. And, I honestly don't think it was ever at 100% throttle while I owned it. I do not baby my cars, but I am very particular about them, so I do not beat them either. When I sold the car, it was represented exactly as I knew it and believed it was. A 4,000 mile original car. The Paint was just subject to a $300 correction and three coats of Zaino. I guarantee that car never looked better than the minute I loaded it on the trailer to ship it. It is unfortunate that this happened, but I did not own the car for the first 3,800 of its 4,100 miles. The only 'Mods" I did to the car were tinting the windows and side markers. Otherwise, 1100% bone stock. I am glad everything worked out for Brandon. Again, it was legit from the first words we had, and I would not change a thing other than hoping this would not have happened in the first place. Some things are totally random, and I heard nothing or felt nothing that would make me fell anything was out of line. If I did, I never would have bought it in the first place.
autoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #75
'01LS1

Drives: 2003 Pete
Sucks this happened to the o/p & thanks for the sharing the story while keeping a level head. Not thinking I could have, but guess it happens. Glad you have the resources to go through the motor like this & not be subject to a long drawn out dealership nightmare.
'01LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:54 PM   #76
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoguy View Post
Ummm....WOW!! I just saw this. Just read all 6 pages. I sold him the car. Like he said, I owned it for probably less than 200-300 miles. I bought it from a dealer on 11/14/16. Shipped it to him on 2/24/17. It had 3,832 or so miles when I bought it. Drove it, looked it over four times, ran carfax, etc. I drove the car home from the dealer and it went directly to my garage. I think I drove it 2 or 3 times total. I saw a listing for someone looking for an M6 SS and I replied. I sold the car only knowing I bought a 4k miles clean 1LE with a clean carfax, and sold it in better condition than I bought it. No, I didn't change the Oil, because the dealer did, and I only drove it a couple hundred miles. And, I honestly don't think it was ever at 100% throttle while I owned it. I do not baby my cars, but I am very particular about them, so I do not beat them either. When I sold the car, it was represented exactly as I knew it and believed it was. A 4,000 mile original car. The Paint was just subject to a $300 correction and three coats of Zaino. I guarantee that car never looked better than the minute I loaded it on the trailer to ship it. It is unfortunate that this happened, but I did not own the car for the first 3,800 of its 4,100 miles. The only 'Mods" I did to the car were tinting the windows and side markers. Otherwise, 1100% bone stock. I am glad everything worked out for Brandon. Again, it was legit from the first words we had, and I would not change a thing other than hoping this would not have happened in the first place. Some things are totally random, and I heard nothing or felt nothing that would make me fell anything was out of line. If I did, I never would have bought it in the first place.
Yeah I had your back man, I didn't think anything shady went on between us. I would love to know how the first few thousand miles went down though. I might be a little concerned about the dealer that said that oil was changed though. The oil I saw come out of that thing hadn't been changed in a long time, if ever. It was watery consistency and had little to no lubrication left in it and black and crusty.

It's all good now though, the engine was completely torn down and cleaned. It looks like a brand new crate engine now. The whole top end has been rebuilt with new parts except the actual heads, they were cleaned and milled. I'm waiting on the intake to be ported and then everything will be reassembled dyno tuned, driven for a couple miles and oil changed again.

I'll send you a video of it when its done like I said I would, it's been a long process.

I'm Mike by the way lol

Last edited by CrazyRED; 05-09-2017 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #77
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
You going with the stockers again?
Yeah I'm gonna stick with oem rockers for now. They're more than enough for what I'm doing at the moment and they're easy enough to change out once I need something better.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:03 PM   #78
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by '01LS1 View Post
Sucks this happened to the o/p & thanks for the sharing the story while keeping a level head. Not thinking I could have, but guess it happens. Glad you have the resources to go through the motor like this & not be subject to a long drawn out dealership nightmare.
Well, I was upset at first, but I didn't have anybody to really be upset with. I was almost certain that the person that sold me the car didn't do anything wrong and honestly after I thought about it critically I realized I actually caught a huge break by tearing into the motor immediately after I bought it. If I had even waited another 100 miles I may have been writing a story about how I was replacing a 4000 mile engine.

So all in all hopefully this is an eye opener for anybody on the fence about doing the brass bushing replacement. It's super easy to do and it's great insurance for your engine. If I ever own another LS3 it will be an immediate modification just like this one. I was originally skeptical about the rockers failing like that, but not anymore lol
Old 05-09-2017, 05:08 PM   #79
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Glad everything is working out. Very impressed with the seller coming forward. Its not easy on a public forum....keeping opinions and conspiracies under control.
Its the kind of things that happen in the used car world....especially with performance automobiles.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #80
autoguy

Drives: 10 SS,11 SS Pace, 13 ZL1 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRED View Post
Yeah I had your back man, I didn't think anything shady went on between us. I would love to know how the first few thousand miles went down though. I might be a little concerned about the dealer that said that oil was changed though. The oil I saw come out of that thing hadn't been changed in a long time, if ever. It was watery consistency and had little to no lubrication left in it and black and crusty.

It's all good now though, the engine was completely torn down and cleaned. It looks like a brand new crate engine now. The whole top end has been rebuilt with new parts except the actual heads, they were cleaned and milled. I'm waiting on the intake to be ported and then everything will be reassembled dyno tuned, driven for a couple miles and oil changed again.

I'll send you a video of it when its done like I said I would, it's been a long process.

I'm Mike by the way lol
Sorry Mike, Brandon is the guy I bought my grey ZL1 from...LOL Too many deals lately. I'm settled now with my Inferno ZL1!
autoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #81
theflea42
#938 of 1524

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels Edition Camaro
I bought my car sight unseen also. I wasn't looking to buy anything, but I like to surf around the internet and see what's out there for sale. The owner put it up on autotrader, and I felt the price was a bit too steep, and I think that's why it was for sale for so long. From the time I found it on autotrader, it was up for sale for almost a year before I grabbed it. The price came down, and I said it was time I buy myself something nice! The previous owner bought the car brand new and he just had the car's first oil change right before I went to get it.

I'm glad that everything is gonna be ok!
theflea42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #82
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Glad everything is working out. Very impressed with the seller coming forward. Its not easy on a public forum....keeping opinions and conspiracies under control.
Its the kind of things that happen in the used car world....especially with performance automobiles.
Yes, absolutely! I think I said it from the beginning, I didn't want this to be a witch hunt. I just wanted to come out and bring this rocker situation more in the forefront. It amazes me how people(including me) will deny something out of the ordinary is happening until it happens to them.

I think this situation is a good example of how bad this situation is. There's no way an engine with 4000 miles or less should ever have a rocker failure like this. It is absolutely a manufactures issue and it's a shame they won't acknowledge it.

However, I am super excited to have a dedicated race car build in the works and I have a great start with basically a better than new engine and I even added some new rear suspension mods. I'm ready to melt some rubber of this thing.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:47 PM   #83
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoguy View Post
Sorry Mike, Brandon is the guy I bought my grey ZL1 from...LOL Too many deals lately. I'm settled now with my Inferno ZL1!
Too bad we didn't live closer, I'd love to run that ZL1 against my car as soon as it gets out of the garage.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #84
CrazyRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflea42 View Post
I bought my car sight unseen also. I wasn't looking to buy anything, but I like to surf around the internet and see what's out there for sale. The owner put it up on autotrader, and I felt the price was a bit too steep, and I think that's why it was for sale for so long. From the time I found it on autotrader, it was up for sale for almost a year before I grabbed it. The price came down, and I said it was time I buy myself something nice! The previous owner bought the car brand new and he just had the car's first oil change right before I went to get it.

I'm glad that everything is gonna be ok!
I'm glad everything worked out for you as well, it's such a great feeling to get a good deal

I've never been burnt on a site unseen deal, I put a lot of time into the transaction speaking with the owner and reading between the lines. Even after this current set back I don't feel like I was burnt because autoguy didn't know anything about this situation