Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 AM   #71
gfx designer

Drives: BMW X3
I was one of the designers of the GFX Package.

• Ground Clearance
    • Ground Clearance is unchanged
    • Approach Angle is lower than stock
    • Departure Angle is lower than stock
  • Colour
    • The kit was designed to be only available in one colour
    • GM/Holden had asked to have colour-matched kits quoted
  • Exhaust
    • The exhaust bezels were a LATE add to the kit.
    • Original concepts were round with no stainless steel bezel
    • First offs with the bezels looked badly due to the cut-off dual-wall exhaust pipe.
    • Just a few weeks before production, stainless steel covers were added to the cover the cut-off ends of the exhaust pipes.
  • Material
    • All components are made of the same material as the production fascias and rockers.
    • The front has a slightly higher flexural modulus to try to compensate for possible front end strikes.
    • The material is UV-Stable.
    • All components have been extensively tested to ensure they meet the same paint and stability criteria as any other production components.
    • Paint adhesion, chemical resistance, QUV Exposure, thermal-loading, etc, etc, SEVERAL pages of successfully passed tests, no worries about fading, warping, buckling, you name it.
  • Installation
    • I have installed MANY of these kits throughout the product's development.
    • The instruction sheet was a collaborative effort (read between the lines).
    • My advise, have a dealer perform the installation, it does require removing both the front and rear fascias, these are LARGE parts that you want to ensure are placed on a very clean and soft surface while you work on them.
    • Painful DIY would be the cutting of the dual-wall tail pipe so that they conform to the exhaust bezels.
  • Function
    • Vehicles were wind tunnel tested
    • The GFX kit has been determined to be functional

Unfortunately, the company I worked for at the time has since gone bankrupt and has moved the production to another company all together, so I am now out of the loop on any change after initial release.

Last edited by gfx designer; 10-27-2009 at 12:51 AM.
gfx designer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:03 PM   #72
AZ2SSRS

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Thanks. Its just a shame that you didn't appear months ago as there have been numerous discussion threads on this topic.
I always wondered, as did others, why the rear fascia exhaust bezels were square!
AZ2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #73
vesi

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS 45th Anniv.
Send a message via AIM to vesi
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results...r=92207441#top

can buy the gfx kit cheaper there.

I really wanted it for my 1LT, but my dealer told me they are no longer ordering them for the v6's due to it not fitting right. So I'm unsure if i should order it from this site anyway and hope for the best or just wait for an aftermarket one.

I like the rear the most, unsure how it would look with just the rear though.
vesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:29 AM   #74
gfx designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesi View Post
I really wanted it for my 1LT, but my dealer told me they are no longer ordering them for the v6's due to it not fitting right.
Odd, I assume that it is only the front splitter that is the issue, as the rockers and rears are common LS and SS. The attachment scheme for the LS splitter is very robust and through testing even performed excellently even when driving through an extensive trough filled with 12" of water. It does rely heavily on matching the shape of the production LS front fascia, all I can see is that maybe there was a post-launch change to the fascia that is causing a fitment issue with the GFX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesi View Post
I like the rear the most, unsure how it would look with just the rear though.
The rear diffuser flares out more just rearward of the rear wheels, the gfx rocker claddings flare out to match these lines. The production rockers are very much straight, with little to no cross-car flare to them.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #75
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
If the ground effects were painted the same color as the car from the factory like they should have been, I would have definitely got them.
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #76
gfx designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ2SSRS View Post
Thanks. Its just a shame that you didn't appear months ago as there have been numerous discussion threads on this topic.
I always wondered, as did others, why the rear fascia exhaust bezels were square!
Trust me, when the body and claddings 1st showed up on my computer screen a couple years ago, I SOOOO wanted to share them with the world, especially when reading all the posts about what this will be like and what that was going to look like. Not to mention how giddy I was every time I went to the studio to see the clay design master. I chose to keep my reputation and job instead.

Shortly after launch, my employer went bankrupt and I must admit that I disengaged from everything Automotive, especially considering that my baby was now going to be made by another company.

Here's a rather humourous story for you about the rear bezels though: When we fit the 1st ones onto a convertible camaro at Holden's facility in Melbourne in September 2008, a to remain unnamed Holden employee suggested that we remove the exhaust system completely and cut the ends of the pipes off with a band saw. Picture for yourself a technician and 2 engineers manhandling the exhaust system as the last 3-4 inches of the tail pipe was cut on a band saw. Trust me when I say that the cut-off process matured quickly from that point.
Old 10-31-2009, 02:01 PM   #77
Brown5150
#17,149

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
It came with the car. I purchased some one else's order. I guess they had issues.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:09 PM   #78
Ghost Rider
I'm one bad Mamma Jamma

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I'm very happy with mine.
Attached Images

DELIVERED on August 25, 2009- 2010 2SS/RS, Yellow, A6, VIN # 34902

DELIVERED on September 9, 2009 -Custom Bumblebee Stripes and engine cover.

DELIVERED on September 10, 2009 - Painted GFX
Ghost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #79
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
How dark are your tints? And is there an aftermarket body kit that will you the same look but cheaper?
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:59 PM   #80
Axe

Drives: 2018 LS
It was listed on the sticker when I saw my car on the lot for the first time - told em I dont want them, take it off the price, and we have a deal. Just coming from having a Mustang GT for 2 years, spending time on the Mustang forums has evolved, for me at least, into a strict-distaste for most of that stick on/Ebay car look stuff. I guess when theyre painted they dont look that bad.

I also wish to never hear the phrase "billet interior accessories" again!
Axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #81
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I think it makes the car look clunky. On top of that GFX is redic. expensive. I didn't order it with mine.

Please don't flame me. I know some people really like GFX and that's cool. I respect that. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #82
tmac1granger33
NM HT5

Drives: COTW 3/5/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I think it makes the car look clunky. On top of that GFX is redic. expensive. I didn't order it with mine.

Please don't flame me. I know some people really like GFX and that's cool. I respect that. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.
i kinda feel that way too
tmac1granger33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:34 AM   #83
samsumon

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac1granger33 View Post
i kinda feel that way too
Anybody know of a similar body kit that can be purchased for cheaper? Im looking to buy a Camaro prob mid to late 2010 and honestly Im willing to buy an aftermarket kit if it will look the same but COST less..I know the rest is a great bargain,like the RS package.
samsumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #84
midnight2010camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS, 2004 GMC sierra
To each his own but i love my car with GFX. When i saw the "BLACK" concept that was it for me.
midnight2010camaro is offline   Reply With Quote