Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #71
CAM MAN

Drives: ALL 5 GEN CAMAROS
Thank You ,I'll be waiting
CAM MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:40 PM   #72
wer2foxs

Drives: 2010 VR SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
How did you paint it? what color/brand paint? Was it factory paint? Did you use adheasion promotor for plastic?
It looks really good.
I ordered the paint from dupli color and gave them the factory id of the paint that is located in the trunk area on a name plate. Nothing special preparing the plastic I used a fine grit sand paper to remove the sheen. I used four coats of gray primer and wet sanded between each coat. I used four coats of Rally yellow and wet sanded beteen the first two coats. I used three coats of plasti coat clear after removing all the tape and sprayed the whole cover. Be very careful with the clear it is very thin. Still not sure how it will hold up through the heat in the summer time though. Thanks for the compliment!
wer2foxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #73
Huskr26

Drives: 1965 Corvette F.I., 2010 LT1 Camaro
Thanks for the help

Hey, wer2foxs, skyman 08 and Atcer, Thanks for sharing the pictures and tips on personalizing engine covers and hood pads. I know that the question about the hood pad was a no brainer, but as I said I did it on my '88 and messed up the pad. I really like what everyone is doing to make their Camaro one of a kind. I hope I can have the same results that you have had.

Bookends!!! 1LT, Red, RS, White stripe, 20 inch Polished wheels, Manual tranny, Red BowTies, Seat and Dash covers, Airaid Air Intake, Magna flow exhaust
1965 Sting Ray 327 Fuelie, Muncie 4 speed, Side pipes, Rally Red, Black interior
Huskr26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:53 PM   #74
wer2foxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskr26 View Post
Hey, wer2foxs, skyman 08 and Atcer, Thanks for sharing the pictures and tips on personalizing engine covers and hood pads. I know that the question about the hood pad was a no brainer, but as I said I did it on my '88 and messed up the pad. I really like what everyone is doing to make their Camaro one of a kind. I hope I can have the same results that you have had.
Go for it man! Gotta show us pics!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:17 PM   #75
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
I painted my engine cover over the holidays, and added a few other goodies to the car. It seems like lots of folks keep the stripes above the bowtie black. I didnt' use pinstriping - the stripes were masked off like everything else.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:51 PM   #76
wer2foxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabyte View Post
I painted my engine cover over the holidays, and added a few other goodies to the car. It seems like lots of folks keep the stripes above the bowtie black. I didnt' use pinstriping - the stripes were masked off like everything else.

Did the same.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #77
Huskr26

Drives: 1965 Corvette F.I., 2010 LT1 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynabyte View Post

What Red paint did you use? I also have a VR Camaro and your paint matches great. Your cover looks . I have been looking at the Airaid CAI, as well, so I will have to use my imagination or our cars will look alike under the hood

Bookends!!! 1LT, Red, RS, White stripe, 20 inch Polished wheels, Manual tranny, Red BowTies, Seat and Dash covers, Airaid Air Intake, Magna flow exhaust
1965 Sting Ray 327 Fuelie, Muncie 4 speed, Side pipes, Rally Red, Black interior
Huskr26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #78
Dynabyte

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS/NPP Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskr26 View Post
What Red paint did you use? I also have a VR Camaro and your paint matches great. Your cover looks . I have been looking at the Airaid CAI, as well, so I will have to use my imagination or our cars will look alike under the hood
Thanks for the compliment I used 2 coats Bulldog Adhesion Promoter, 4 coats Duplicolor Victory Red Truck/Van/SUV paint, and 3 coats of 1K acrylic. I removed the tape from the stripes after the red paint, before the clear coat. The hardest part was masking it off - tape and I don't get along well so this was definitely a labor of love lol

Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #79
showstopper

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Sorry for the delay guys. Here is a little something that I came up with for the engine cover. What do you guys think? Cool, but not over the top in my opinion. I was thinking in the area where the bowtie used to be we could put the "born on date" of your car.

showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:58 PM   #80
hb35man

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Aqua Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by showstopper View Post
Sorry for the delay guys. Here is a little something that I came up with for the engine cover. What do you guys think? Cool, but not over the top in my opinion. I was thinking in the area where the bowtie used to be we could put the "born on date" of your car.

What I like best is in the bottom picture where you can see the screen that you inlaid in the squares.Nice touch! Make one in ABM and I'll take itLooks great!
hb35man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:45 AM   #81
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Quote:
Originally Posted by showstopper View Post
Will there be an option for 2 tone? Also have you come up with a price yet? Will it be a new cover or will you do the ones we have now? If you have a price pm it to me. As much as I want to do mine I just don't have the time :(. I'm looking for 2 tone. I want it to be blue and silver.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:43 PM   #82
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Show,
I don't mean to offend but after seeing what you did with the V8s this is a major letdown. If I wanted to just paint the center I'd do it myself. I don't know what I was expecting but I guess I was looking for something a little flashier. I do think the screens on the side are a good touch though, those look pretty cool.
CamaroDreams07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 04:57 PM   #83
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
For what they charge to buy this cover, it's well worth buying some paint and doing it yourself. For anyone interested in one already painted RJT, let me know and I'll let you have it cheap or at least make an offer, or if you want one to play with.

Peace!
Attached Images

chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #84
showstopper

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Show,
I don't mean to offend but after seeing what you did with the V8s this is a major letdown. If I wanted to just paint the center I'd do it myself. I don't know what I was expecting but I guess I was looking for something a little flashier. I do think the screens on the side are a good touch though, those look pretty cool.
I agree. But on the same token flashier is not always better. We went with a simple but yet noticable design.
showstopper is offline   Reply With Quote