Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #9255
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaronewbie View Post
Ok so I just picked up a 2010 Camaro SS. (New to me but only 25k miles so still fairly new). I went straight to a reputable muffler shop and removed the resonator, replaced that with an x pipe and removed the stock mufflers and switched them out to 40 series flowmasters. Nice and deep tone (not as loud as I want it to be) but for some reason it seems to drag on acceleration a little and on the freeway when RPMs are up. For example: take off at a greenlight, foot off the gas for a sec or two, then when I hit the gas again it seems to be a really deep rumble and it seems to drag/lag. Did removing the resonator cause me to lose back pressure or is one of the mufflers bad?? I didn't do anything out of the ordinary and have no other mods.

Concerned on how to fix this, I am waiting on my Vararam Intake and Power Wedge to come in and maybe that force of air will even her out. Not sure but sure hoping
Back pressure is a complete ricer myth. Won't do anything. Have you done a fuse pull yet? It's most likely on the low octane table.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:58 PM   #9256
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
For old time sake....

YEA BEBE!!!!!!!!!

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #9257
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Back pressure is a complete ricer myth. Won't do anything. Have you done a fuse pull yet? It's most likely on the low octane table.
anyone buying a 2010 should do the 5 / 20 fuse pull
Old 04-24-2014, 12:12 AM   #9258
camaronewbie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Oka I I should try this right now then? I am thinking maybe by removing the resonator in having an AFM issue and my superchips tuner I can disable that. But this article is interesting, maybe the dealer ran 87, for whatever reason and I'm running 91. So I should do the fuse pull guys???
camaronewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:14 AM   #9259
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Oka I I should try this right now then? I am thinking maybe by removing the resonator in having an AFM issue and my superchips tuner I can disable that. But this article is interesting, maybe the dealer ran 87, for whatever reason and I'm running 91. So I should do the fuse pull guys???
Absolutely you should... go pull them now and put them back in in the morning. That way you are sure. And I would be more worried about the previous owner than the dealer. If they were trading it in why not put 89 in it.

...and resonator is not going to cause any AFM issues.

...and welcome to C5
Old 04-24-2014, 12:27 AM   #9260
camaronewbie
Account Suspended

Ok I just went out and did it, but I am so confused then why I hit that low spot Nd it seems to drag/vibrate a little.. Weird...
Old 04-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #9261
camaronewbie
Account Suspended

Well just out the fuses back in and let her warm up and drove a little but it's still doing the same thing. It has to be from removing the resonator and or stock exhaust. There are a ton of threads regarding that and how it affects the AFM and I guess I should just disable that with the tuner I have ordered.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #9262
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Well just out the fuses back in and let her warm up and drove a little but it's still doing the same thing. It has to be from removing the resonator and or stock exhaust. There are a ton of threads regarding that and how it affects the AFM and I guess I should just disable that with the tuner I have ordered.
There is no way that affects AFM. It's only there to cancel out the noise or groan that comes when AFM kicks in.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:46 AM   #9263
camaronewbie
Account Suspended

That groan/noise is probably what I am hearing them. It's not all the time it's only at low RPM and I noticed it on the freeway last night. So then what would be the proper way to fix that noise and little bit of a low In performance (it feels like a hit a dead spot). Should I change the mufflers to one with a resonator in it like magnaflow or just disable the AFM/DOD with the tune? I want a way louder/deeper exhaust sound than what I have.

But it's weird, because even looking at all the other kits from borla, corsa, or flowmaster they all delete the resonator anyways so I don't know why getting this sound.

Here's the thread I was referring to about the AFM:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...25#post7607925
Old 04-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #9264
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
That groan/noise is probably what I am hearing them. It's not all the time it's only at low RPM and I noticed it on the freeway last night. So then what would be the proper way to fix that noise and little bit of a low In performance (it feels like a hit a dead spot). Should I change the mufflers to one with a resonator in it like magnaflow or just disable the AFM/DOD with the tune? I want a way louder/deeper exhaust sound than what I have.

But it's weird, because even looking at all the other kits from borla, corsa, or flowmaster they all delete the resonator anyways so I don't know why getting this sound.

DOD/AFM may actually be what you are experiencing. Now that you can hear it because of the resonator removal. This may also be the dead spot you feel as it's switching back to 8 cylinders. Disable DOD and see if that takes care of it. Either way, removing the resonators is all about sound and nothing else.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:46 PM   #9265
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Hey guys, quick question. Does the 2010 2SS/RS with Boston Acoustics system come stock with an amp? Stupid question I know...but I'm getting everything connected to start the install of my radio and I don't know if my car came with an amp from the factory. In fact, I have no idea what an amp is or what is does. Not very audio savvy. But yea, do I have a stock amp?
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:02 PM   #9266
TornadoSS
WICKDSS

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IOM LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Hey guys, quick question. Does the 2010 2SS/RS with Boston Acoustics system come stock with an amp? Stupid question I know...but I'm getting everything connected to start the install of my radio and I don't know if my car came with an amp from the factory. In fact, I have no idea what an amp is or what is does. Not very audio savvy. But yea, do I have a stock amp?
Yes, if you have the Boston acoustics option it has an amp. Its located in the trunk on the left side furthest to the rear under a soft panel you'll need to pull the rear plastic center panel to get to it.
TornadoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:24 AM   #9267
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoSS View Post
Yes, if you have the Boston acoustics option it has an amp. Its located in the trunk on the left side furthest to the rear under a soft panel you'll need to pull the rear plastic center panel to get to it.
Thanks dude!!
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #9268
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:

If all you're hearing is the AFM kicking in, there's no way to get rid of that except to turn AFM off. A louder exhaust will also make the AFM louder.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birm is awesome, buy from birm, buy from fsp, da hawks own da cup!!!!!, degenerate slugs, embrace the farmers tan, gpi ftw, is it stock?, ls7 build, rhino vvt cams, ricer v8s with k&ns