Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 03-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #71
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
tks! My GM mech buddy has a set that he said I can try out...so next time!
Old 03-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #72
frankwjr

so here is my last best run from yesterday...gettin closer to 11's and continuing my goal of improving every visit to the track...
Old 03-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #73
Kopterman

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
you may want to consider startin your own thread just to keep stuff straight, don't mind the jack to help out...

what suspension mods to you have? wheel hop breaks axles and lower T/A's and rear sub-frame bushing upgrade helps with this...I have launched as high as 6000....the 1LE axles are a great intermediate upgrade before going aftermarket..good luck!
I thought 1LE axles were the same as SS axles?
Kopterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #74
frankwjr

the outer hub is larger as is the axle stub/nut...for me an intermediate upgrade until I actually need after market HP axles...when I scored them off of eBay awhile back for $100ea shipped w/low miles figured it was a no brainer...while I was in there is when the sub-frame inserts, T/A's/bushings went in along with new axle seals..plus I have the old SS axles in case I f up one...cheap insur. peace(of mind!)
Old 03-11-2018, 12:25 PM   #75
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Great video, thanks for sharing!
Old 03-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #76
frankwjr

so a couple of items...first..did you know that there is a second way to red light? If u pre-stage to shallow and the car rolls back out of the beam...red light. weird it only happened to me on the right lane 2x...left lane zero probs and I try to to it exactly the same way ea time...like a golf swing, lol.

2nd I re-found out the hard way what happens when you hit the limiter...my understanding GM prog the car to go into a 60 sec 6600 max rpm...now if u have HP tuners my understanding is this can be turned off...since I am still workin with dynoSteve on my tunes...he leaves it on but he graciously sent me a new tune file with the rev limiter set higher.

WOW!
Old 03-13-2018, 04:41 PM   #77
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
so a couple of items...first..did you know that there is a second way to red light? If u pre-stage to shallow and the car rolls back out of the beam...red light.
WOW!
They don't want folks backing up and then taking a big running start as the tree comes down. Another reason I like the e-brake preload, it keeps the car exactly where I want it till I'm ready to leave. Otherwise you do risk creeping forward or back with a stick car.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:30 PM   #78
frankwjr

Old 03-17-2018, 03:43 PM   #79
frankwjr

so weather report has tomorrow in the mid 50's and sunny! got my bud's rim/tire's on and was able to go out and get a couple of test hits on them...hook real nice on the street at 30 psi so the track hopefully will hold some power....
Name:  IMG_20180317_150425907.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  403.8 KB
Name:  IMG_20180317_150437793.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  162.1 KB

only prob is these are almost 30 in high and freaked the ABS...so pulled 40 and 43....bong bong bong...good to go..nice now havin not to hold down the dang TC button every freakin time before a run.

Will post updates and vids later tomorrow....peace
Old 03-17-2018, 08:12 PM   #80
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Frank a line lock would stop you from rolling when staged. You could rev to your desired RPM once staged, then release the line lock and clutch to launch.

It would also make your burnouts easier/better.

Not too expensive of a mod either. I got the TCI from Summit for $154. About 1 1/2 hours to install.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:55 PM   #81
frankwjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Frank a line lock would stop you from rolling when staged. You could rev to your desired RPM once staged, then release the line lock and clutch to launch.

It would also make your burnouts easier/better.

Not too expensive of a mod either. I got the TCI from Summit for $154. About 1 1/2 hours to install.
? agreed line lock can help depending on circumstances...my red light issue was with the pre-stage bulb...once I get in..gettin my rev's up and bumpin in has not been an issue..

as for burnout..my 2nd gear 6500+ rpm get's the wheel spin up and once I feel the tires start to grip I immediately clutch in and roll up...any more burn out than that is a complete waste of tire and is mostly for show...

now if I had an auto..def would get a line lock...peace
Old 03-18-2018, 06:43 AM   #82
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
? agreed line lock can help depending on circumstances...my red light issue was with the pre-stage bulb...once I get in..gettin my rev's up and bumpin in has not been an issue..

as for burnout..my 2nd gear 6500+ rpm get's the wheel spin up and once I feel the tires start to grip I immediately clutch in and roll up...any more burn out than that is a complete waste of tire and is mostly for show...

now if I had an auto..def would get a line lock...peace
I understood you red lighted from rolling backwards, a line lock would prevent this from occurring.

I have an auto, the only reason I got the line lock is because with my stalled converter, doing a footbrake burnout became more difficult to do consistently. I don't try to "roast" the tires to a big smoke show, but do need to get some smoke off them to ensure they are heated properly so they hook. The line lock not only makes this easier, but easier to do consistently.

If I had a manual, a line lock would have been one of the first mods I did for drag racing, because you have 3 pedals but only two feet. A line lock allows you to use two feet for two pedals, without having to switch over to the brake with one of them.

Not saying you can't burnout or stage with a manual without a line lock, just saying it can make it easier and more consistent. And you'll never roll backwards to red light.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:05 PM   #83
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
I understood you red lighted from rolling backwards, a line lock would prevent this from occurring.

I have an auto, the only reason I got the line lock is because with my stalled converter, doing a footbrake burnout became more difficult to do consistently. I don't try to "roast" the tires to a big smoke show, but do need to get some smoke off them to ensure they are heated properly so they hook. The line lock not only makes this easier, but easier to do consistently.

If I had a manual, a line lock would have been one of the first mods I did for drag racing, because you have 3 pedals but only two feet. A line lock allows you to use two feet for two pedals, without having to switch over to the brake with one of them.

Not saying you can't burnout or stage with a manual without a line lock, just saying it can make it easier and more consistent. And you'll never roll backwards to red light.
Joe - I'll share my thoughts. The line lock really isn't needed for the burnout - it's really not very difficult to let out the clutch and the jump to the brake. It wouldn't hurt either though, sort of a personal preference thing there I guess. I guess if you're trying to do 30 second tire melting smoke shows then it keeps the back brakes alive, but for a typical 5 second warm up it's not needed IMO.

For staging I definitely would rather use the E-brake than a line lock - the line-lock is holding wrong axle. With a manual, putting a light preload against the driveline is very beneficial as you take some of the shock out of the launch, which helps the launch, and helps the parts live a little longer life. I suppose you could accomplish that with the line lock, but I like being able to control the application and release of the brake, rather than having it all or nothing. It lets me creep into the full stage beam gently.

I guess it all boils down to personal preference - just sharing an alternative viewpoint.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #84
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Joe - I'll share my thoughts. The line lock really isn't needed for the burnout - it's really not very difficult to let out the clutch and the jump to the brake. It wouldn't hurt either though, sort of a personal preference thing there I guess. I guess if you're trying to do 30 second tire melting smoke shows then it keeps the back brakes alive, but for a typical 5 second warm up it's not needed IMO.

For staging I definitely would rather use the E-brake than a line lock - the line-lock is holding wrong axle. With a manual, putting a light preload against the driveline is very beneficial as you take some of the shock out of the launch, which helps the launch, and helps the parts live a little longer life. I suppose you could accomplish that with the line lock, but I like being able to control the application and release of the brake, rather than having it all or nothing. It lets me creep into the full stage beam gently.

I guess it all boils down to personal preference - just sharing an alternative viewpoint.

I'm sure the e-brake works when staging. I've seen people in manuals use it, and also a line lock.

For burnouts, I just think the line lock makes it so much easier and consistent. Also by not having to apply the brake to hold the car for a few seconds, it provides less wear on the rear brake pads, and is not as hard on the differential.

I've read the line lock I use releases in 3-1000th's of a second after you let go of the button. That's pretty quick.

The level of hold you get from the line lock is also dependent on how far you depress the brake pedal before activating it.

If I was driving a manual, I just like the idea of right foot gas/left foot clutch that the line lock offers when doing a burnout or staging. It's not very expensive and works really well.

Just thought it would be a good option for keeping the car from rolling backwards and red-lighting as Frank mentioned he had done twice.

To each his own, if the e-brake works for you that's great. There two guys with manual gen5 Camaro's that come to the strip I frequent. Both of them have the same mods, except one has a line lock. The guy who has a line lock always does a more consistent burnout, he also launches more consistently.

I don't think I could release an e-brake faster than .003 seconds.

It has helped me do consistent burnouts for sure. I had a 1.61 60' today.

Here's a good write up Super Chevy did on it.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/bra...t-light-em-up/

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 03-18-2018 at 08:24 PM.