Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-10-2018, 03:05 PM   #71
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by likerage View Post
That's going to be a huge upgrade.
Yeah, I’m excited. I have been sorely disappointed in the M3 from a performance standpoint and have been just waiting to get this lease over with.

As much as I wanted something better, I wasn’t going to take a bath to make a change.

Last edited by TRZ06; 03-10-2018 at 03:28 PM.
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #72
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Well, your car is used too. Maybe I am still that "that guy", but i drive the same car for less money. When driving down the road noone knows if I bought my car used or new. It looks the same as the guy that ordered his.
To clarify, I just recently started playing this game of buying 1 to 2 year old cars after many conversations with friends over me wasting money buying new. I was just like you guys and used all the same arguments. They made me realize that people these days trade cars 5 mins after they buy them (this very fourm proves that). There are good deals to be had on cars that are just as good as the untitled one still with warranties sometimes as good as new. I like to buy cars ,and Im not stuck on one brand. Why not save the depreciation if I can?
The OP's car above is a prime example of what Im talking about. Also, Im not beyond buying new if one comes with a deep enough discount to push it close to one that is year or two old. I appreciate you fellows that have to have the " Im the first one" feeling. If that money you are giving up is worth it to you than go for it. im just over that part of it.

Edit: and yes the idea of saving money is a crazy concept to many people these days. Thus peope living pay to pay, high CC debt , and no money in the bank just to have the lastest car, biggest TV, best cell phone and so on.
Ill accept being crazy. Thank you.
You and I must've switched roles. Because I was you up until last year. I thought the same thing...wait 2 years, get a helluva deal, etc. I used all the same excuses. And true, nobody is going to know if you got it new or used. But if they ask, would you lie about it? Would you say "yea but...". LOL!! It's all good and to each his own. But I got tired of buying used and searching for the best used deal and then wondering if the car was abused etc. So I went new. And it is a much better feeling and the peace of mind knowing everything about the car. Plus the warranty. Plus you don't have to worry about if someone had a 150 shot on it or tuned it or overheated it etc. People abuse these cars. And I won't be the guy picking up sloppy seconds, lol!!

And depreciation really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. If it loses $15,000 by the time I sell it, IF I sell it, like in about 4-5 years, then that is basically $3000 a year or $250/month. So imagine if you could rent a ZL1 for $250/month, lol!! That is nothing. You're losing pennies compared to what you're getting out of the car. If circumstances force a person to get rid of the car in the first 1-2 years then yea it is a bigger hit. But over 4-5 years you aren't losing much at all. People act like a little depreciation is going to put them in financial ruin. LOL!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #73
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
I agree with you BlaqWhole, except your math. A ZL1 will depreciate far more than $15k after 5 years...unless you hardly drive it.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #74
likerage

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
Yeah, I’m excited. I have been sorely disappointed in the M3 from a performance standpoint and have been just waiting to get this lease over with.

As much as I wanted something better, I wasn’t going to take a bath to make a change.
I nearly pulled the trigger on an M3 as well. I ended up going Mercedes instead. I also took a bath to get here to the ZL1. I am much happier now.
likerage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #75
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
If you are a car flipper you will lose money. If you are a car owner and bought the right car you will enjoy it for a long time. If you buy a car to beat to death you'll likely spend much in maintenance. Just the way it is. The new ZR1 is a badass Corvette. A shame I can't afford that car. I like the A10 ZL1 quite a bit though but I just stop short due to my hotrod. Cars depreciate fairly quickly. Buy in Q3 and you'll likely get better buys.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:08 PM   #76
baron95
2018 1LE, NASA Instructor

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I agree with you with one exception, I will be using it as my daily driver
My SS 1LE and my lifted Jeep Rubicon are the only vehicles in the house now. Neither of them are great daily driving vehicles (for most people), but I love driving them both. If weather is decent and/or the road is fun, the Camaro goes out. If weather sucks or the road is tough the Jeep gets out.

But mostly, I'm only really happy when I am taking the Camaro (Corvette before it) to the track and the Jeep to an off-road trip.

The SS-1LE is tough on patched road surfaces, expansion joints, etc. I have a very high tolerance for hard suspensions, but even I cringe - much more than in the Corvette Z51 I just sold. It is what it is. It is a tough suspension to live with for most people. Very few are willing to pay that penalty.
baron95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:31 PM   #77
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
I get the math. Unless I put my new car under glass and stare at it, I am going to lose money in any future transaction involving my car. I did not spend 70+K to stare at my car under glass. I can not quantify the value of the enjoyment I have gotten driving it, washing it, cruising with my teenage son in it, listening to it when I start it in the morning, and yeah, staring at it in my driveway. But, for those reasons and more the value exceeds what I spent, as non tangible as they might be.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #78
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by baron95 View Post
My SS 1LE and my lifted Jeep Rubicon are the only vehicles in the house now. Neither of them are great daily driving vehicles (for most people), but I love driving them both. If weather is decent and/or the road is fun, the Camaro goes out. If weather sucks or the road is tough the Jeep gets out.

But mostly, I'm only really happy when I am taking the Camaro (Corvette before it) to the track and the Jeep to an off-road trip.

The SS-1LE is tough on patched road surfaces, expansion joints, etc. I have a very high tolerance for hard suspensions, but even I cringe - much more than in the Corvette Z51 I just sold. It is what it is. It is a tough suspension to live with for most people. Very few are willing to pay that penalty.
Really I find it quite absorbant of freeway expansion joints. Very comfortable highway cruiser.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:30 AM   #79
crossroaddemons

Drives: 1971 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Cars in general are dropping big time these days. Any one is nuts to buy a new cars these days. Buy one or two year old cars and save tons. Ive decided to wait until more fellows such as yourself start flooding the market with these one to two year old high powered hotrods. With yours being an 2018, that's a big hurt to get out from under so soon. Hope your ZR1 is worth it.
Depreciation doesn’t matter if you keep your car. I understand new cars come out all the time. For me it’s called commitment. I bought the ZL1 because I wanted it. I still do. The fact there is a ZR1, GT500, Demon or a rocket from Elon Musk coming out doesn’t matter. It’s not the manufacturer fault. It’s the buyer. Get a car and keep it. That’s my two cents.
crossroaddemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #80
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossroaddemons View Post
Depreciation doesn’t matter if you keep your car. I understand new cars come out all the time. For me it’s called commitment. I bought the ZL1 because I wanted it. I still do. The fact there is a ZR1, GT500, Demon or a rocket from Elon Musk coming out doesn’t matter. It’s not the manufacturer fault. It’s the buyer. Get a car and keep it. That’s my two cents.
Depreciation always matters no matter how long you keep a car. Seems that most people fail to understand that. If you paid for the depreciation by purchasing new untitled car and I didnt by buying the same car one to two years older for less ,mainly do to depreciation, I then paided less for the same product. Time doesnt erase the fact that you paid more.

motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #81
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
You and I must've switched roles. Because I was you up until last year. I thought the same thing...wait 2 years, get a helluva deal, etc. I used all the same excuses. And true, nobody is going to know if you got it new or used. But if they ask, would you lie about it? Would you say "yea but...". LOL!! It's all good and to each his own. But I got tired of buying used and searching for the best used deal and then wondering if the car was abused etc. So I went new. And it is a much better feeling and the peace of mind knowing everything about the car. Plus the warranty. Plus you don't have to worry about if someone had a 150 shot on it or tuned it or overheated it etc. People abuse these cars. And I won't be the guy picking up sloppy seconds, lol!!

And depreciation really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. If it loses $15,000 by the time I sell it, IF I sell it, like in about 4-5 years, then that is basically $3000 a year or $250/month. So imagine if you could rent a ZL1 for $250/month, lol!! That is nothing. You're losing pennies compared to what you're getting out of the car. If circumstances force a person to get rid of the car in the first 1-2 years then yea it is a bigger hit. But over 4-5 years you aren't losing much at all. People act like a little depreciation is going to put them in financial ruin. LOL!!
I guess having a brand new car just isnt as important to me as it once was. Probably becuase Ive had so many. These days I would rather find the same performance at a better value. In the end it won't help me, but it will give my daughter a larger chunk.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #82
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
I think we're splitting hairs at this juncture. Depreciation matters not one cent to those that can afford it, and frankly, don't even consider it.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:21 AM   #83
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
I think we're splitting hairs at this juncture. Depreciation matters not one cent to those that can afford it, and frankly, don't even consider it.
That's all true. Some can afford it though, they just understand it's not profitable to.

My one friend or more like a mentor in business never drove new cars, and he drove the ones he did have forever. Also, he could buy and sell most people I know at the drop of a hat. He always gave me greif about loosing so much money on buying new personal vehicles. I didnt listen for all the same arguments and excuses you fellows are throwing back at me. I just recently in thst last year or so decided to give it a try. That is how I eneded up with my Hellcat. I waited, instead of needing to be first and saved a lot of money for a great car.
You are right in splitting hairs though. It just boils down to what is important to you. It's a personal decision indeed. I just hate to see threads like these with people trying to unload new cars for another new car knowing the hit they will take. I guess more people have more disposable income than ever before. I know our parents and grandparents wouldnt have ever operated that way.

Have a great Sunday everyone.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #84
SD1

Drives: 17' GTI DSG SE
So, saying all of this, explain why more of you aren't opting for SS1LE's??? It is a cheap and VERY effective track car and there is a lot of chat about the SS1LE being a more suitable street car, I for one am convinced. Having thought it over for the past ten days or so, really wanting a "nicer" car, in terms of creature comforts and the end all beat all power, and trans of the ZL1, is in the end, mostly unusable on the street. And while it is a faster car on the track, it does take a competent driver to accomplish that too. If you are truly interested in value OR that concerned with depreciation, the SS1LE is a very practical solution. One of the things I have enjoyed over the years is the competitive notion of posting track and autoX and even 1/4 mile times on par or better than that of more powerful and usually more expensive cars. Just a thought. I mean its a lot of fun to keep pace with GT3's and F430's in a lowly Cayman, how much MORE fun would it be to do it in a car that costs. 25% of those cars???
SD1 is offline   Reply With Quote